DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, got another question.....

My tranny is shifting really eary to 3rd gear. shifts up to 2nd just fine then it almost immidietly shifts up to 3rd!!!

Is this a throttle valve adjustment or something deeper...bands maybe??:4-dontknow:

Trying to think if maybe my CAI affected this? if so that would just be a TV Cable adjustment right??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Hey all, got another question.....

My tranny is shifting really eary to 3rd gear. shifts up to 2nd just fine then it almost immidietly shifts up to 3rd!!!

Is this a throttle valve adjustment or something deeper...bands maybe??:4-dontknow:

Trying to think if maybe my CAI affected this? if so that would just be a TV Cable adjustment right??

Thanks
I don't think the cai would make a difference but then again everything seems to go hand in hand on these dodge's.

I think if you have an 2-3 shift that occurs almost instantly after the 1-2 shift that it could possibly be a valve body problem, the throttle valve would really control the downshifts more then the upshifts, upshifts occur based on speed and load. Usually the issue is with late shifts... Go figure, for once it's the opposite.

I don't know, I think that it's the valve body, it's possible you have a clogged valve which is common with vehicles that have acquired mileage.

I'm just wondering but when did this issue begin to occur, what modifications did you do when you noticed the issue.

If worst come to worst and the valve body is the problem, you can always UPS it to me and for 50 bucks I can completely rebuild the valve body within 1-2 days. But I don't want you to jump on the valve body because it could be something very stupid and simple, usually is.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I don't think the cai would make a difference but then again everything seems to go hand in hand on these dodge's.

I think if you have an 2-3 shift that occurs almost instantly after the 1-2 shift that it could possibly be a valve body problem, the throttle valve would really control the downshifts more then the upshifts, upshifts occur based on speed and load. Usually the issue is with late shifts... Go figure, for once it's the opposite.

I don't know, I think that it's the valve body, it's possible you have a clogged valve which is common with vehicles that have acquired mileage.

I'm just wondering but when did this issue begin to occur, what modifications did you do when you noticed the issue.

If worst come to worst and the valve body is the problem, you can always UPS it to me and for 50 bucks I can completely rebuild the valve body within 1-2 days. But I don't want you to jump on the valve body because it could be something very stupid and simple, usually is.
It might be because you don't have stock axle ratio, 4.56 I don't think was offered by chrysler... You might have to change the VSS pinion if it has a VSS, else wise you might need to change a setting on the ECM. But again, I'm not at all certain because it's very unusual to come across something like this.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ramvan, thanks for the reply.......

not sure what the VSS is....sorry.

I replaced the valve body probly 6 or 7 months ago. nothing special, just an OEM rebuilt. I kept the old one though. is there a site that offers good rebuild kits? nHow complicated is it to do? would like to give it a shot myself if thats the problem. no offense.

I haven't tried to do anything to fix it yet as it is not my daily driver. I usually just drive it when i go out of town.

In the last few months it seems to be doing it all the time. started out just once in awhile. I also replaced solenoids when i did the VB. have also added an extra trans cooler and new speed sensor recently.

Wish i had the money i would just get one of those viper transmissions from PATC. LOL! Also hoping to upgrade to a 3/4 ton hemi within the next year. Just need this one not to S**T the bed before then.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
ramvan, thanks for the reply.......

not sure what the VSS is....sorry.

I replaced the valve body probly 6 or 7 months ago. nothing special, just an OEM rebuilt. I kept the old one though. is there a site that offers good rebuild kits? nHow complicated is it to do? would like to give it a shot myself if thats the problem. no offense.

I haven't tried to do anything to fix it yet as it is not my daily driver. I usually just drive it when i go out of town.

In the last few months it seems to be doing it all the time. started out just once in awhile. I also replaced solenoids when i did the VB. have also added an extra trans cooler and new speed sensor recently.

Wish i had the money i would just get one of those viper transmissions from PATC. LOL! Also hoping to upgrade to a 3/4 ton hemi within the next year. Just need this one not to S**T the bed before then.
Vehicle Speed Sensor.

Their isn't a rebuild kit for a valve body, usually you would buy a shift kit or a sure cure kit which usually has replacement springs and valves that are an improvement over the OEM. I must say I stay away from shift kits because their can sometimes be conflicts with line pressure but not always, all in all I like to avoid and problems.

It is possible that the replacement valve body you purchased wasn't rebuilt properly, the biggest issue believe it or not is that the rebuilder doesn't properly torque the bolts.

If you want to rebuild it yourself more power to you, I cannot tell you if it's going to be easy or hard because it all depends on your ability. I rebuild these things for fun and it's easy for me, but I have done it before and I have a natural ability to do it. But If you do rebuild it yourself and get stuck I will be more then happy to help you. I cannot tell you with certainty that the valve body is causing the problem but the chances are very high that it is!

PATC Viper Tran's are pretty decent, I personally don't like them but they are decent.

Oh with the external cooler, make sure that the fluid flows up so you don't get air in the return and you maintain pressure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. I did a little bit of looking around the internet and doesn't seem like the sure cure kits are too complicated. I'm with you on the shift kits though. seems like a lot of them have very high shift points and then shift very hard. seems to me that can't be good for these 46RE. They have enough problems withut any help.

Out of curiosity, since you don't like the PATC, who would you recommend?

Thanks again man

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks again. I did a little bit of looking around the internet and doesn't seem like the sure cure kits are too complicated. I'm with you on the shift kits though. seems like a lot of them have very high shift points and then shift very hard. seems to me that can't be good for these 46RE. They have enough problems withut any help.

Out of curiosity, since you don't like the PATC, who would you recommend?

Thanks again man
The only reason I'm not to into PATC is because many of their transmissions have shift kits and have parts that cause more bad then good in some cases, for example some of them come with a kevlar or carbon impregnated kickdown band, this causes excessive ware to the direct drum over short time. Another issue is they spend alot of time replacing parts to reduce the internal weight, which honestly 2-4 lbs of reduced weight isn't going to make significant improvement also having a aluminum forward drum over the steel one doesn't seem like a good move either but they managed to get away with it. The aluminum sure has a better critical speed then steel but regardless in terms of strength we all know steel is where it's at.

The shift kits that are around, you can adjust the line pressure regulator to make the shift somewhat softer however it all comes at a cost like with science with every action their is a reaction.

But to the point a quick and firm shift is what you would be after, less time in the shift overlap means less ware, only issue is if you shift to hard and quick you can cause serious damage to the hard parts, mainly the planets and drums.

Well in my opinion a rebuilder that has a reputation and will build it with the parts you tell him you want then that's the best. PATC makes great transmissions for sure but like I said personally it's not my cup of tea.

You would be better off rebuilding it yourself, you get what you want basically. The best part of all is the education.

This is what I did in my rebuild.

Transtec Overhaul Kit
Timken Extension Housing Tail Shaft Seal
Alto Red Eagle Friction Discs
Alto Kolene Friction Plates
Raybestos Hi-Energy Rear Band
Borg Warner Stock Replacement Kickdown Band
Pro-King Stock Replacement Torque Converter
6 Pinion Rear Planetary Gear
Clevite Bushings
Retained Stock 2.5:1 Kickdown Lever Ratio

Of course I had to replace some other parts but cut and dry this is it. I had to replace my bell housing because I cracked it on accident. I also replaced my OD Direct Hub because the internal splines were burred. I also replaced the Neutral Safety Switch and the OD/TCC Solenoid. Etc...

Rebuilding it is easy, you need very simple tools nothing real special. The only special tool you need is a shop press, snap rings pliers, lock ring pliers, caliper, dial indicator and stand. Nothing crazy. Rebuilding it is pretty cheap, the Frictions and Plates are what cost the most, around 220 Bucks if you get the Alto's.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Thanks. I appreciate your input!
No problem. Taking it to someone is very expensive, generally they will rebuild or sell you a rebuilt transmission that is overpriced for what you're getting. For some reason many companies rebuilders seem to ask around 1200-1500 bucks for a rebuilt transmission, but you're not getting high performance parts, you're getting basic OEM equivalent parts, which isn't bad I use a stock replacement flex band but for good reasons. However for say 1200 dollars their are many high performance parts that can be put into the transmission to not only make it perform better but also last longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Mont.Ram
What ramvan2500 says sounds like good advice. I had to rebuild the 4l60e in my jimmy last year. I have not rebuilt a trans in nearly 30 years, last one I did before was a 400 turbo. My advice if you wish to try it yourself is get a good manual and research all you can first. Talk to guys whom build them, read all you can and find out any weak points in your model trans . Alot can be learned! Also if you have a digital camera take lots of pics when your taking things apart. Can help you out later durring assembly. I think i'll do my 98 ram I bought this year. Maybe i'll take pics and post them while I do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever find a fix? I have the same issue. I just bought an 06 Ram 1500 and have been feeling that it was shifting abnormally. Not sure if its just me, or... If I moderatly accelerate, it will shift from 2nd to 3rd fast and leave me without much power. Then I'm feeling like around 55 - 60mph it doesnt seem to want to go into overdrive. It has some mufflers on it so the sounds might be throwing me off too, not use to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts