DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Vehicle is a RAM 2500 5.7 Hemi. Well I am 50+ years old and have never before dropped a part down an intake. I was pulling the MAP sensor and didn't cover the very small hole for the sensor. Somehow the 8mm screw dropped from my hand and into this ever-so-small hole.

Have tried a borescope, and multiple retrieval tools. I was hoping to avoid having to remove the intake manifold.

The 8mm screw is stainless so it is NOT MAGNETIC!

I am hoping somebody has already pulled intake manifold and has some input as to how I can get this screw out of the intake without having to remove the manifold. Thank you for any thoughts or ideas.

Thank you!
Greg

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've retrieved small parts from tight places using a stick and some sticky substance attached to the end. Is this possible for you with the aid of your bore scope?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both of those are good ideas. I cannot see the screw which really hampers me. I did try both ideas as soon as it happened. I attached sticky electrical tape to the end of semi flex 10 gauge wire hoping that the wire was heavy enough to keep its shape but then I could bend it if necessary. I can't tell if I have the wire anywhere near the part. Let me know if any thoughts or suggestions or method.
I also tried vacuum. I have a strong shop vac but the hole in the manifold is only about ½" and I cannot find attachments that small but then would also need them to bend/flex as I need to go 90° right and then 90° straight down. Let me know if any thoughts or suggestions on my method.
Thank you Richard66 and 14vern. Maybe I need to try both of these again.

Thank you!
Greg

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Attache a piece of rubber hose small enough to go into the intake to your vacuum, maybe a 1/4 inch or a 3/8 in. You will have to rig it up with some kind of filter to catch the screw and make it air tight in the inlet to the vacuum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great idea! Here's what I did try: I have a vacuum hose reducer which takes me from 2" down to about ¾". Then using duct tape, I attached 5/16" or 3/8" rubber fuel hose.
It lost a lot of vacuum in the step downs to 5/16" as if it was not pulling any vacuum. Rather there the vac seemed jammed. Maybe I should try a weaker vac?

Good idea and let me know if you see something in my procedure listed above that I need to change. I am thinking maybe I should try this again.
And AirForce for 26 yrs? Thank you for your service.

Thank you!
Greg

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Will 3/4 inch fit in the intake? Go with the biggest that will fit in the intake.

Thanks for the thanks, but it was my pleasure to serve, loved it all including the good and the bad.

·
Premium Member
Ram 1500 sport
192 Posts
can you use a small camera to see where it might be, I have a depstech camera i have used to find where things are. then go and get them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Small fuel line is stout enough not to collapse under the shop vacuum pressure. Duct tape down and seal each seam well through your homemade adapters and you will create tremendous suction and then give it hell... Much cheaper playing this game than pulling it all apart. Best of luck!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Maybe open the intake some place to let air into it then try the vac.
Also look all around the screw may have fallen some place else

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Small fuel line is stout enough not to collapse under the shop vacuum pressure. Duct tape down and seal each seam well through your homemade adapters and you will create tremendous suction and then give it hell... Much cheaper playing this game than pulling it all apart. Best of luck!!!
Thank you all for your help. Here's an update: yesterday I worked with the vacuum. The problem that I am having is related to changing direction of the vac line. The MAP sensor hole changes direction. First straight down, then changes to the right and then I need to make another change in direction again toward the screw which would again be straight down. However at this point, my vac line is inside the intake manifold and I cannot make the change in direction.

I did remove the throttle body to open up the intake and navigate the borescope camera. There seems to be multiple obstacles in the way. The scope went in the rear of the intake and the screw is up front so I have the full length of the the intake to navigate. Thanks again for the advice. Please do let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas about my methods.

I am sure about where the screw went in. I watched it go down the tube what seemed like slow motion. It landed in the hole and I went to pick it out but it then fell down into the abyss.

Thank you!
Greg

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Greg, at this point with all the time you have invested in this project it might be the right time to just remove the intake. Get the screw and get back on the road.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Greg - I know the frustration....Dropped a tap in to a 4.3L GM it slide around the cam and wedged against a crank lobe and the block. Had to remove valves and move the tap around until it drop in oil pan and then lower pan to fish it out. Good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts