DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I originally thought just my oil pressure sensor was going bad on my 2000 1500 with the 5.9 motor. When I turned a corner it would ding and show no pressure then as I accelerated back to the speed limit it would turn off and read normally. When I would brake to stop at a red light or stop sign or whatever it would ding and say no oil pressure. Basically any time I stopped slowed down or turned there would be no oil pressure but when I hit the gas it would read normally. Me (most likely being a dumbass) drove it like this for a while and it now reads that there is never any oil pressure and on occasion when I turn it briefly reads normal on the pressure until I straighten out then goes back to saying no oil pressure. My truck basically says it never has any oil pressure and now has a noise to it. (Again I’m an ignorant young and broke dumbass) I have driven it saying there’s no pressure for approximately 1500-2000miles yeah you read that right......... Not my proudest moment..... but I was just curious what anyone might think it could be. The temp gauge does read normal by the way and always has.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check it with a mechanical gauge.
You did not put that many miles on an engine with no oil pressure.
it could be the pressure sender.
OK, I edited this I see it's a 2000 with the 5.9 (360) engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a Chevy Colorado that did the same thing (no oil pressure when hard brakes and turns). Only happened about 2500 miles after an oil change, change the oil 2-3 quarts were gone. After changing oil the light would not come on no matter how hard I cornered nor how hard it braked. That truck never left a puddle where it was parked, never had any kind of smoke.
At the very least drain your oil and see how much is there, that's where I would start, also check for metal... You said there was a noise and you werr driving with no oil pressure...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
No idiot light? No oil pressure the light will come on even if the sender for the gauge is bad. You may also have the pick up screen plugged up. Need to check it with a mechanical gauge and see what you have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.