DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sean from HemiFever suggested to me, I should put 180 degree thermostat in my truck after receiving his custom tune, to reduce knock. Has anyone done this yet? Does the truck end up running too cold in winter?Also, thinking about pulling my clutch fan off and replacing it with a nice clean looking electric fan. I am planning on using the factory shroud to mount the fan. If you have done this, PLEASE let me know what fan you chose. It looks like I could fit around a 20" fan in there. Just trying to eliminate trial and error.

Thanx guys!

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
I have no issues with the 180* stat and for the fan just use a factory V6 fan. It's plug and play and mounts in the oem spots. Do a search around here...you'll find several threads about it.
There's a knock off version that's popular also but for 250 bucks I went with the OEM fan.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
FYI your truck has a factory efan stock. The stock setup uses an efan and a clutch fan. You could replace it and go with the v6 efan like many do, but from what i can tell it is the exact same fan, just has a different shroud. The shroud is a little better on it, but the factory setup is adequate. I ran my truck hauling a lot of weight through the mountains this summer with no clutch fan and just the oem efan setup(altered the settings) and never had any issues. It was also 100-110 deg F most of the trip, cruising aroudn 75mph.

I ended up just going back to the stock fan setup(stock clutch fan and stock efan with stock settings) because I really didn't see any difference. I believe the clutch fan helps keep trans temp down a little so I went back to stock.

I also have a 180 tstat. Can't comment on winters as I live in sunny florida, but never really see many people complain. The ones that do are usually from alaska or something like that.

·
Registered
355 Posts
FYI your truck has a factory efan stock. The stock setup uses an efan and a clutch fan. You could replace it and go with the v6 efan like many do, but from what i can tell it is the exact same fan, just has a different shroud. The shroud is a little better on it, but the factory setup is adequate. I ran my truck hauling a lot of weight through the mountains this summer with no clutch fan and just the oem efan setup(altered the settings) and never had any issues. It was also 100-110 deg F most of the trip, cruising aroudn 75mph.

I ended up just going back to the stock fan setup(stock clutch fan and stock efan with stock settings) because I really didn't see any difference. I believe the clutch fan helps keep trans temp down a little so I went back to stock.

I also have a 180 tstat. Can't comment on winters as I live in sunny florida, but never really see many people complain. The ones that do are usually from alaska or something like that.
After reading the thread about the guy that put a transmission temp sensor on his truck I'm thinking I should put a small fan and temp sensor on the transmission fluid cooler if I go with a e fan. The clutch fan always runs. If I run an e fan and 180 t-stat the efan should never run on the highway. The transmission is the obvious weak link in these trucks so I think keeping an ideal temperature wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
From my experience(and I know our trucks are a bit different, but they use basically identical cooling systems and transmissions) my transmission is ALWAYS on the cold side. TE said normal operating temp is roughly 180 deg F. Mine rarely gets that hot. Normally, mine will be around 120-140 deg F if I drive for an hour or less. It will get and stay around 150 deg F if I drive for a long period. The highest it's ever been was around 180 or 190 deg F when I was hauling a lot of weight through the mountains at 75mph in 100-110 deg F outside temps. At that time I had the clutch fan removed and had the efan set to turn on at 205 deg F and off at ~196 deg F(running a 180 tstat). I have since reinstalled the clutch fan and set the efan settings to stock(still have the 180 deg tstat) and although haven't been in that situation again yet, the trans seems to stay cooler than without the clutch fan. I notice no other real changes in drive ability, power, mpg, etc. The efan now never runs(unless AC is on) or if I sit for maybe 5+ minutes in summer hear(90 deg F or hotter). Right now it's in the 70's and even sitting idle the engine temp holds at 190-195 deg F without the efan running.

Keep in mind the clutch fan is "free spinning" (not engaged) until a certain temp, so there's very little drag until it's engaged. It is not like the old non clutch fans that were ALWAYS running. Yes it is always spinning but that's just drag in the clutch, there's little power lost there.

I just decided that I'd rather the trans stay a little cooler so put the clutch fan back in. I had no better cooling with just the efan anyway(actually, probably worse as it was less consistent).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From my experience(and I know our trucks are a bit different, but they use basically identical cooling systems and transmissions) my transmission is ALWAYS on the cold side. TE said normal operating temp is roughly 180 deg F. Mine rarely gets that hot. Normally, mine will be around 120-140 deg F if I drive for an hour or less. It will get and stay around 150 deg F if I drive for a long period. The highest it's ever been was around 180 or 190 deg F when I was hauling a lot of weight through the mountains at 75mph in 100-110 deg F outside temps. At that time I had the clutch fan removed and had the efan set to turn on at 205 deg F and off at ~196 deg F(running a 180 tstat). I have since reinstalled the clutch fan and set the efan settings to stock(still have the 180 deg tstat) and although haven't been in that situation again yet, the trans seems to stay cooler than without the clutch fan. I notice no other real changes in drive ability, power, mpg, etc. The efan now never runs(unless AC is on) or if I sit for maybe 5+ minutes in summer hear(90 deg F or hotter). Right now it's in the 70's and even sitting idle the engine temp holds at 190-195 deg F without the efan running.

Keep in mind the clutch fan is "free spinning" (not engaged) until a certain temp, so there's very little drag until it's engaged. It is not like the old non clutch fans that were ALWAYS running. Yes it is always spinning but that's just drag in the clutch, there's little power lost there.

I just decided that I'd rather the trans stay a little cooler so put the clutch fan back in. I had no better cooling with just the efan anyway(actually, probably worse as it was less consistent).
I'm convinced... Not messing with the clutch fan.
Pretty sure I will be going with the cooler thermostat though. I am hoping that it will reduce detonation at WOT

Thank you

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Is your truck pulling timing? I assume you have a what 93 octane tune from Sean? A catch can would also help as it removes oil vapor from the intake charge(oil in the intake reduces octane level...and the higher the octane the more resistance to detonation).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is your truck pulling timing? I assume you have a what 93 octane tune from Sean? A catch can would also help as it removes oil vapor from the intake charge(oil in the intake reduces octane level...and the higher the octane the more resistance to detonation).
I have his 91oct tune due to the fact that I use 92oct fuel. I did order a catch can (thank you for the advice). When the can showed up last week, I tried to assemble it and none of the threads were tapped correctly! I am now waiting on my replacement with fingers crossed. When logging data after Hemifever tune, I saw that knock bounced to 2.5. With a cooler tstat Sean suggested that it would bring that number down to 1-1.5.
I must say, before Sean tinkered with my tune, it had some major predetination issues (due to my CAI). It sounded like a pop can rattling around under my hood at WOT.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those running a 180 tstat... What temp does your truck run now?

·
Registered
219 Posts
mine stays pegged at 180 when driving. creeps up at an extended stop to 195 then the efan kicks on.

·
Banned
1,008 Posts
About the same for me...it seems to like 181 when driving. Now that I can set the fan on/off temps myself I have them kick on at 185 and it might go over that by 1-2 degrees when sitting for long periods.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys... I have been to 3 auto parts stores and looked on summit racing.com and cant find a thermostat that says it "fits" my truck (other than the 203). Where are you guys finding the more intelligent auto parts employees that can sell you a 180 degree thermostat?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got mine from moes performance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts