DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi Magnum with 55K miles. Check engine light came on, ran diagnostic....code reads EGR valve or PCM as the most likely fixes. Any thoughts on what to try first? Any specific ways to tell which of the two it might be? I've read about resetting the PCM but not sure how to do that...something about unplugging the battery and such? Any help appreciated....

·
Registered
198 Posts
What were the specific codes?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ok i just checked that out p0406 is egr circut high. 90% of the time an egr code is just that. I would replace the egr, the chances of it being a wiring problem or other are small. I used to work for a Dodge dealership and probably changed dozens lol. Btw Rockauto.com has it for 39.00. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue and bought the EGR Valve myself. Has anyone replaced it, does it require any special tools, how difficult is it?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
it's as easy a job as can be to replace... unplug connector to it, I believe there are 2 bolts holding the tube onto egr..and the rear part of tube is held by a clip..once tube is removed you have direct access to the egr itself..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts