DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new 1500 a couple days ago and having the short bed, I'm looking at getting a bed extender. My concern is that driving with the tailgate down will leave the tailgate vulnerable to damage, whether from the tailgate bouncing or loose rocks on the road getting kicked up. I don't have any mud flaps and I'd prefer to avoid installing any.
Does anyone else have any experience with driving with the tailgate down?
Any damage to the tailgate?
Suggestions on how to prevent that possible damage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
I don't see how driving with the tail gate down is going to cause damage to the tail lights. And as far as damaging the tail gate, unless you're bahaing with your truck, I don't think you're gonna hurt the tail gate either.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I read that rocks kick-up and hit the tail gate when it is down and you don't have mud flaps.

Greg

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
It's true. the tailgate can get dinged up. But if you want to use the extender then what else are you going to do? Lot's of people do it. It's a truck. It serves a utilitarian need and it gets banged around. That's what trucks are for.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
I read that rocks kick-up and hit the tail gate when it is down and you don't have mud flaps.

Greg
Gotcha... Don't know why I was thinking the OP said the tail lights would get dinged with the tailgate down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's true. the tailgate can get dinged up. But if you want to use the extender then what else are you going to do? Lot's of people do it. It's a truck. It serves a utilitarian need and it gets banged around. That's what trucks are for.
Yea I know that eventually it'll have a few marks here and there, but I'm just trying to find a way to keep it looking new as long as possible.

I had read something about some sort of plastic sheet applied to the tailgate as some sort of protection...maybe a carpet cover that is self-adhesive that could easily be applied and removed? Just hoping someone might have a trick they've used or seen used that would look and work better than having a blanket wrapped around the tailgate.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've owned numerous trucks over the years and have hauled items with the tail gate down. I've never had any issues or damage. I suppose that anything is possible, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Epheisey, you could have that clear vinyl protector applied to your entire tailgate if that'll make you feel safer. It's the same stuff they put on the front and sides of vehicles.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I carry my 4 wheeler all over with the gate down. the only problem ive had is mud collecting inside the gate up by the spoiler. no rock chips though and sometimes I haul hours away

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If it were me, I would do as Gantman suggested and put the clear vinyl sheet on the tailgate.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Working at an RV dealership, you see customers with full flip on covers to protect their tailgates from bouncing rocks. There is always the gate glove.. Looks like it would do the job, but bit pricey.. HERE is the link.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
ive done it once when I moved (packed the bed to the sky and back) and didnt have any issues... only thing that happened was as soon as I went into reverse, the parksense started screaming right away due to the tailgate being "seen" by the sensors... scared the crap out of me, lol...

no damage though, however, it wasnt a long drive...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Working at an RV dealership, you see customers with full flip on covers to protect their tailgates from bouncing rocks. There is always the gate glove.. Looks like it would do the job, but bit pricey.. HERE is the link.
Now that's along the lines of what I was looking for! Definitely a bit more expensive than i was thinking, but that's cheaper than repainting the tailgate.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Now that's along the lines of what I was looking for! Definitely a bit more expensive than i was thinking, but that's cheaper than repainting the tailgate.
Yeah I am sure there are better priced ones out there, was just the first one I found.

Could always just wrap a blanket around it and run a tie strap around the tail gate to hold it tight.

·
Premium Member
32,675 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
The danger with tying something around a painted surface is chaffing I'd think. You get this insidiously slow buildup of grit that sandpapers everything it contacts. :(

OP, why are you so opposed to mudflaps? I run 'em. and here I am hanging with the cool kidz :50:

Can't be that bad!

Var

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
The danger with tying something around a painted surface is chaffing I'd think. You get this insidiously slow buildup of grit that sandpapers everything it contacts. :(

OP, why are you so opposed to mudflaps? I run 'em. and here I am hanging with the cool kidz :50:

Can't be that bad!

Var
I'm a cool kid??? Saaawwwwweeeeeetttt!

Damn, I just lost the kewlness, didn't I? :doh:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I'm a cool kid??? Saaawwwwweeeeeetttt!

Damn, I just lost the kewlness, didn't I? :doh:
Pffttt! We wish .. we're just hangers on. GTyankee, and the like are the cool kats round these parts :58:

Var

·
Registered
6,707 Posts

Can't be that bad!

Var
Ya I got some bad news for you man.. After reviewing your "cool kidz" application, we noticed that you are running mudflaps. See apparently when we first checked the resumes, someone had missed that. I hate being the bearer of bad news, but we are gonna need your name ID card back. If you could close the door behind you, that would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
:LOL: It all depends on the mud flaps, not my thing but they can look nice.

If tying a blanket or towel around the tailgate. It would be best the put foam or extra passing on parts where the strap would be closest to touching the paint, the problem could be avoided.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Thread jack ahead - last one OP .. sorry!

CHP, this is you and me ..

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know I'm training to become a cage fighter. Since when, Kip? You have the worst reflexes of all time. - Try and hit me, Napoleon. - What? I said come down here and see what happens if you try and hit me. Such an idiot. Let me see what your best move is. - [Sighs] - [Doorbell Rings] - [Sighs] - [Doorbell Rings] I'll go get it. Geez!
And this is my hero screaming in yer face as I slam the door!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts