DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Share your experience with the latest EcoDiesel, Gen III. I understand it began installation in Ram 1500 Gen V in 2019 truck models.

I'm contemplating downsizing somewhat from my HD 2500 / 6.4l, and going with air springs in a 1500 instead. The EcoDiesel retains the torque, improves mileage, and the air springs prevent the soft 1500 suspension from squatting even with moderate trailer loads.

I had a 1500 with 5.7l HEMI w/o air springs - the truck squatted terribly (NOT overloaded), and the HEMI was barely enough for steep hills on the highway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
The Gen3 ecodiesel started in the 2020 model year, the 2019 Ram 1500 Classic had the Gen2 ecodiesel which is what I bought. I did go with the Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune & Trans tune for mine and it makes a nice difference in drivability.

I am sure the Gen3 ecodiesel will respond just as well when Green Diesel Engineering gets a tune out for that engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
17,500 miles since February 1, 2021 and happy as can be with the performance of this still new truck. About half the miles have been towing miles, one trip was from NY south and west to Texas, MM, AZ, CO and back. Plus several more local trips from here to VA and CT. With the 3.9 gear ratio this thing is a towing powerhouse. It has more torque than the 5.7 gasser, and torque is what you need for towing a 6,500 lb travel trailer that doubles as a large wind dam. MPGs when towing are between 12 and 15, with a 33 gallon tank you can tow most of the day. MPG when not towing at 70 mph are 30 to 33. I do have a weight distributing hitch and do NOT have the adjustable air suspension system. There is no squat with a properly set up WD hitch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.