DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive spent the last 3 weeks weighing my options on different types, brands, and sizes of mufflers. Ive read all the threads regarding flow, back pressure, sound, loudness, and drone. After much research, Ive landed on the DynoMax VT Muffler Model # 17963.

Here is a link to their website for more information:
http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

I just ordered if from JEGS today, and it should be here next week. I will try to have it installed next week sometime as well, most likely Friday afternoon.

The reason I went with this muffler is the new "no-drone" technology. I hope that it works as well as advertised.

Has anyone else owned or heard a truck with this muffler? If so, chime in. Id like to hear your opinons.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Looks like a pretty nice design. Some cars come with a similar setup stock (corvettes).

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was really interested in going with this muffler when I was researching to do mine. I was afraid how the valve would work inside of it switching between the different pressures of MDS activated or not. I can't wait to see how it sounds though. Nice pick. Will be watching to hear it!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well did you get the VT installed?
I have one one the way for my Durango R/T

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got the VT yesterday. I am taking it to the muffler shop on Friday afternoon to have it installed. Ive decided I am going to leave the factory Y-Pipe and just swap out the mufflers. I took the VT out of the box last night and looked it over. It is very similar to the Magnaflows in how it is built. The only really visable difference is the Valve inside the muffler that opens and closes as exhaust pressure rises and falls. I really hope this muffler sounds like I want it to. It has a 90 Day warranty, so if something goes wrong, or I hate it, I can always get my money back and go with the Magnaflow.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
congrats on the purchase bud and dont forget that we all love pics of new mods so plz dont forget lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DynoMax VT Installed!

This afternoon I got the DynoMax VT Muffler Installed. I only did a direct muffler swap from the stock 26" monster to the new 22" sleek DynoMax.

Here are some comparisons between the two mufflers.

Old vs New Muffler Comparison.JPG

Old vs New Comparison 2.jpg

And here is a picture of the final product.

Dynomax VT Installed.jpg

The DynoMax VT sounds great compared to the stock muffler. It will not wow people and turn heads in parking lots, but it did make a huge difference. I assume that it will get a little louder after it has a couple hundred miles to burn in. On start up it has a nice low growl, and at WOT it really screams. However, the reason I purchased this particular muffler is to be able to drive at highway speeds and not be droned to death. This muffler performs exactly as advertised. Highway cruising, even with MDS on, sounds exactly like stock. The value in this muffler really works to eliminate all drone associated with similar mufflers. I couldn't be more happy with that fact. I do wish it had a little more aggressiveness at start up and idle, but you cant have that and no-drone on the highway.

The throttle response is noticeably quicker and more responsive. I really didn't expect that from a simple muffler swap, but its a nice perk.

I took some before video, and tomorrow I plan to take the after video. I plan to make a post in the near future with much more content. Stay posted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before and After Videos - Stock vs DynoMax VT

The videos are complete. Clink the Links Below for the Before and After of the Stock vs. DynoMax VT Muffler. Note: No other modification were made to the exhaust system. This is with the factory Y-Pipe and Tips. The only other mod I have is a drop-in K&N.

BEFORE

AFTER

The change is certainly not drastic like some of the exhaust system swaps on the forum, but I am happy with it for now. At first thought, I wish it was a little louder, but I know in the long run, Ill be glad I didn't put a 14" Muffler on there. Hope you enjoy, and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds great man! I'm guessing the sounds differ with each setup, I'm looking for a single exhaust Dynomax setup for my 06, they seem to be one of the most affordable ones around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Two Week Update:

So Ive had the muffler installed for 2 weeks now. I beleive it has "broken in" some and gained a little bit of volume from when it was first installed. I assume this is normal for most mufflers with fiberglass packing. I am still impressed with the muffler's ability to completely mask the drone on the highway. I love the agressive tone at WOT. However, I am still left wanting a little more on start-up and idle. I guess you really cant have the best of both worlds... All in All, I am satisfied, and I know in the long run, the more mature choice is a quieter muffler, but the teenager in me still wants that Hemi to turn heads in parking lots when I start it up.

As for now, Dynomax only has the one 20" option for the SO/DO VT muffler. I hope that down the road, they will incorporate more options into the VT line. I think a 14" and a 18" with the same VT Technology would appeal to many of the truck owners who want a louder muffler, but still reduced drone at sustained highway speeds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
dynomax vt

would you mind clarifying the highway results, there is no drone but is it louder at cruise? i love the idea that it may sound stock when not punching it (kids watch dvd's lol)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts