21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
ok thanks for the info is it a pain to remove it and put it back on

·
Registered
360 Posts
this is what i do when I prepare for the track...

the day before at home:

at the track:
1) install the slicks (if I'm going to run them)
2) remove the air filter and if I'm running the Bfi, install my headlight intake mod
3) change the serpentine belt to the short belt
4) tuck mirrors in (or if I'm in the mood..take side mirrors off)
5) remove tailgate
6) adjust the caltracs
7) lower tire pressure accordingly
What psi do you run your slicks at?

·
Registered
7 Posts
When i was running slicks on my last truck i was running 12 pounds. Start at 16 and work down . if there is a wobble as you go down go back up 2 pounds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Drags for the 1st time

This is great advise. I've been to the drags hundreds of times. Last fall was my 1st time down the strip. I went to a test and tune night. There were only about 30 cars there (Wednesday night). Track People we very cool and helpful the didn't make you feel like and idiot. Had a blast. Ran a 15.8 at 87.2 MPH. Cut great reaction times. Bet every one at the tree every round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Drags for the 1st time

This is great advise. I've been to the drags hundreds of times. Last fall was my 1st time down the strip. I went to a test and tune night. There were only about 30 cars there (Wednesday night). Track People we very cool and helpful the didn't make you feel like and idiot. Had a blast. Ran a 15.8 at 87.2 MPH. Cut great reaction times. Bet every one at the tree every round. When I get a chance I'll run it again.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I wanna say i have my slicks anywhere from 12lbs to 15 lbs...luckily when i had them early on I was able to go to a test and tune with not too many cars (I counted 12) and i was able to test different pressures.. and like AZ said, there was a guy with a really fast car and he was advising me about slicks and would watch me run and tell me what to do (guy in edelbrock shirt)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsxl5Y7q1ts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Excellent heads up! Thanks

Great to see someone put a thorough list of "do's" and "don'ts" to make things a little less stressful at the strip. Great Job ! :smileup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
well here is the answer to the old myth 100#=.10 daughter was able to ride with me truck turned 14.31- 14.32 with her in 14.28=14.28 with her out she weighs about 100#

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
How long between passes?

If the engine is heat soaked even a little, my runs get progressively worse.
usually adding a tenth or two with each run.

Intake air temps, coolant temps, oil temps, trans temps all 150º-200º = lower ET's

Three runs within an hour, the first one is Always fastest getting progressively slower
I often arrive at the track 2-3 hours early so its totally cooled down for the first pass.

After I do an initial 3 passes and realize things are not going to improve,
I have a seat and watch or shoot the shit in the pit with others doing the same until the sun goes down
(2 - 3 hours) and if the temps drop enough I just might break that first run by a tenth before I head home.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts