DODGE RAM FORUM banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
found the accelerometer plots. This graph shows how OEM pads on my 2012 did better on the second run (solid yellow vs dotted) after they warmed up. You can see that it took longer (more time) for the cold OEM pads to stop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is the testing with EBC Yellow added. I apologize for the change in color. OEM is now blue and EBC is yellow. Note how fast the EBC pads exceeded -1.0 Gs in the stop. The EBC stopped 20% faster with cold pads than OEM.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
There’s no doubt it had good braking performance but the pad life trade off and level of brake dust just isn’t there...for me.

hawk sd has performed far better...for me.

I’m going to install hawk lt/suv this weekend. I would have gone with hawk sd but these were marked down a lot, got for only 55$.

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
18 Posts
Hawk SD pads in front.
I changed the front and rear at same time and the hawk sd pads are still on great shape. The sbc yellow in the back...toast.

ebcs link above is for ram 2500. Not 1500, by the way.
AS explained, orange would be the suggested pad not Yellow, previous link now updated and the recommended orange pads are in stock. If you need any future help with getting the correct pad, please do give us a shout and We will be pleased to help.

·
18 Posts
Sorry I didn't see this thread early. EBC recommended their Truck EBC Yellow pads for my front rotor and they have been great!! I have 120,000 on my 2012 RAM 1500, and am 2 years in on my second set. I got rid of my OEM brake pads at 3500 miles. Here is why, I had an ambulance drive in front of me with my view blocked by a large truck. I slammed on the brakes, pedal to the floor, and just missed the ambulance by inches. So I took the truck out with an accelerometer and tested full-on stops from 45 mph with the OEM pads. There was no anti-lock action on the first stop until the last few feet. On the second stop, the anti-lock came on soon after brake activation. This indicated that the OEM pads have to warm up before getting full brake action. To ensure it wasn't just my truck, my neighbor took his 2012 RAM 1500 out and we duplicated the results precisely. Called EBC and they recommended Truck Yellow pads. Redid the tests with EBC Yellows installed and antilock pulsation occurred immediately with pedal activation. Which means the pads had more stopping power than the tires which was not the case with cold OEM pads. Stopping time/distance dramatically decreased and matched my 2004 GTO with Corvette brakes (I did multiple tests to prove to myself this was true). The only complaint I have is I have to wash the dust off the front wheels more often but I will gladly take that chore for the increased safety and stopping power. My son had a 2010 RAM and commented to me how much more responsive my truck was braking than his.

Note, in general, as you increase stopping power with the front wheels, you need less braking power in the rear. So my question for the OP is, what pads did you have on the front? OEM? The EBC yellow with their increased braking capability over OEM may have been taking over much of the braking which caused their premature wear. I still run OEMs on the rear. The EBC Yellow Truck pads on the front of my truck have lasted 10s of thousands of miles.
That's a great detailed review, Thanks. We love loyal customers and genuine feedback (good or bad) so if you fancy a couple of free EBC branded gifts, PM me your address.

·
18 Posts
There’s no doubt it had good braking performance but the pad life trade off and level of brake dust just isn’t there...for me.

hawk sd has performed far better...for me.

I’m going to install hawk lt/suv this weekend. I would have gone with hawk sd but these were marked down a lot, got for only 55$.
They do indeed have great braking performance and the Yellow pads were not the correct pad for your vehicle, these are also not sold as a low dust pad.

Yellowstuff Fastest Street, Race & Drift Racing Brake Pads (ebcbrakes.com)
1,000,000.jpeg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
They do indeed have great braking performance and the Yellow pads were not the correct pad for your vehicle, these are also not sold as a low dust pad.

Yellowstuff Fastest Street, Race & Drift Racing Brake Pads (ebcbrakes.com)
View attachment 137455
Sorry, but no pad sold for a passenger car/LT should last only 8k miles with zero aggressive driving, no towing and 50/50 hwy/city driving (in the rear, nonetheless) if the brake system is operating normally. I've installed and used far more aggressive pads on far more performance oriented cars (BMW M3, Alfa QV, various corvettes) with iron rotors and they've all lasted far longer. I tracked a corvette using hawk pads for 2 hours and then proceeded to get an additional 12k miles of street driving out of them (yes, I know, for optimal performance you should change out pads after tracking, but, the pads weren't weren't enough to justify replacing for street driving).

I changed them out the other day and there was no evidence of dragging or irregular wear or any other problems. They just were worn down to 4mm after only 8k miles. I bedded the Hawk LT/SUV pads and really feel no difference in performance. Maybe a G-meter would show otherwise, I can't deny that, but in terms of feel and performance it's the same to me,

The brake dust... yes, that's something I knew going in, but, as with any non-CCB setup, it's usually a tradeoff between dust and performance. I subjectively find the braking performance of the yellow stuff no better than the Hawk LT/SUV (green box) and that pad doesn't kick off nearly as much dust.

Anyway, seems like we're beating a dead horse here. Some will agree with me, some will not. As always, it's just an opinion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rear pads provide the minority of the braking performance (70 vs 30%) so it would unlikely that one could feel the difference between OEM, Hawk or EBC rear brake pads. Hope these new rear pads work out well for your RAM. It would be interesting to hear back from you how long the new ones last.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts