DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed EBC yellow stuff pads 8k miles ago on my 09 Ram 5.7L rear.... it's now down to 4mm (time to replace shortly) after only 8000 miles. It's a truck... it has obviously never been tracked or something stupid like that, and it wasn't towing anything.. just living an easy life with 50/50 hwy/city non-aggressive driving. Rear EBC yellow pads are dead...after 8k miles. The brake dust was also intolerable, the wheels are forever black with dust. Perhaps I shouldn't have gotten a yellow stuff pad, but the Hawk SDs on the front are still almost full and were changed at the same time (not to mention the fronts takes a lot more abuse). Previous OEM pads in the rear lasted 84k miles! If I had put the EBC yellows in the front, I am certain I wouldn't have gotten more than 7k out of them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They sound like race pads or something. I would just go back with oem or a high quality pad from an auto parts store. Whats wrong with getting 84,000 miles out of a set of pads?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They sound like race pads or something. I would just go back with oem or a high quality pad from an auto parts store. Whats wrong with getting 84,000 miles out of a set of pads?
ebc yellow is more aggressive than their other pads, I used them to try to improve the braking performance if the ram which is far from stellar, even with quality aftermarket rotors and routine flushes with dot4 fluid. It’s assumed it won’t last 84k miles... but 8k miles with zero hard driving is pathetic. There’s no excuse for that in any consumer grade brake pad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ebc yellow is more aggressive than their other pads, I used them to try to improve the braking performance if the ram which is far from stellar, even with quality aftermarket rotors and routine flushes with dot4 fluid. It’s assumed it won’t last 84k miles... but 8k miles with zero hard driving is pathetic. There’s no excuse for that in any consumer grade brake pad.
I can agree. That is a little bit too short if a lifespan. Imagine if you were hard on them!? Is the pad meant for racing or general use? I race motorcycles and genearlly use a pad set for 2000 miles on track instead of 20,000 on the street so thats like 10%. And I’m not even that fast. I have used ebc motorcycle pads which are very good quality but they are more aggressive and wear faster.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's how EBC markets it: Yellowstuff Fastest Street, Race & Drift Racing Brake Pads

Clearly, I knew going in it wasn't going to deliver the lifespan of a ceramic or OEM pad, you can't have both no dust/great life and enhanced performance, but, 8k miles with basically no hard driving (maybe made 2 moderately hard stops? the rest was just easy city/hwy driving with no aggressive braking) is just not acceptable for a brake pad. I fully admit I may have gone overboard with yellow stuff, but still I was assuming at least 20k-30k with no hard driving.

I read on the Tacoma forums (just searching the internet for "ebc yellow stuff brake lifespan") that a lot of people have similar complaints on these brake pads, used in trucks as well. Lesson learned for me... back to Hawk.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Any chance your brakes are not releasing all the way , as in sticking calipers ,or possibly an internal rear hose collapse? Just throwing ideas out there. An infrared thermometer to check rear caliper temps might not be a bad idea. But it might just be bad.pads. I will stay away from those now anyhow.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any chance your brakes are not releasing all the way , as in sticking calipers ,or possibly an internal rear hose collapse? Just throwing ideas out there. An infrared thermometer to check rear caliper temps might not be a bad idea. But it might just be bad.pads. I will stay away from those now anyhow.
well both driver and passenger sides are down the same amount so I’d say that’s very unlikely. But it’s worth checking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds like your up on the maintenance so not likely to be rubbing. It also sounds like you drive like a grandma on Sunday. I dont think you need such high performance pads ! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like your up on the maintenance so not likely to be rubbing. It also sounds like you drive like a grandma on Sunday. I dont think you need such high performance pads ! :ROFLMAO:
my other car is an Alfa QV. I take it out on that machine instead.
I don’t exactly drive the truck like a grandma, more like a late-20s adult who has moved past the v8 pony car phase and into ‘spirited driving’

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
412 Posts
Maybe ceramics are a better bet..? I was thinking about doing ceramics but I don't have any experience with them...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe ceramics are a better bet..? I was thinking about doing ceramics but I don't have any experience with them...
I was told less brake dust with ceramicsTrue.They had a bit more bite than semi and regardless what I read,they wore the rotors faster than my semi.I gave up a tad bit of brake bite to save my rotors.And the brake dust of my semis were not too bad anyway.Your experience may differ?? I was also told semis would wear rotors faster than ceramics.Not in my experience there either

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
You made a bad choice for longevity with the EBC Yellow pads, even ECB says for longer races too use their Bluestuff NDX or the new EBC Orangestuff grades should be considered. What you purchased was a high performance brake pad that was not designed to last for tens of thousands of miles.

You should just purchase a set of OEM pads, they work, they last.

Reactions: Spivey

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
come on... 8k out of a pad no matter how aggressive it is, when used without sporty driving is just silly. Ive had cars like an m3 and have installed more aggressive pads than that and they’ve lasted a lot longer...in an m3. I was looking for more bite with the ram, as I don’t think the brakes are really that great on the truck and I don’t want to spend the money on a brake kit

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Sorry you refuse to see the facts, just because you want something to work the way you want it to does not mean it will when it was never designed to do what you are wanting it to do in the first place and that is even more grip while maintaining longevity.

You admit that you practice spirited driving, it is no wonder you wore out a performance brake pad quickly, EBC warns those that run longer races and that is way way way under 8,000 miles, to use their Bluestuff NDX or new EBC Orangestuff grade brake pads.

I think you are wrong to bash EBC when the brake pad you decided to use was not designed for a long service life to begin with. You said it yourself that its a truck and it is a truck and it weights almost twice as much as the average car does. If you do spirited driving as you say then you need to understand you are stopping almost if not twice the weight of the average car these days.

You said you had a M3, I assume that is a BMW M3 which is a performance car from BMW.

As for the brakes on Ram trucks I have owned Dodge/Ram trucks since 1996 and I have never had an issue with the brakes and I have owned 1500 single cab, 1500 Quad cab both door styles, 1500 crew cab, 2500 quad cab and crew cabs and a 3500 quad cab long bed dually.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I went to the EBC site and you provide a link to the Yellowstuff pads but there is a yellowstuff pad designed for Trucks as well, did you buy the correct pad, also EBC sells a pad designed for trucks here is the Truck Yellowstuff pad description followed by the Truck Yellowstuff Sport Brake Pads and Extra Duty Light Truck Brake Pads.

Yellow pad your link goes to:

EBC Yellowstuff Fastest Street, Race & Drift Racing Brake Pads

High friction formula improves brake effect 15%.
  • Fastest brake pads for Street, Drift & Race
  • Zero brake fade makes this material perfect for fastest driving
  • Capable of repeated heavy brake use without brake “Fall-Off”
  • Very minimal disc/rotor damage characteristics
  • Suitable for shorter track events and race use
  • Medium hardness material feels good at pedal
  • If all you need is stopping power, this is the material choice
  • ECE R 90 type approved for most cars
  • Features red “brake in’ surface coating for instant safe braking after install

Yellow pad for Trucks:

EBC Truck Yellowstuff Sport Brake Pads

• Truck Yellowstuff Sport brake pads are a high friction formula that improves brake effect 30%
  • Zero brake fade makes this material perfect for heavier loads such as towing
  • Capable of repeated heavy brake use without brake “Fall-Off”
  • Very minimal disc/rotor damage characteristics
  • Suitable for all light trucks, Jeep and SUV in highway use
  • Superb brake control and pedal response
  • Features red “brake in’ surface coating for instant safe braking after install

Truck Yellowstuff Sport brake pads are especially appreciated on Trucks for towing and heavy loads and where wheel and tire oversize upgrades have been fitted.

Truck Yellowstuff Sport brake pads are not rated as low dust but create lower dust to OEM pads. These pads are a full FMVSS grade higher in friction level than most stock pads and as such will feel stronger on the pedal after install and bedding.

The pads are also a race developed friction material designed for heavy heat and brake abuse. As an ideal upgrade pad when fitting oversize tyres and wheels, the EBC yellowstuff brake pads have been tested to destruction by the likes of Randy Merritt of Mongo Racing in off road desert racing. For even longer life and load capability check out the new Extra Duty ED series brake pads and now available through Pep Boys and other quality retailers and online sellers.

This is the brake pad you should have bought:

Extra Duty pad for Trucks:

EBC Extra Duty Light Truck, Jeep and SUV Brake Pads

• British made top quality product
  • Backing plate steels feature NUCAP NRS system hook technology for 5 times the bond strength of conventional pads (read this link for more info)
  • Noiseless material with piston insert NUCAP insulator shims
  • High volume Vee grooves in pads to vent better and remove dirt dust and debris actually cooling the centre hot areas of the pad better
  • Fade free brake material capable of a wide range of operational temperatures
  • More brake “grip” than stock and most low cost aftermarket pads at less cost than original parts
  • Longer life than any other pad we have ever made and we think, longer life than anything else out there in the aftermarket, including stock pads

The UK EFI Bristol factory of EBC Brakes has used new ECO friendly technology to develop a brake pad that has unusually high friction levels yet still has good manners for street use with brake effect being strong from cold when the brake is first applied. The race pedigree of the material used also guarantees effective stopping up to temperatures exceeding 1400 F well above the maximum experienced in heavy braking, towing or downhill descents.
Winter testing in Ohio on a fleet five popular light trucks showed us the proof on cold braking in the worst wet and cold conditions where many performance brakes would not even start to show good brake effect.

So these are pads that have an extremely wide range of usability.

Towing with loads often pushes brakes past their factory limits, in fact have you even checked if the stock brakes on your truck or SUV are good enough for extended towing and hill descents?

The new carbon granule based EXTRA DUTY material is also extremely rotor friendly, minimal in dust and noiseless and each set is supplied with revolutionary NUCAP piston insert shims, another first from EBC.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Theres really no need to get so emotional over this.
I never said I did spirited driving IN A TRUCK. I’ve done spirited driving in other cars I’ve owned. I’ve installed pads that are more aggressive in other cars that were performance cars that I drive/drove harder. All of those were driven harder. And yet all lasted far longer...IN A PERFORMANCE CAR, DRIVEN HARDER.

these are the yellow pads for trucks, not the drift pads.

to get only 8k mile is pathetic now matter how you slice it.
Just sharing my experience and my opinion. Take it for what it’s worth and chill out a bit

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
412 Posts
I was told less brake dust with ceramicsTrue.They had a bit more bite than semi and regardless what I read,they wore the rotors faster than my semi.I gave up a tad bit of brake bite to save my rotors.And the brake dust of my semis were not too bad anyway.Your experience may differ?? I was also told semis would wear rotors faster than ceramics.Not in my experience there either
Eeek, in that case I'll stick with my bosch and wagner's semi's. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this thread early. EBC recommended their Truck EBC Yellow pads for my front rotor and they have been great!! I have 120,000 on my 2012 RAM 1500, and am 2 years in on my second set. I got rid of my OEM brake pads at 3500 miles. Here is why, I had an ambulance drive in front of me with my view blocked by a large truck. I slammed on the brakes, pedal to the floor, and just missed the ambulance by inches. So I took the truck out with an accelerometer and tested full-on stops from 45 mph with the OEM pads. There was no anti-lock action on the first stop until the last few feet. On the second stop, the anti-lock came on soon after brake activation. This indicated that the OEM pads have to warm up before getting full brake action. To ensure it wasn't just my truck, my neighbor took his 2012 RAM 1500 out and we duplicated the results precisely. Called EBC and they recommended Truck Yellow pads. Redid the tests with EBC Yellows installed and antilock pulsation occurred immediately with pedal activation. Which means the pads had more stopping power than the tires which was not the case with cold OEM pads. Stopping time/distance dramatically decreased and matched my 2004 GTO with Corvette brakes (I did multiple tests to prove to myself this was true). The only complaint I have is I have to wash the dust off the front wheels more often but I will gladly take that chore for the increased safety and stopping power. My son had a 2010 RAM and commented to me how much more responsive my truck was braking than his.

Note, in general, as you increase stopping power with the front wheels, you need less braking power in the rear. So my question for the OP is, what pads did you have on the front? OEM? The EBC yellow with their increased braking capability over OEM may have been taking over much of the braking which caused their premature wear. I still run OEMs on the rear. The EBC Yellow Truck pads on the front of my truck have lasted 10s of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hawk SD pads in front.
I changed the front and rear at same time and the hawk sd pads are still in great shape. The sbc yellow in the back...toast.

ebcs link above is for ram 2500. Not 1500, by the way.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts