DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drivers side bearing/hub is bad so I am replacing it. Fairly simple task, got everything off very easily. CV shaft will not slide out of the diff. I did some research to see if maybe there was a clip or something I was missing, apparently cv axle is supposed to simply slide off.

I can only move it a couple of millimeters in either direction. My guess is that I am not moving the cv on the intermediate shaft, rather moving the intermediate shaft inside the diff and the cv is rust welded to the intermediate shaft.

From what I understand the cv is female and slides over the intermediate shaft and subject to moisture and salt getting in between. I think a smarter move would have been to make both ends of the cv shaft male.

Am I missing something? Is there a trick? I watched a video of some guy using a small pry bar and accomplished this task with ease.

Thanks

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
How much pressure/force have you used to get the shaft out? You may want to get a slide puller, attach it to the shaft and give it a few good tugs. A big dead blow hammer may work as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up separating the upper ball joint and tire rod end, after that I was able to gain access to the three bolts for hub and there was no need to continue to fuss with the CV axle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts