DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys iam pretty new to this forum but not new to dodge trucks, this is my second Ram to own. Long story short ive had the truck since may of 2010 since then i have had the rear seal replaced, then the yoke and new driveshaft. last friday me and family were driving back home from dinner when a horrible noise began next then you know the drive shaft is spinning on the ground and rear end is now locked up. truck only has 27,000 miles on it. truck is now at dealer and waiting for a phone call, just wondering has this happend to any one else out there?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your troubles and iv heard of a few ppl here having this same problem

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats great to know that iam not the only one, kinda sux though this is the 3rd time is been to the dealer cause of the rear end.. hope this time they replace the whole rear end instead of just the parts.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Jesus, pinion nut issue again? I know that the forums are a subset of the general Ram public out there, but I wonder how common this issue is? Hope they take care of you and fix it right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yup, Sounds like a pinion nut... Probably mashed your ring gear, and maybe a carrier bearing... Happened to me in my '01 at about 70mph. Locked the rear end, and sent the pinion through my diff... I also think the chick who was following me way to close may have s**t her pants...

·
Registered
69 Posts
This happend to me last month 19k on it. took it to the dealer about a week later i got it back they did not change the driveshaft but totally rebuilt the rear end. now because they didnt replace the drive shaft i have vibration issues. i took it back and now waiting going on 4 weeks for a new drive shaft. make sure you call Chrysler hotline and inform them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
happened to me last sunday...
pissed me right off.... a long hummmm... and then a big bang... shaft on the ground... drove 60km/hr.. on the i5... back to vancouver... covered under warrantee but still a bitch.. for 48000km... bs!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Chrysler/Dodge/Ram Engineers..... <<< ARE YOU LISTENING....????????????
This is bullsh!t to put up with...! Especially for what we pay today for these vehicles.
If my vehicle breaks down, i would loose my job because i have NO other vehicle options.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW didnt know there were so many other people out there with this issue. Here is the update, after many phone calls on monday i finally contacted DODGE RAM DIRECT NUMBER 1-866-726-4636 spoke to Rob EXT 4718266 he was very helpful and understanding even contacted the dealer direct to get me loaner right away, no questions asked. I got my truck back yesterday evening and can honestly say i notice a big difference with this new rearend, no noise at all and more responsive at the petal. they didnt replace the housing but did replace all the internal parts and the drive shaft keeping my fingers crossed it dosent happen ever again. I did inform Rob that about this forum and that iam not the only one out there with this issue and OBVIOUSLY it is an issue so hopefully they will step up to the plate and fix it before someone gets hurt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This happend to me last month 19k on it. took it to the dealer about a week later i got it back they did not change the driveshaft but totally rebuilt the rear end. now because they didnt replace the drive shaft i have vibration issues. i took it back and now waiting going on 4 weeks for a new drive shaft. make sure you call Chrysler hotline and inform them.
A friend of mine lost a driveshaft, and was afraid they wouldn't replace it and it would vibrate. So he beat it with a hammer to ding it up so they would have to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there any warning signs before it goes? I've got 24,000, and am starting to worry. Thanks Doug
no warning at all just a loud spinning pitch then thunk it was on the ground luckly we were pulling into my neighborhood and not on the freeway..

·
Registered
97 Posts
Was just looking around at used trucks on autotrader & checked a car fax on a 2010. At 12,600 miles pinion & ring gear were replaced. Now has 27,000 miles on it sitting for sale at the original selling dealer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i experienced the same thing last year around august.. so far no problems, im 10 000 km into the new rear end and its holding up... reading this forum something came to mind though.
shaft on the ground, shaft on the ground, lookin like a fool with ur shaft on the ground haha

·
Registered
126 Posts
It is truly amazing, I have seen 2 Dodge Ram trucks in the past few months broke down on the side of the highway with the drive axle hanging on the ground. Apparently Dodge must be waiting for someone to get killed and a law suit to be launched before they actually admit that they might have a problem. Then they wonder why people lose faith in a product.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not to defend anyone but this sounds like an AAM axle problem not a Chrysler problem, They buy the axles from AAM and install them they do not build the axles.

It would be interesting to know if GM is having this issue as well because they run the same axles in the GM pickups too.:4-dontknow:

I will have to keep an eye on mine as from reading this they are breaking in the 20k mile range which is where I am at now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the very same thing happen to me. It started with a loud sound almost like engine breaking that gets louder and louder until boom the shaft falls out. My rear end completely froze up because my pinion nut shot back into the housing after it spun off (which isn't even supposed to be possible). I got stuck in the middle of an intersection in the bus lane. Tried to use 4 wheel to drag my back end out but no luck. The tow truck driver said he just bought a 2010 ram and after he did, my truck was the 2nd dodge ram 2009+ that he had seen this happen on. Got towed to dodge and they spent 48 hours with the truck. If that happened on the freeway at 60+ mph who knows what could have happened..

Also, mine happened around 25k miles.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Is there anything that can be done to prevent this? I mean have a tech look at and tighten anything? I do not know how it goes in, or anything, just wondering.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wondering if the new rear end on 2011s and 12s solved this.
From these posts it seems like it's happening mostly to 2010s.
I saw a nice white Sport on the side of the road a couple of monthes ago with the driveshaft hanging.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts