DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I only take my truck off of pavement a few times a year, I am wondering the pros and cons of each for a daily driver. When I am off pavement it is usually on private ranch roads or driving through fields. Plowed fields and mud are the 2 biggest times I use the 4WD off pavement and the rare ice storm here in DFW or hard rains is when I use it on road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,120 Posts
Personally, I'm a fan of LSD but I don't do any serious of road stuff. A friend of mine has a F150 ('16?) which has traction control and E-locker. He is not happy for daily street driving. The truck is virtually an open diff. He gets one wheel peel all the time and the traction control doesn't seem to do much of anything. I know it should be putting on the brake on the spinning wheel to transfer torque to the other side but the truck is not accelerating very fast and the tire is spinning. He would much prefer LSD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not exactly. The non-off road 4X4 comes with an open diff. The LSD is a $495 dollar option. RAM calls it an anti-spin dirrerential rear axle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
I ordered LSD because this is just a daily driver and I want the benefits LSD provides me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Since I only take my truck off of pavement a few times a year, I am wondering the pros and cons of each for a daily driver. When I am off pavement it is usually on private ranch roads or driving through fields. Plowed fields and mud are the 2 biggest times I use the 4WD off pavement and the rare ice storm here in DFW or hard rains is when I use it on road.
I'd go (and did) anti-spin (LSD). Locker needs to be activated manually, and only in heavy off-road situations that require it, while the anti-spin is always there and engages when it detects spin (hence the name).

My truck is a pavement princess 90% of the time. For the other 10%, anti spin is plenty enough, and a lot more useful in everyday driving in harsh weather, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the replies. Of course the reason I am asking this is because I would like to get the off road package but was concerned about the locker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
I appreciate the replies. Of course the reason I am asking this is because I would like to get the off road package but was concerned about the locker.
You bet. The locker (if equipped) is located on a dedicated button beneath the rotary shifter btw.

Neurobit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
If you are getting a rear wheel completely off the ground during off-road the e-locker would be better. If you are mostly street and keep your wheels in contact with the drive surface you will like and be using lsd more. I had the same question and have come to the decision to stay with lsd after much research.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
34,750 Posts
IMHO an LSD is more useful for most situations-especially as a daily driver.


Actually for a dedicated off roader I still prefer a rear LSD and a locker in the front. LSDs up front can be a bear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Get the LSD in the rear and have a locker installed in the front . When your in 2wd it isn't noticeable at all. Best of both worlds

Oh use a "lunch box locker" very simple and no actuating uses the torque from d-line to engage. Nothing to do other than select 4x4 and no cables or switches to install. Been heavy off roading for over 30yrs. For what u described this is the most effective set up, and least expensive.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top