DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 1500 with the 4.7 in it. It has 38,xxx miles on it. I bought it with 24,XXX and it has been silky smooth and never given me a problem... until now. I bought a plug and play (t harness that plugs into the ignition under the dash) remote start for this winter... and have used it for 2 or 3 months. It was the only plug and play I could find, and it was on Amazon... only $125... that should have been my first clue.

Anyways... it worked fine all winter but just last Friday, when I got in my truck to leave work every single warning light was on... CEL, 4x4, low voltage, traction control, etc... I didn't really notice till I was pulling out of work (it was Friday) and it was in limp mode... couldn't go over 1500 rpm. So I pulled back in to work and tried unplug the negative terminal to erase the code.. didn't work. I went back on Saturday to see if maybe it was just a fluke... still like that. I got to thinking... maybe it was that remote start... so I went back on Sunday and pulled the remote starter out... it started up perfect. So, I drove it all week thinking it was fine, then yesterday the same thing happened, only when I was leaving to go to work.

I called the dealership and they said I didn't have a warranty, and the earliest they can get me in is a month from now (thats not gonna work). So I went to Advance Auto and got their code reader. It spit out a bunch of codes... 15 to be exact. A bunch of repeat camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, throttle sensor, sensor reference voltage low... etc.. and then an ABS code U0401-Implausible data received from ECM. The truck barely runs, and really rough. I tried pulling the negative terminal and the codes come right back... What could be wrong with my truck???? Thanks in advance for any help, and sorry for the lengthy description!

·
Registered
163 Posts
A lengthy description is good. From what you are describing it sounds to me and this is just a guess as if there is a lose plug to the ECM or maybe a broken or lose ground. That is the only think I can think of at the moment. That is the first things I would check and fuses as well. Good Luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, I'm gonna try checking connections when I get home from work, I'll let u know what I find.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had something similar happen on another car. Turns out the negative battery post was loose. New battery solved the problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I checked all of the fuses and relays. They seem to be fine. It's very wierd though because it now has started to run decent, on an off. Not long enough to drive it anywhere, but if it sits for awhile, usually when I start it up it will run for a short period of time (minutes) before all the lights come on. Its like there's a capacitor or something that once it gets charged up it starts throwing codes... but when it has time to sit its fine. I don't know but I'm at the point where I think I'm going to buy a computer and just re sell it if it doesn't solve the problem. First I'm going to test the battery though, or try swapping it out as mentioned above. Thanks for the help, any more ideas are much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I am planning on ordering an ecu today to just try to swap it out, if it doesn't work, I'll just resell it back on Ebay. What I need to know is if anyone knows whether or not this is just plug and play. The guy at Advance Auto said he thinks it will still need programmed at the dealership... If thats the case I could just take mine up there and have it flashed. Does anyone know for sure?
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. I put a new PCM in it and it started up, and ran okay for like 10 minutes, there were still some dash lights on though. Then it stalled. I tried to start it back up and it just cranked for like 10 seconds. I turned the key back off, then on again and now it wont even crank... Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts