DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a disclaimer: I'm still REALLY new to this stuff, but the bug bit me hard so I'm learning as I go!

I've got a 97 1500 4x4 with a NP231 and was wondering if anybody knew of any kits to make it a bit stronger? Or even a case that I could swap in to replace it? These Idaho back roads can fill up with rocks of all sizes pretty quick, so I don't want my t case failing me up in the mountains!

Also, anybody know how to properly measure the drive shafts, or know the dimensions already? I want to get some stronger ones made, or at least get new ones and keep the stock ones as spares, but I'm completely up a creek with this project. I don't know the U-joint size or the proper lengths of the shafts. Anybody!?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
If you don't put giant tires I can't believe a 318 will hurt that transfer case. I don't know how much stouter the hemi ones are, NV242 I think, but I use my truck to yard out logs in low 4x4 with around 3,000+ lbs of fire wood in the bed for added traction. I use a 15,000 lb test dacron tow rope with heavy slip chains and many times a log would catch a stump and break the rope. The only problem has been a stretched drive chain, which only took 1 hour to replace, less than $100 for the part. Almost 200,000 miles, that's it, meanwhile my friends with Silverados are replacing transmissions etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's great to hear. Any clue where I could get a good rebuild kit? My transmission and t case are both leaking, so I figured if I'm gonna have to get the leaks fixed I might as well just get em rebuilt while I'm at it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts