DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eFan SWAP AND CLUTCH FAN DELETE
Since I now have a tuned PCM that kicks on the fan at 180 I went ahead a pulled off the clutch fan and replaced my stock eFan with the v6 fan. It is a LOT bigger and is completely plug and play. So far it works like a champ! Keeps the motor right at 181. It creeps up when you are parked but when it kicks into high speed the temp takes a nose dive! I also have a 180 tstat so everything comes on at 180ish. It was super simple and took Tim and I less than 5 minutes to do once we knew what we are doing. lol.

(new fan on the right next to stock fan for size comparison)
Tools needed:
flathead screwdriver
wrench
13mm socket
butter(for Tim lol)
Step 1:
Disconncect the battery
Step 2:
Take off the shroud and disconnect the wire on the driver top side of the radiator
Step 3:
From underneath the truck take off the lower shroud and the bottom of the stock eFan shroud

Step 4:
Put a screwdriver in the pulley to keep it from turning and use a wrench to turn the nut on the fan shaft clockwise until loose. Remember to keep the fan standing up when you are storing it

Step 5:
While you are underneath the truck remove the metal tab clip that connects the fan to the radiator.
Step 6:
Remove the two bolts on the top of the shroud(one on each side) and pull the shroud out the top.
Step 7:
Remove the metal clip on the top of the fan and radiator and remove the fan. It has pressure clips holding it on now
Step 8:
Drop the new fan in and bolt it up. When we were attaching the wire harness back it would not fit at all. Tims solution was butter! lmao. Well it worked with a little elbow grease.

Before:

After:

This fan is a beast! Like I said earlier so far it keeps everything really cool and it is amazing how fast the temp drops when it kicks into high speed! I got a OEM reproduction for less than a 150 dollars and it's completely plug and play for us 4th gen hemi guys!

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is the only mod I'm seriously looking into. I've read mixed reviews as to how it would perform with stock tuning and a stock thermostat. Thanks for the write up and pics -- very helpful.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Awesome!

Just wondering, I've been trying to find this out for a while - is the fan actually larger? And does it actually pull more air? It appears to be the same fan to me, just the difference in shroud.

Also, I assume you tuned your pcm swap with a diablo? I have mine tuned with a SC and I only have 1 fan speed, not two. Just looking for more info on this if you don't mind. Thanks! It looks really clean! Reps

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the only mod I'm seriously looking into. I've read mixed reviews as to how it would perform with stock tuning and a stock thermostat. Thanks for the write up and pics -- very helpful.
I don't have a stock tune or a stock tstat so I really couldn't speak on that side. I can tell you this fan does the job...well! As always, if you have any questions just ask. Me or someone here is always glad to help...

Awesome!

Just wondering, I've been trying to find this out for a while - is the fan actually larger? And does it actually pull more air? It appears to be the same fan to me, just the difference in shroud.

Also, I assume you tuned your pcm swap with a diablo? I have mine tuned with a SC and I only have 1 fan speed, not two. Just looking for more info on this if you don't mind. Thanks! It looks really clean! Reps
It is noticably larger. I tried to show that in the first pic but here is another. The stock fan is on the top. It was difficult to stack them to show a size difference but it is there!

I have a 2011 so no tuner but we installed a B&G tuned PCM at the same time we did the fan.

The differences so far(keep in mind it's been less than 48 hours):smaller shroud, cleaner look, etc. When I had the stock setup my 180 tstat kept my truck around 183 for the most part but it would get hot at idle and under wot. Now that I have swapped the efan and taken off the clutch fan with the new PCM I run between 177-181. At idle it can creep up. My high speed setting is at 203 and you know when it kicks on. You can literally watch the temp go down almost a degree every second or two. It is amazing how much air this thing moves.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wonder what speed my single setting adjustment on the SC adjusts (high or low speed)?

My fan sounds the same when the AC compressor is on and when the fan kicks on (have it set around 200 deg) with my 180 tstat. Same as you, stays pretty cool (188-194) and when you aren't moving it creeps up to 200 then the fan kicks on. I wonder though if it's on "high" or "low". Does your "low" sound the same as when the AC is on?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think so and here is the reason why...

We put one in Tim's(916Timmy) truck right after mine. After the test drive we were sitting in his driveway with the ac on so the fan was running and the temp was creeping up. Once it hit 203 it went shooting back down. The same thing happened to me in the drive thru. My ac was on and the temp crept up and when it hit 203 it got louder and the temp instantly dropped.

That leads me to believe my low setting is 180 or if ac is on and my high setting is 203. The high setting works like a champ but I don't know how having just a high setting would work. It cools too well so it would constantly be kicking in and out. I would change it to a two stage if you can...

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Ok thanks for the info. I'm thinking I may end up getting an aftermarket controller at some point to run both speeds and dial it in. I've had no issues what so ever with how it's currently set up, but I'd like "full control" and the ability to use both speeds.

I do like the idea of removing the GIANT fan shroud lol...maybe one day I'll make the swap.

I find it interesting that with your 180 tstat you stay around 180 deg. With my 180 tstat (I know it's a different engine...but whatever) I stay around 190 deg. I tested my tstat before install and it seemed more like a 185 deg tstat, it cracked open closer to like 185-190, not 180.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I just got a good tstat. Mine and Tim's are the same brand but mine would run about 2-3 degrees cooler. Keep in mind that I installed the tstat late last year so it was pretty cold outside. Also, it would stay at that temp as long as I was moving. He has a predator and it allows dual fan tuning. I guess the SC doesn't? Or maybe that's a 4.7 thing?

The fan was really cheap. Parts geek for 125 shipped. I wasn't complaining at all!!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could you measure your new fan for me? I'm kinda curious if this will fit into a 3rd gen.
I'm about to be hitting the road for the weekend so I will but it may be Monday before I can. I would think that it would fit, but not without modifications since this is a OEM reproduction fan of the stock V6 fan in the 4th gen rams. I'll give you an answer asap

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure about the SC fan settings. Don't know if it's a general thing with the rams or just the 4.7L's. I've had to work with them a lot though to get this far lol. Initially, the fan would come on anytime the coolant reached 130deg. So it basically ran ALWAYS, after initial cold start. Now I at least have an adjustment and it works correctly, but only for one speed. That's why I said maybe one day I'll just get an aftermarket controller and be done with it. Should be inexpensive anyway...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nice write up. 2 questions
First - When you hook the harness in does it replace the stock ac fan (the smaller fan that the 4th gen has built in) or does that stock efan stay connected as a "back up"?

Second - Your low setting temp is 180? and high setting is 203?

Thanks for the info as I have a v6 efan sitting around waiting to get installed on my truck.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
It replaces the stock AC condenser fan and the stock clutch fan shroud. Mine dropped from 197 to 179 in less than 20 seconds parked in the driveway, much faster than with the condenser fans. The Blade size isn't crazy, but the motor that spins the fan is much stronger. It spins much faster and has more blade pitch for more air. I will throw some more data in here when I can. The high speed circuit on it is no joke!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What Tim said. We did ours at the same time and I'm a believer! It's crazy how fast the temp drops at high speed.

As for the second question, it is a dual stage fan. With my programmed PCM the low speed setting(the same that comes on with the ac) is programmed to come on at 180. The high speed setting is at 203. So if the ac is on or it's over 180 low speed, if 203 or over then it kicks into high speed. Great quick mod and it cleans up the engine bay.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I'm about to be hitting the road for the weekend so I will but it may be Monday before I can. I would think that it would fit, but not without modifications since this is a OEM reproduction fan of the stock V6 fan in the 4th gen rams. I'll give you an answer asap
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
120 Posts
With my programmed PCM the low speed setting(the same that comes on with the ac) is programmed to come on at 180. The high speed setting is at 203. So if the ac is on or it's over 180 low speed, if 203 or over then it kicks into high speed.
question on this part... why set the high at 203... obviously its the temp of the stock thermostat but why not 190 of something of that sort.... keeps the engine cooler....

my only guess is cause you don't want the fan constantly coming on and off...?

1 - 20 of 199 Posts