DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a custom tablet mount stand that I'd like to mount on my center hump, but I'm curious as to how far into the hump I can drill to set my screw holes. I've already pre-cleared the screw hole pattern so I don't get a ton of carpet and padding twisted onto my bit, but not sure of the following:

• A) How far can I drill without worrying about going into the transmission housing?
  • B) Should I use self tapping screws and just sink them 1/4" into the sheet metal?
  • C) If I use option B, will 1/4" mess up the trans housing?

I have a 14 hour road trip coming up in 4 days, which is just enough time to mount the tablet and get it ready to hookup to the ODB2 unit to bluetooth to my tablet to keep an eye on every facet of my truck.

Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm back on this project now that I have some spare time, so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I just need to know if I put a few 3/4" screws into the floor hump - is that going to pierce the tranny housing or cause any problems? I've already cleared the wires around where I need to tap.

After 200 views I was hoping someone may have an answer for me.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well this is a possible idea. Use a small drill bit, say a 1/8 " to drill through the hump. Am guessing there is a space between the trany and the floor hump. You should be able to feel/tell when you have gone through the hump but not into the trany housing. From there you can figure how much room you have for the screws you want to use. Good luck you should be fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's not rocket science. Drill away. Your transmission is a few inches below the hump. Once your drill bit pops through the floor pan, you won't hit anything. Just use medium pressure on the drill and some common sense. When you get the first hole done, you're gonna laugh at yourself for being so worried! Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have to put a console for two-way radios in my rig, I was wondering about this myself. On my last truck I just drilled away and luckily it I didn't hit anything under the floor. On this truck I'd like to be more cautious. To the OP, did you ever find out how much room is under there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts