DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to get someones opinion on if I should dump my exhaust or keep the stock single pipe. Would it make it louder if i did?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'll be able to give you my opinion in another week or so. I currently have the single exhaust rear side exit but my Magnaflow dual out the back came in yesterday and I will put it on on the 31st. I'd do it sooner but the truck is in the body shop having the new bumper with exhaust cut-out installed. As I understand it the new exhaust won't be louder just more of a rumble unless you get on the go fast pedal which will wake up the nieghbourhood.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I had a Gidson dual catback side swept on my 04 ram and loved it. It had a nice growl to it when you got after it but not obnoxious during normal driving. I loved it and would recommend it if you want a little louder but not too loud. My .02 cents.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
When i read the word DUMP
i think of shortening the exhaust

On my 1956 chevy 1/2 ton, i didn't have any catalytic converter
i ran headers down almost to the back of the engine, then i had a removable exhaust section with a H pipe in it under the transmission, then the dual exhaust with DUMP tubes exiting at a about a 33 angle to the ground, the end of the tubes was just behind the cab, so the fumes didn't raise into the cab. Those dual chambered Flowmasters were loud.

Now we have the catalytic converter, the muffler, then the resonators. It makes for a long exhaust.
If you remove the resonator, it will be louder, but you will also hear a strange noise when the MDS kicks in, or so i read

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i already have a glasspack installed, I was just wondering if i should cut the pipe off right after the glasspack. Some people say it is much louder but then again some people say it doesnt really make a difference.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a 4th gen, but same concept. I still have my cats (as you have to without throwing a code, etc), added a Mufflex (Magnaflow Single in, single out), then put a turn down on it right before the axle. Wouldn't look back. Sounds a lot better. Slightly louder maybe, not annoying though. And you won't have drone if your exhaust is not ridiculously loud to begin with. If you have like 14" glasspacks, yes it will drone, no question. 22" or 24", you should be fine.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Word to the wise though... if you add a turndown make sure the exhaust is not blowing on the axle or any cables or lines in any way. I had to have my turn down bent to a 90 degree angle in order to avoid this. I had tried a store-bought turndown for a bit to see if I liked the sound and it was only slightly blowing on the axle... still began to blister the covering on the brake cable. No damage, but I did take care of that situation quick. I thought it was far enough away to not do that, but learned quick that it wasn't. Doh! :) ...Just getting that out there...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts