DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ongoing headlight issue, I installed an Opt7 LED kit in my 2012 ram 1500 sport,about 2 weeks ago, I replaced the fogs, as well as high and low beams.
Problem is my DRL on my Passenger will not light/stay lit. I am in Canada and DRLs are mandatory. When I put truck in gear the drivers side DRL comes on every time, the Passenger side DRL will come on and go out 1 or 2 times then stay off or not light at all. I have bypassed the factory headlight plug that seems to cause issues for other people and swapped everything from one side to the other to eliminate the possibility of faulty equipment.
It gets weirder, when the lights come on at night automatically everything seems to work most of the time, I just can't get that one DRL to work properly on the passenger side!!
I have read that the truck will output a lower voltage to the DRLs and full voltage when the lights are truly on. but if I turn the lights on with the switch manually I am still stuck with the intermittent problem. I am by no means an electrical expert, I have read some things on "Canbus" etc. but do not fully understand, I am praying it is not the TPIM. I also do notice some flickering but can't be noticed from the drivers seat. The install also included capacitors.
If anyone can provide some insight I would be forever grateful, this is my first post to this forum so if I forgot anything please feel free to let me know.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Here's the problem, YOUR TRUCK WASNT DESIGNED FOR THE LED KIT.

Seems pretty simple, remove the LED kit....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Switched it back over to stock halogens today as Mr.helpful suggested. No change, same issue, the problem is in the truck, anyone have any CONSTRUCTIVE information to help guide me towards a solution? greatly appreciated. Id like to keep the LED due to improved viz, I do alot of night driving.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have converted everything on my 2012 to LED, besides my headlight bulbs themselves, which are HID lows and Halogen high beams. I have no problem with my LEDs or HIDs flickering or anything. Full disclosure, I also don't have DRL lights as I live in Indiana. My old 2001 came from Canada however and did have them, so I have very minor experience. However, Two ideas, have you checked all your grounds? Since you remove the headlight itself to change bulbs, its possible you loosened a ground or maybe even partially pulled a wire out of the crimp on the terminal that is fastened to your chassis.

Idea #2, Check your fusebox, see if the DRLs are divided into two sides, for example, our turn signals/parking lights are divided into passenger side/drivers side. I know this because when I first installed my spyder CCFL halo lights, the CCFL ballast was faulty and blowing fuses for my drivers side, so I had turn signals but no Parking lights. On the front or rear drivers side. If the DRLs are divided into two sides, you may have a relay issue, or an issue with the passenger side wiring. This may help narrow it down, check that stuff out and come back and we will see what we can do!:thk:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts