DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried one of these electric fans that mounts in the air cleaner end suppose to be pushing 3.5 psi in the intake:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
247 Posts
your engine can suck more air then that will ever blow seen them on ebay its a joke. maybe for honda to help with that Hold On Not Done Accelerating

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
They do not move enough air volume to do anything. It will just be a restriction in the air path.

·
Registered
507 Posts
your engine can suck more air then that will ever blow seen them on ebay its a joke. maybe for honda to help with that Hold On Not Done Accelerating

.................. :repplus:

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Yeah as already said, it would do more harm then good, now if you get one of those turbo type things that pushes say 6-8 lbs of boost then i say go for it!:LOL:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Poor Mans Supercharger?

:thk:

I've seen these things. It says it produces 5+ psi in a tenth of a sec and reaches its max rpm of 20000+. Ive really been thinking about one myself but have been really putting in research time. There are a lot of designs out there. About the restriction... I say it wouldn't affect airflow, it turns with the intake flow, creating a vortex, helping atomize air/fuel mix if anything. Just a theory. If anyone gets one soon update us and review it. Im interested to know.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Please trust me, they don't work. It is literally theoretically impossible for it to work. It will not provide a pressurized intake, and will create restriction and resistance to airflow. Even a free flowing vortex in the intake would not help as it is only air in the intake until you reach the heads. Most atomization occurs INSIDE the combustion chamber, where turbulence is highest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hear you. My theory was unsound. Sorry. You are very correct. I will do nothing to pressurize the intake. Great job on the reply, this is why i love this place. Thank you.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yeah just trying to save you wasted money lol. I'm not much of an electrical person, but IIRC it would take more electrical energy to drive the fan to move enough volume of air to pressurize the intake than the output. So basically you'd use more energy in terms of electricity (from alternator/battery) than what you'd gain in energy in terms of hp output. So it would actually be a net loss in overall energy used.

Some people actually tried them on other forums I've been on and said they noticed no power gains and lost mpg, so the theory seems to fit...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just to further these findings, from what i have heard, these throttle bodies flow the equivalent of an 800CFM carb, so if you were able to top that with a fan that would be small enough fit under that hood (not likely) im pretty sure you would have a path beaten to your door, lol! Now, if someone has the means to supercharge these ( :wow: ), I am definetly DOWN!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Now, if someone has the means to supercharge these ( :wow: ), I am definetly DOWN!
More like TURBOCHARGE! haha. I will pretty soon. Before i leave to school in august i hope!;)

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
mblatz and darknight,

I saw on DF a what appeared to be complete supercharger kit for sale, hardly used at all. I think he wanted $2,000 for it. It goes to the older 4.7L but surely could be adapted easily enough. Supposed to increase power by 36%.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Wow 2000$ is a pretty good price for the KIT. Wonder how many miles it has on it. What brand?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts