DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input on an early oil change? I come from the school of 3K miles for conventional and 5k miles for synthetic on an oil change. That said, I'm thinking of doing an early change just to make sure everything is clean as can be at the 3k mark.

I like the concept behind the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, but my standy brand (when applicable) has always been Shell Rotella (same mother company, I know) and in this case the T6 looks like it would fit the bill famously. The additives in Rotella just seem to keep engines running clean and...lean. :4-dontknow: lol

·
Premium Member
32,792 Posts
Changing your oil early is something many ppl do
It won't harm anything & if you want to do it, just do it

Some ppl even send a sample to be tested by
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
What he said. I always change mine early, then do it again once more.
same 3k dyno-5ksyn schedule as you.

19200 miles and just got it done again. Close enough is good enough when milage is under, never over.

do what makes you happy.changing your oil is alot cheaper than a vegas vacation and both willmake you feelgood.

·
Registered
14,008 Posts
I do the ' Old School ' method and use the OEM recommended oil
until the warranty is done then it's Rotella ;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
FCA specifies 0W40 synthetic with a SN rating, any really pushes Pennzoil Ultra for meeting spec

·
Registered
493 Posts
Had the dealer do the first one at 3600 miles.Didn't feel like crawling around out in the snow to do it myself.That'll more than likely be the last change they will do.Gotta either make room in my garage or time the changes so that I'm not up to my ass in snow.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have the 3/30 maintenance agreement so it'll get changed at 5K.
Back in the old days changing oil a couple times in the first 5,000 miles was common. I used to change my new cars at 1500 then again at 3000. With the new stuff I really don't think that is needed. This stuff now is built pretty well oil filtration is also much better. I think early changes on a new rig in 2016 is just a waste of oil.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I ran the factory fill until 6600 miles, planned to just go to 5,000 but didn't get around to it. I switched to full synthetic and now go between 6,000 and 7,000 for a change interval. I know I can probably go a couple thousand farther, but I'm not comfortable with that.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm not worried about the oil as much as the particles suspended in it, or even in the filter. One thing that caught me by surprise is that the filter appears to be significantly smaller than my 08 Hemi's filter. The horizontal fitment I also have to scratch my head about. It was so easy before and now it looks hard to get to and messy to change.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm not worried about the oil as much as the particles suspended in it, or even in the filter. One thing that caught me by surprise is that the filter appears to be significantly smaller than my 08 Hemi's filter. The horizontal fitment I also have to scratch my head about. It was so easy before and now it looks hard to get to and messy to change.
The filter is going to catch anything of significance in terms of particles so I would not loose sleep over that.

As to oil changing with the 6.4, they have included a plastic drain funnel tray below the filter that make changing it easy and not a big mess.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The filter is going to catch anything of significance in terms of particles so I would not loose sleep over that.

As to oil changing with the 6.4, they have included a plastic drain funnel tray below the filter that make changing it easy and not a big mess.

Damn, you 392 guys get all kinds of love, stainless exhaust manifolds too!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About 3k miles and 90hrs of drive time and idle time and well....I broke all the rules. I used the bigger filter (PL24651 Gold) as well as 0w40 Rotella T6 synthetic. I was on the fence till I checked it today and it was black as could be. The cost was still low enough to me since I could get a filter on there with no shavings in it and clean oil. I'll expect to stick with the regular synthetic intervals now. When I changed it I had the oil at ~212 and it was super thin. Which freaked me out a little because even my 5w20 wasn't that thin when scaldoing hot.

Regarding the filter...it was a pain to get it in there, but it's not like it's real convenient getting in there with the smaller filter either.

Luke

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 10 mile round trip drive to work and back home in my 2016 Laramie Power Wagon. I also ride my motorcycle to work from time to time when the weather is good. I bought the Power Wagon at the end of December 2015 and I have less than 1500 miles on the truck. I was thinking of changing the oil every 6 months. I doubt that I will have 2000 miles on the truck at that time. Since I don't put many miles on my truck, is every 6 months (twice a year) with the recommended oil and filter seem like a good interval or is once a year OK? :4-dontknow:

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I have a 10 mile round trip drive to work and back home in my 2016 Laramie Power Wagon. I also ride my motorcycle to work from time to time when the weather is good. I bought the Power Wagon at the end of December 2015 and I have less than 1500 miles on the truck. I was thinking of changing the oil every 6 months. I doubt that I will have 2000 miles on the truck at that time. Since I don't put many miles on my truck, is every 6 months (twice a year) with the recommended oil and filter seem like a good interval or is once a year OK? :4-dontknow:
With such few miles on it the main reason for you to change oil will be acid buildup rather than wear, and the 6.4 has the same large 7 qt sump as the 5.7. You will be fine doing it once a year; if you can't bring yourself to do that then do it every 8 or 10 months. I'm not even sure I'd use synthetic at such a low wear interval. If you do full synthetic every 6 months, you will literally be pissing money away.

I consider myself to be very aggressive about changing my oil and I do it between 6,000 and 7,000 miles, which is usually 3-4 months with full synthetic. I'm deployed now, so I'm going to change it when I get back, but that will be about 7-8 months and well under 6000 miles-the wife only drives in 2-3 times a week

·
Registered
71 Posts
I called the dealer on this concern and was informed that the is an oil sensing unit in the engine that can tell how dirty is oil is. I'm not so sure but times have changed. He informed me that I should change my oil when that light comes on or at 10k miles. which ever comes first. This is on my 2016 2500.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I called the dealer on this concern and was informed that the is an oil sensing unit in the engine that can tell how dirty is oil is. I'm not so sure but times have changed. He informed me that I should change my oil when that light comes on or at 10k miles. which ever comes first. This is on my 2016 2500.
Well, your dealer is wrong.

The 2016 Owner's Manual specifically states that you should never go over 8,000 miles between oil changes in a 2500. In the interest of longevity and your warranty - I would go with what Dodge says, not what a dealer tells you.

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
IMHO: The owner's manual that came with your truck is the bible, while the dealer is the snake oil salesman.

However... On a new truck, (if your excessive about fluids) for the first maintenance interval you might be wise to dump & replenish the rear diff fluid too.
If towing it probably wouldn't hurt to do the trains & pan filter.
I'd be mighty curious to do a visual inspection on that first trans filter.

Seems to me that excessive fluid & filter changes certainly can't hurt anything.
Enjoy the truck :smileup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts