DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookig for exhaust ideas , previous owner gutted my 08 Ram and now it sounds like its drowning in MDS mode

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
define gutted? like all the sound deadener and everything on the interior or gutted the cats?

There are easy fixes for both we just need to know which direction to point you

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yeah if it's a gutted muffler you could just replace it with another oem muffler, or another aftermarket muffler. I doubt it's gutted cats or you'd have CEL's.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
With no cats and throwing CELs MDS wont kick on. Or at least mine is off right now cuz of CEL about no cats

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry for the takig so long. I",m not to good here. Dodge has only got a muffler, not even sure what CEL are or is. This is the 1st truck I've owned n 20 yrs. Never a Dodge, but now my wife has Chysler and daughter a Jeep. So I've got the brands covered. But any way, I'm guessin the Cats are the canisters right off the exhaust manifold??? The dude or Dudes that owned it, since it had two priors, left me wiyh a single in single out to a y then duals. So ttas where I"m at right now

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
That sucks! I'd go with new cats and a Y-pipe from Magnaflow. What about your muffler? Is it an aftermarket one? If it is you might want to look at putting a stock resonator on your tailpipe if one isn't there already.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No resonator, not sure if cats are even there, not sure what I'm lookin for. Like I said havent had a truck n a long time. The muffler, lol, sounds ok till mds then the bottom falls out. Single in an out then y to duals.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yeah if ya got no cats and no resonator, it's gonna sound bad. My brother tried that and after riding with him on a 4 hour trip, then back, I told him there was no way I was gonna ride anywhere with him again until he fixed his exhaust.

He put the right cats on his 2009, then went with a Magnaflow muffler and got a new resonator welded on. It still sounds good but don't drive ya crazy in the cab.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so what are the cans on the side of the exhaust manifold? So, then I need to invest in a cat and at lest a Magna Flow, I here the new Rams are coming with DynaFlow mufflers. Went to the dealer the other day and that's what tech ttold me, there not marked but thats what they are.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Not sure what "cans" you are talkin' about. Got a picture?

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
I believe originally it came with at least one catalytic converter, if you live in a Smog State
then to make it right, you should have a Single In/ Dual Out muffler
then 2 resonators out near the tips

I prefer the 18" Magnaflow, others like the Borla, some like some other brands, like Flowmaster

If you decide to upgrade your system, consider a Magnaflow X pipe too

2008 Hemi without complete exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9OPDGLsB_A

sweet sounding BORLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=P-uJ3-DQG20&NR=1

magnaflow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=womSA7XodS8&NR=1

this member is redoing their exhaust, front to back
http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102324

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanx for the info, finally found your reply. I'm new qt this forum deal. I'm n Fl. don't believe we r, but who knows at this point. Any idea what those canisters might b on each side right out the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Those are the cataylatic converters....:smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so much for that info, I had know idea of what was goikg on with the exhaust. I really just need a decent muffler. Like a magna flow or Dynamax. Does that look like some kind of cherry bomb or what. Cuz I'm getting some kind of horrible noise n MDS, like the exhaust is in H2O.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I don't like the sound of the exhaust when the MDS kicks in,so I drive mine in 5TH instead of drive,this disables the MDs.Only about a 1MPG difference.Try it it might disable it on an 08 too.:smileup::smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Where in FL are you? Near Orlando by chance?

The "cans" just off the exhaust manifolds are the cats, and then after that there should be a y pipe(two pipes merging into one), then you have your muffler thing (it looks like a cherry bomb type thing to me), then a reversed y pipe(one pipe splitting into two) then straight pipe the rest of the way.

To fix your issue, replace the current muffler/cherry bomb with a magnaflow or similar(straight through muffler) and add a small resonator near each tail pipe. That should fix your problem...

·
Registered
6,250 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sweet, ya I'm near Orlando. Down here in Ft Pierce or Ft Misery as I like to call it. Nice to meet a fellow Fl, boy. This last guy or the orig. owner of my truck kind of jack up the exhaust like that, but I'm gonna fix her up sweet with exhaust in couple of weeks when I find a good shop in Vero Bch. Thanks for the replies with help.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts