DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to slam on the brake today, and after I release the brake, truck wouldn't move. I looked down and the light indicator above "D" was flashing. I didn't know what happened there. Truck seemed running fine once I switched to "P" and then switched back to "D".

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
The only time I've seen this is when I switch gears while truck is still rolling like from backing up and then going in to drive.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The flashing "D" indicates that the actual transmission gear position does not match the shifter position.

In your case, here is what I suspect happened: During your rapid stop, your engine idle speed dipped down below a certain limit (I think it's 380 RPM). If the TCM sees engine speed go below that threshold, it assumes the engine has stalled, and therefore it shifts the trans to Neutral. So your trans shifted itself to Neutral (which is why it didn't go anywhere when you stepped on the gas), and the shifter then started blinking because it still showed Drive (which did not match the actual trans position).

So the real problem is the unexpected dip in engine speed. There is nothing wrong with the trans (or shifter).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The flashing "D" indicates that the actual transmission gear position does not match the shifter position.

In your case, here is what I suspect happened: During your rapid stop, your engine idle speed dipped down below a certain limit (I think it's 380 RPM). If the TCM sees engine speed go below that threshold, it assumes the engine has stalled, and therefore it shifts the trans to Neutral. So your trans shifted itself to Neutral (which is why it didn't go anywhere when you stepped on the gas), and the shifter then started blinking because it still showed Drive (which did not match the actual trans position).

So the real problem is the unexpected dip in engine speed. There is nothing wrong with the trans (or shifter).
Thank you for the explanation. It's still weird that the truck did that, i will have to keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
There have been a couple of other people post the same thing. I'm not sure why it's programmed to go into neutral like that. Maybe so if it really did stall you could restart it but you still have to turn the shift knob so it just seems to confuse people.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I had to slam on the brake today, and after I release the brake, truck wouldn't move. I looked down and the light indicator above "D" was flashing. I didn't know what happened there. Truck seemed running fine once I switched to "P" and then switched back to "D".

If you get stuck in the snow and try to rock it back and forth between R and D, it will not shift and it will flash, almost impossible to rock them

·
Registered
2,576 Posts

Good Ifno here. "REP" points given for sharing it.

REP Points are that little scale, top right corner of every post, to right of the post #

When someone helps you out or teaches new info, pay it back, give the man some rep points.

Reactions: Turbovsix

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
There have been a couple of other people post the same thing. I'm not sure why it's programmed to go into neutral like that. Maybe so if it really did stall you could restart it but you still have to turn the shift knob so it just seems to confuse people.
I believe the reasoning is that if engine speed dips too low, the trans may not be able to maintain line pressure (due to low pump speed), and therefore may not be able to maintain clutch engagement. So it shifts itself to Neutral to avoid any possible clutch damage (due to slippage, due to possible low pressure).

Not positive that that's the whole story, but that's what I would figure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same thing happen to me 6 times now. Very frustrating, I just keep waiting for it to go out and not be able to go anywhere. Tow time :-(
The only way that I could fix this is to put foot on the brake, shift into park then shift back into forward gear and step on the gas while holding the brake at the same time. then when I felt the motor pull down due to the stress on the engine while in gear I would let up on the brake and it would fix it. at one point It happened to me with in minutes of each other. Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just did today. slowed for a left hand turn pressed the gas and the engine revved up but the truck didn't go. D light was flashing. I was slow rolling and rotated shift knob to neutral and back to drive then all was good.
Dealer claimed no knowledge... seems dangerous to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts