DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys new to forum here (and Rams) and not sure if I am posting in the right section so forgive me if not.
My '17 Bighorn, Cummings 6.7, has the dual batteries. This truck doesn't get used a lot as I drive a work vehicle a lot and have a beater truck to use for dirty work. I plan on not running my Ram in the winter much due to the salt they put on the roads here! Object here is to make this truck last to retirement.
Question is since it sets a lot how is the best way to put a battery tender of some sorts on the truck with the dual batteries? Can I just put a pigtail on one of the batteries and connect to a tender and keep both batteries charged? I assume these batteries are connected in parallel to provide more power. Do I even really need to worry about this with this truck? I keep a tender on other vehicles/machines that set to try and extend the life of the batteries and prevent batteries being drained. Is there anything else you guys would recommend doing to this truck during prolonged periods of not being run?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
187 Posts
On my previous Chevy diesel I tried to use a battery tender hooked up to 1 battery while they were both in the truck and still connected.
- It didn't seem to work as the charger always showed a Yellow charging light - and never reached a Green maintenance light.

Maybe it was too much to ask of this little battery tender - it only put out 1.5 amp max like most of them do.
--------------------
I had better luck to either disconnect the batteries and charge them individually in the truck - or pull them from the truck and charge them individually inside.
- I would think you could use the battery tender on each individual battery while still inside the truck if you disconnect the positive cable when you charge.
----------------------
You may be better off using a regular battery charger to charge them on a monthly basis. Nothing kills a battery faster then letting it sit without use/charging.

They sulfate across the plates - then you are done.

The new smart chargers Whack the battery with a full amp charge to "Wake Up" a battery and help prevent sulfating - then regulate down to a progressive charging state until fully charged.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
If you are letting it sit that long you may want to just disconnect the battery cables and put a tender on each one. When it is time to replace them I would definitely recommend AGMs

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Unhook the - Negative Battery Cable, it will not throw a spark when you reconnect it

I found an article that you need to read about storage of vehicles

https://www.edmunds.com/car-care/how-to-prep-your-car-for-long-term-storage.html
&
http://www.techguys.ca/howto/winter.html

You should occasionally run the A/C for a about 10 minutes, even in Winter, if it is not run the rubber seals will begin to dry out & shorten the life of the unit

Put desiccant in a open small bucket on the floor of the cab
Wax the heck out of it
keep bird crap & tree sap off of the paint

You can buy or make your own desiccant
Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, & most hardware stores carry it

what is desiccant

it is just Silica Gel in a breathable bag
You have seen them, when you unbox electronics, stoves, shoes, etc.

Some cat litter is made of just Silica Gel, others brands use Silica Gel & Clay, you don't want any CLAY in your mixture for vehicle storage

You will want Dryer Sheets or moth balls in the cab & under the hood, to help keep rodents away

don't forget the steel wool in your exhaust pipe tips & in the air cleaner intake box inlet

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Question is since it sets a lot how is the best way to put a battery tender of some sorts on the truck with the dual batteries? Can I just put a pigtail on one of the batteries and connect to a tender and keep both batteries charged?
Same as you, my truck sits idle for most of the winter. I added the battery tender pigtail to the passenger side battery and use a 3 amp Battery Tender (the Costco version) to maintain the batteries. You may be OK with the wall-wart Battery Tender but I've never tried it, could be a bit too much for the wall-wart.

Connecting to the passenger side battery does keep both batties maintained since they are wired in parallel. It is also important to note the battery chemistry used in the diesel's is AGM and they have a different charging requirement. The Battery Tenders are compatible with AGM, if you go with a different brand, verify they are compatible with the AGM chemistry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the responses. I have the Schumacher charger/maintainers in the 1.5 amp flavor.
http://www.batterychargers.com/maintainers/
Not sure which model but will have to check and make sure they do AGM batteries. I have about a half a dozen of these and keep them on all the toys and they work pretty good unless the battery is toast.

If I just decide to disconnect the batteries and charge separate is it a pain to get things going again upon reconnection? Does it mess up the electronics and all the computers our trucks have on them these days? I would guess one would lose some settings and whatnot?

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I just decide to disconnect the batteries and charge separate is it a pain to get things going again upon reconnection? Does it mess up the electronics and all the computers our trucks have on them these days? I would guess one would lose some settings and whatnot?
I am not 100% sure on our Rams - But whenever I disconnected ONE of the Batteries on my Chevy the whole truck was without power.

So I would think it's the same with the Ram. Remove ONE Battery and it has no power to the truck. I did have to reset the clock and some stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts