DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm coming into my neighborhood and the truck doesn't feel right, I go to turn onto my street and clunk. The drive shaft dropped down and the rear end locked up, causing me to drift around the corner (kinda cool in an uncool way). Before I knew the rear end was locked up, one of my neighbors was kind enough to help get the shaft back into place, so we could at least roll it down to my house. Got it back in, cranked it over and popped it in N, no cigar. My son and neighbor pushed the truck but it swayed forward and came right back (didn't move) as if the parking brake was on or something-it wasn't. So there my truck sat, at the corner of my street with the hazards on waiting for the tow truck. I looked up the road I turned off of and you could see oil dripping all down the street and there was a big puddle of oil under the dropped shaft. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take pics until after it was back up :doh: I believe the rear end locked up and the force of the drive shaft not being able to move popped it out, and I assume the transmission is screwed too...any ideas what could cause it to lock up? It was towed to the dealer but I imagine I won't hear anything until Monday. The truck is an 09 Sport Crew 2WD Hemi w/ 42k. It was about to go in for an oil change...I guess we'll get it all in one shot. Not too worried thanks to the powertrain warranty, but still curious to see what it could be. Thanks guys, will post results when I hear more.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
sounds like you dropped the gearset...meaning the bolts came loose and when the gears inside dropped it siezed up and popped the shaft off.

Lucky you weren't going very fast, on the highway this could have ended badly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds like you dropped the gearset...meaning the bolts came loose and when the gears inside dropped it siezed up and popped the shaft off.

Lucky you weren't going very fast, on the highway this could have ended badly.
That's what I was thinking, something must have broken inside. I don't do any off-roading (2wd :sad:) so the likeliness of something getting in there isn't great; I didn't see any debris anywhere but doesn't mean nothing dropped out. Shortly before (>1 mile from home) it felt like tranny was grinding (could have been rear end), would slow up a bit. I was thinking that too about it happening on the road, I was supposed to go to Tampa (75 mph + drive), imagine that, rear wheels locked up on a crowded bridge in excess of 70... :att: I'm having them check everything, I read there is a tie rod recall and there are problems with the exhaust manifold bolts or something.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, truck remained locked up as it was being pulled onto the tow truck. Even the flatbed driver said he couldn't be responsible for the rear end after he saw it dragging on the road and up the bed lol. I guess whatever locked up in there was in there pretty good.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
There have been a few cases where the pinion nut has come loose allowing the pinion to move into the rear housing and bind up solid between the ring gear and the housing. When this happens the rear wheels will not turn and the driveshaft either gets pulled out of the trans (seldom) or breaks off at the pinion (most often).

Good thing you have powertrain warranty, as this is likely to get expensive. :str:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There have been a few cases where the pinion nut has come loose allowing the pinion to move into the rear housing and bind up solid between the ring gear and the housing. When this happens the rear wheels will not turn and the driveshaft either gets pulled out of the trans (seldom) or breaks off at the pinion (most often).

Good thing you have powertrain warranty, as this is likely to get expensive. :str:
I figured someone out there had had this happen before. That sounds like it's exactly what happened. And yes, the beauty of warranties. Without it, the transmission would have me REALLY worrying right now, but since I've got it, I'll be sleeping fine tonight :smileup: But just to do a tally on repairs, you've got the drive shaft, possible transmission, along with any damage to the rear housing, gears, pinions, labor, towing fee, and any collateral damage...if I had to pick up that tab, I'd be looking at a new truck. $$$$

I'm really digging your grill and emblem btw, looks great! I've got the mesh inserts though. I've though about doing something similar (actually replace the grill cross bars and inserts) but I have gray vinyl stripes going down the center that I'd have to get carried down over the cross bars.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Thank You!
The strips would definitely add to the challenge as they would have to line up perfectly or it would just look wrong.

I am not aware of anyone loosing the trans with this pinion failure. Many but not all have needed a new driveshaft, and it's about 50/50 on fixing/replacing the entire rear axle assembly. If the speed was low enough, the housing likely survived and they will replace the gears, bearings and seals. Keep us posted as to the final outcome. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You!
The strips would definitely add to the challenge as they would have to line up perfectly or it would just look wrong.

I am not aware of anyone loosing the trans with this pinion failure. Many but not all have needed a new driveshaft, and it's about 50/50 on fixing/replacing the entire rear axle assembly. If the speed was low enough, the housing likely survived and they will replace the gears, bearings and seals. Keep us posted as to the final outcome. :)
Exactly, that's why I was thinking of having it all done at once. I've had the stripes since mid 2009 so the vinyl is showing some age. Thinking of getting them painted on, would be a lot easier to add stripes on the grill that way.

Speed was low, >10 mph. Haven't heard anything yet, wasn't really expecting to given the weekend. I'll post up the final verdict from the dealership probably tomorrow. :smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I heard from them today, said some bolts broke off..They are going to drill them out and replace new ones. Also had him check all recalls while we were there. Should have it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, it was a lot worse than they originally thought...I'm getting an entire new rear end after the bolt broke off, I had them check a gasket after I noticed clicking, they tore the engine apart and realized the head gasket needs to be replaced, and I have the common bolt problem with the exhaust manifold. It seems to me that this was pretty catastrophic, and in my opinion, they really Dodged a bullet. It is to my understanding that if I had been injured or gotten into an accident, I may have a lawsuit against the Chrysler corporation. Anyways, glad to have it all covered under warranty :) Now we're looking at anywhere from another 1-2 days until it comes home. Just want to thank everyone, a lot of forums I have been on have been very welcoming, but never this much. I've gotten a lot of comments and even messages offering assistance and welcoming me to the community. Glad to be here, look forward to meeting more of you!

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I figured that when you mentioned the dropped drive shaft, that it may be the U-bolts or the Pinion nut
Once the Pinion nut comes off, there is nothing holding the Pinion shaft in place & it can slide into the Ring Gear & break teeth off & that is just the beginning

If both the Pinion & Ring gear are damaged, now would be the best chance of doing an upgrade of the rear end by getting a better ratio. It will cost you some out of pocket money, but if you tow or haul much, it is worth it

Good Luck

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
When I read your post about the bolts breaking off and they were going to drill them out an replace them I thought 'No Way. Broken driveshaft bolts don't cause the rear end to lockup like yours did'.

Then I read the post about the damage being a bit greater and your getting a new rear end. :) That sounds more like the necessary repair to go along with the symptoms you indicated. Don't be surprised if they end up replacing the driveshaft too. Although some survive this type of failure, not many do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I read your post about the bolts breaking off and they were going to drill them out an replace them I thought 'No Way. Broken driveshaft bolts don't cause the rear end to lockup like yours did'.

Then I read the post about the damage being a bit greater and your getting a new rear end. :) That sounds more like the necessary repair to go along with the symptoms you indicated. Don't be surprised if they end up replacing the driveshaft too. Although some survive this type of failure, not many do.
Yeah, when I first talked to him, I thought he may not know all that went wrong...but he certainly does now :LOL: I'm satisfied, for a little while, I was concerned that I would be dealing with a now de-virgitized truck that would be giving me constant problems but since he's replacing the entire rear end, I'm back to worry-free. I think he knows what he's up against now...I'd really love to see the truck now lol, the engine is torn apart, rear end torn apart...wheels may be off for rotation...as per the ratio upgrade, I've thought about it, but I may be handing over the 09 to my son and pick up a 13 or 14 model when they come out and I don't tow often, I'll have a full dump trailer every now and again but most of that wear and tear is on all of my commercial trucks, not this one.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Just remember that with a new rear end, you need to follow the new vehicle break-in procedures. Most people believe the break-in period is for the engine and although that is part of it, the primary purpose of the break-in is to work harden the differential gears. The first 500 miles are more critical then most realize. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just remember that with a new rear end, you need to follow the new vehicle break-in procedures. Most people believe the break-in period is for the engine and although that is part of it, the primary purpose of the break-in is to work harden the differential gears. The first 500 miles are more critical then most realize. :)
What might that procedure be? I'm one of those people who is most concerned with the motor, didn't even know the rear end aged or became broken in. I'll do a quick search but any tips are appreciated. Didn't get it back today, wasn't expecting to given the long list of things to be fixed. Tomorrow should be the day unless there is an unforeseen problem that comes up on the test drive.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Avoid full throttle acceleration in low gear
Avoid trailer towing
Avoid highway driving at constant speed

A combination of moderate acceleration/deceleration is very good for the rear end gears. This is typical of normal city driving with a bit of highway thrown in for good measure. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Avoid full throttle acceleration in low gear
Avoid trailer towing
Avoid highway driving at constant speed

A combination of moderate acceleration/deceleration is very good for the rear end gears. This is typical of normal city driving with a bit of highway thrown in for good measure. :)
I should have no trouble getting some highway driving in on city streets haha. I just got it back, took some pages of the receipt and will upload in a minute. If they aren't legible, I'll just type them. There's quite a bit on there :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
For the drive shaft issue:

And then for a clicking sound as well as the exhaust manifold bolts:

And here's a fun one, they broke a drill bit and couldn't remove it, so they replaced the whole thing:

Sure glad I didn't pick up that tab :smiley_thumbs_up::smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Bet it sounds a whole lot better especially at startup. :)

Nice to see some real honest details on the WO. Removing those broken studs can be a real bear!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bet it sounds a whole lot better especially at startup. :)

Nice to see some real honest details on the WO. Removing those broken studs can be a real bear!
It sure does! No more sounding all messed up due to the clicking. And yeah, I've always been happy with this dealership. My wife used to get cars there (this was before they sold Dodge's, only Chrylsers and Jeeps) and now I have. Service is great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts