DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about control modules so I hope this ain't a stupid question but here goes anyway.
I think my 03 1500 has one for the engine and one for the trans. I have also heard that this changed to one control module (engine & trans) in 04 or 05. Now here's my question - Can a later model control module work in an 03?

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I don't know much about control modules so I hope this ain't a stupid question but here goes anyway.
I think my 03 1500 has one for the engine and one for the trans. I have also heard that this changed to one control module (engine & trans) in 04 or 05. Now here's my question - Can a later model control module work in an 03?
Yes, the 2003 has 2 separate modules. Yes, this changed in 2004 and got better in 2005. Can you bolt a later PCM in and go? Not exactly. You would need a PCM and then a whole lot of harness. One guy on DF did it successfully after converting his 02 4.7 to an 03 5.7, then went to an 04-05 setup. This is actually something I have started gathering for, but not in a huge hurry because I don't need the custom tuning yet and it's my daily driver still. Give a read: http://dodge forum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/319615-engine-wiring-upgrade-2003-5-7-to-2004-2005-a.html

Take out the space between dodge & forum

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and link Hemilonestar. This might be something I'll work on in the future. My truck is running real good so maybe I shouldn't mess with it. I would like to put a performance chip in it tho'. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
For stock, 03's seem to like Superchips the best, if you don't plan to update you wiring or want the data capabilities, the 3815 is the best for your $$. Otherwise get the 3865, or you really feel like spending money you can get the new Vivid paq. What SC can do that Diablo can't (strictly for 2003's) is raise the rev limiter (you still have to shift manually to go to redline) and speed limiter. Diablo only does this stuff on 04+. The one thing Diablo can do that SC can't is load custom tuning files, but again, on an 03 you won't be able to adjust rev or speed limiters or raise your idle if you go a little wild. The later SC stuff is also capable of transmission tuning (but not for 03's, but if you intend to upgrade later it'll be worth getting the tuner that will do it). I sold my 3715 to get a 3865.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought this truck used at a Ford dealership. Like I said it runs great. While it was on the lift at the tire shop I started looking around under it (I'm bad about that.) and found shorty headers (not sure what brand) Flowmaster exhaust and K&N cold air intake. For all I know It might already have a chip in it. Thanks for the suggestions. I write those Superchip numbers down and hang on to them.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Doubt it has a chip, but it may be programmed already, if so any time you take it to a dealership you may lose the programming. A dealer could easily find out if has programming or not and return it to stock (Superchips won't work if the stock program isn't in there, Diablo doesn't care either way) if you want. I found this on ebay if you are interested:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f15658591

1 - 6 of 6 Posts