DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been intrigued by this new Edge Pulsar product:
https://edgeproducts.com/edges-new-pulsar-tuning-module-for-2015-2018-ram-1500-5-7l-hemi-trucks/

There's a few threads on it already. Yet what does it really do? When I reached out to them they claim through the numbers (6 and 8 that is) it increases ignition timing and throttle response. I've reached back to see if it does anything to shift points, fuel map, etc. Yet it sounds like as of right now that is it.

At level 8 it requires higher octane fuel, is this to curb the increased spark advance? Even at some advance (level 6) is this safe to have long term? Normal tuners adjust a lot more than a simple timing advance..

I wish the throttle commander disabled MDS, as I've always wanted that product, and throttle response and no MDS is all I'm looking for. Yet if I were to buy both, I could just get a diablosport and unlocked ECU...

Does anyone have any further input or knowledge on what this tuner actually does to our trucks? I hate that they don't give specific info other than "it releases power!".

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,238 Posts
The guy in the video explains exactly what it is and what it does.
"The pulsar is an ECU-type module, so that it plugs directly into the ECU - that we'll go over today - and it controls the throttle percentage and it controls the timing spark advance of the truck."
Don't get distracted by the introductory hairy-chested music soundtrack and the clever camera work. If it was more sophisicated than that, they'd be using that sophistication as a selling point. It's not.

Most of the money invested in this little widget went not toward the design and manufacture of the widget, but into the production of the advertising campaign.
That thing meets its primary design target every time someone buys the damn thing, simple as that. It's bait for your money, nothing more.

I halfway expected them to say "But wait, there's more!!!" then offer a set of free steak knives if I placed an order right away.

Oh, and then there's this;
No modifications to vehicles PCM leaving virtually no traces for warranty
It shouldn't be necessary to point out that "virtually no trace" is not even close to being the same thing as "undetectable" in the event a warranty claim problem is suspected by FCA. There is no question about whether the tech staff at FCA could detect whether a truck had been running with this thing installed and active. They damn sure could, and would be perfectly within their rights to deny warranty coverage.
You reckon the people at Edge would come to anyone's rescue in a situation like that?

EDIT ; Holy crap, they want $500 for that damn thing.

Look, a couple of wiseguy investors got together and spent some money on contracting with some Chinese hightech sweatshop to develop a gizmo that will override the default ECU setting and allow the ignition timing and throttle mapping to be adjusted. Then they contracted with another sweatshop to produce it, and yet another one to design and build the website product portals and advertising campaign.
Now they're sitting back and waiting for you to send them $500.
This is not complicated, and happens all the time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate your feedback. I missed that part on the video. Increasing ignition timing (without really doing anything else) is not the best/proper way to increase performance. Am I correct or maybe this is common and I'm wrong.

I wish someone would come out with a way to auto-disable MDS for cheap, I'd love it, ha.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got the Pulsar in mine, I had the pedal commander before this. I can tell you that the edge made a noticeable difference, I only run the performance setting because imo there's no point in running any other level, the economy setting has the throttle dialed way back and the tow setting kind of feels like you're in tow haul mode which makes sense. I read somewhere that it made 24 or 27hp on the dyno. I'd pay the extra and get the diablo with the unlocked PCM if I were to do it again so you have more features to customize. And lastly my pedal commander and the edge didn't get along, kept getting a throttle position sensor code which left the truck dead in the water. For $500 it's worth it though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the Pulsar in mine, I had the pedal commander before this. I can tell you that the edge made a noticeable difference, I only run the performance setting because imo there's no point in running any other level, the economy setting has the throttle dialed way back and the tow setting kind of feels like you're in tow haul mode which makes sense. I read somewhere that it made 24 or 27hp on the dyno. I'd pay the extra and get the diablo with the unlocked PCM if I were to do it again so you have more features to customize. And lastly my pedal commander and the edge didn't get along, kept getting a throttle position sensor code which left the truck dead in the water. For $500 it's worth it though.
When I messaged them, they said tow mode was actually just "mild" mode, so it shouldn't feel any different than just a lesser performance mode (less timing/throttle). Other than that, do you run higher octane in performance mode?

If you had to compare the throttle response in tow or performance to the pedal commander, what level would you say it's at? Just curious how much they adjust.

·
Registered
178 Posts
When I messaged them, they said tow mode was actually just "mild" mode, so it shouldn't feel any different than just a lesser performance mode (less timing/throttle). Other than that, do you run higher octane in performance mode?

If you had to compare the throttle response in tow or performance to the pedal commander, what level would you say it's at? Just curious how much they adjust.
On the tow tune it seems to hold the gears a bit longer and downshift to help slow you down. Tow tune feels like city 0 and performance maybe city +4 if I had to guess. I couldn't even drive the truck on performance with the pedal commander dialed way back to city 0. I spun leaving every light without even trying. But imo the power seems to peak around 3500-4000rpm on performance so it feels a lot different vs the pedal commander on sport lets say.

·
Registered
178 Posts

And yes I run premium fuel (91 octane) on performance, I've heard guys saying it'll knock quite a bit on reg fuel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've got just over 6000 miles on my Pulsar, it makes a very noticeable difference on levels 6 & 8. I also run a Pedal Commander, this combo has worked very well on my 17, no issues at all. It's made in the US & not a gimmick type product as stated earlier in the thread. There have been some reports of surging & stalling but I think those experiencing issues are in the minority, hard to know for sure when all info is from forum posts. Me personally, I would buy again based on the experience I have had w/ the product. It's very well made & the interface to change levels is integrated in w/ the cruise-control +/- buttons, pretty slick. I tend to keep mine on level 6 w/ the Pedal Commander on Sport -3. Level 8 adds noticeable power but it's nice not having to run Premium fuel on Level 6 but still get a nice bump over stock.

Dyno results vid - https://youtu.be/yU5CZb00Wv0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts