DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my dad has a 2000 2500 4x4 (that I am starting to take care of). We were talking about the shifters (automatic trans) and he started getting a bit confused and had a hard time believing what I said because, again he started getting confused. So I'm asking for a bit of clarification. there's the standard shifter on the tree, everyday driving, then on the floor is the 4x4 shifter that reads 2L N 2H 4H can you please tell me whats what. I'll take it out and play with it myself but more knowledge never hurts lol. Thanks

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Your transmission shifter is on the steering Column.
it is what has Park, Drive, Nuetral etc. it puts the truck into gear.

the 4X4, $hi $lo @wd iw the ansfer case. it is what engages the transfer case and sends power to the front axles and rear axles.

if in @WHEEL DRIVE, REAR AXLE GETS POWER PRETTY MUCH, AS IS, FROM TRANSMISSION. pOWER JUST FLOWS THRU THE TRANSFER CASE.

oops caps sorry

if transfer case is in 4LO you are going to be going damn slow, less than 15mph slow, traction is tought to come by and you need slow and pwoerful to get around.

4HI is for $X4 mode, at highway speeds. traction is crappy but all 4 wqheels spinning will get you there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So let's see if I got it:
Column normal 2 wheel drive while transfer case is in neutral.
Column in drive, 2L engages front tires but super slow for more grip.
Column in drive, 2H engages front tires but at a higher rate, grippy but not super low or slow.
Column is drive, 4H engages all 4 wheels equally.
Sound about right?

·
Registered
731 Posts
So let's see if I got it:
Column normal 2 wheel drive while transfer case is in neutral.
Column in drive, 2L engages front tires but super slow for more grip.
Column in drive, 2H engages front tires but at a higher rate, grippy but not super low or slow.
Column is drive, 4H engages all 4 wheels equally.
Sound about right?
Not quite.
Column shifter does the same thing all the time, which is control the transmission. So you have drive, neutral, reverse, park etc.
The column shifter has no effect on the transfer case, which is controlled by the floor shifter.
If the transfer case in is neutral, you won't have any power going to any of the wheels at all.
When the transfer case is in "2H", the truck is powered from the rear wheels only, not the front. In 2H there is no power going to the front wheels.
When in 4H, the power is directed to all 4 wheels, which is nice for slick conditions which don't involve gnarly terrain which requires a super-slow and careful approach.
4L works just like 4H except the transfer case now applies reduction gearing so that the engine runs at a lot higher RPM for any given speed. It's intended for really tough conditions that require careful applications of power and very slow navigation. Mostly off-road stuff, though if you live in mountainous country where winters are very severe it can come in handy on regular roads sometimes.

Keep in mind that 4WD is nice for improving traction to get you going in crappy conditions, but it does nothing at all for your ability to stop. Most winter wrecks involve an inability to stop in time to avoid a collision, and the ease with which a 4WD vehicle can overcome traction problems to get moving often lulls people into a false sense of security in winter driving.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
4Wheel drive is not to be used when there is excellent traction. it will mess up your drivetrain.

the only thing diffferent in this truck versus any other vehicle is it has a selector which allows you to choose where the transfer case sends power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
4Wheel drive is not to be used when there is excellent traction. it will mess up your drivetrain.

the only thing diffferent in this truck versus any other vehicle is it has a selector which allows you to choose where the transfer case sends power.
9thousandfeet has it about right -
4wheel drive is not to be used when there is traction or you will destroy your drive-train and bank account.
Use 4H for normal driving in crappy conditions. Use 4L when you need to pull a house out of the mud. Try it one time. It's very low gearing. I think I had my truck in 4L 3 times. 30mph is tops, floored, down hill, with a good back wind. I snow plow with my truck and put it in 4L one time just for something different. s l o w If you have a large back yard or field give it a shot. Oh, and I'm going to date myself here... you actually said two different things: automatic trans AND standard shifter on the tree. Standard shifter on the tree was a manual trans shift on the column. My first car was a 3 on the tree; 3 speed on the column. (yep, I'm old) Also, the transfer case really only engages the front axle. You really do not have 4 wheel drive. Only one front wheel will spin... the one that will spin and give no help - unless you install a front limited slip or locker. And I'm guessing the rear has a factory limited slip? But we are getting way off here. Get stuck and you will see. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts