DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to the forums here, I've actually used it quite a bit to figure out some problems I have had that the dealer just couldn't for whatever reason but non the less this is my first post. I have been chasing a squeak in my front end suspension for the past 3 months or so. Just to start I have a 2019 1500 Classic EcoDiesel with 36,000 Km on it (Issue started around 26,000 - 28,000 Km) received the truck in late January of 2020. When it started it was only noticeable when going over light bumps or bouncing up and down on the side sill while it was parked, to add to the frustration it also needed to have rained and stopped raining after 1 - 3 hours before doing this. Since I live in the Southern West coat of British Columbia it started raining about 2.5 - 3 months ago and has only really stopped for a decent amount of time recently. When its raining the sound was not audible regardless of what you did to the truck, although every time it would stop raining and I could hear it I talked to the dealer and by the time I got off work and to the dealer ship it had rained again and you could no longer hear it. Just the past 2 - 3 weeks it has started to clear up and now the squeak is quite loud, when turning, bumps, jiggling the truck, rain or not you can hear it. I have booked an appointment with the dealer come Monday for them to investigate but have done a little of my own investigations and would like to get some other peoples opinions on this topic since I haven't seen much relating to warranty. I looked into this the other day and I think it is coming from the driver side lower ball joint. It definitely sounds like the origin or at least that area. I disconnected tie bar ends and stabiliser bar link to the knuckle and still got the sound. Now i do occasionally off road the truck but not often. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this in terms of warranty and what they might say as I cant really find any answers on the matter. If something like this has already been posted I apologise I must have missed it somehow

· Registered
493 Posts
Hello I am new to the forums here, I've actually used it quite a bit to figure out some problems I have had that the dealer just couldn't for whatever reason but non the less this is my first post. I have been chasing a squeak in my front end suspension for the past 3 months or so. Just to start I have a 2019 1500 Classic EcoDiesel with 36,000 Km on it (Issue started around 26,000 - 28,000 Km) received the truck in late January of 2020. When it started it was only noticeable when going over light bumps or bouncing up and down on the side sill while it was parked, to add to the frustration it also needed to have rained and stopped raining after 1 - 3 hours before doing this. Since I live in the Southern West coat of British Columbia it started raining about 2.5 - 3 months ago and has only really stopped for a decent amount of time recently. When its raining the sound was not audible regardless of what you did to the truck, although every time it would stop raining and I could hear it I talked to the dealer and by the time I got off work and to the dealer ship it had rained again and you could no longer hear it. Just the past 2 - 3 weeks it has started to clear up and now the squeak is quite loud, when turning, bumps, jiggling the truck, rain or not you can hear it. I have booked an appointment with the dealer come Monday for them to investigate but have done a little of my own investigations and would like to get some other peoples opinions on this topic since I haven't seen much relating to warranty. I looked into this the other day and I think it is coming from the driver side lower ball joint. It definitely sounds like the origin or at least that area. I disconnected tie bar ends and stabiliser bar link to the knuckle and still got the sound. Now i do occasionally off road the truck but not often. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this in terms of warranty and what they might say as I cant really find any answers on the matter. If something like this has already been posted I apologise I must have missed it somehow
You sure it isn't control arm bushings?Can't see rain affecting ball joints.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sure it isn't control arm bushings?Can't see rain affecting ball joints.
So I did a bit more digging, I think it may be the lower strut mount bushings. When I rock the truck side to side and you grab the lower body of the strut you can feel it creaking. Not sure if bushing for the lower mount or something to do with the strut. unfortunately I need a loaner vehicle while the shop has my truck so I need to wait about 3 weeks they are also trying to get me to sign something that allows them to charge me an hour of diagnostic time.

· Registered
493 Posts
Whatever bushing you think might be the offender spray it with silicon spray and see if it goes away.Sometimes you have to loosen the bolt to get the spray to work into it.Best to re-tighten the bolt with the weight on it afterwards.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever bushing you think might be the offender spray it with silicon spray and see if it goes away.Sometimes you have to loosen the bolt to get the spray to work into it.Best to re-tighten the bolt with the weight on it afterwards.
I did try this with both the lower ball joint and the strut bushing mounts, it wasn't a silicon spray but it was a white lithium grease for it with no noticeable change. I would expect regardless of what type of grease I would it should at least reduce the noise slightly but it didn't at all. I also sprayed all the strut upper mounts and the upper strut nut. I think this may indicate something with the strut has gone bad?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.