DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wonering if anybody has installed cutouts on there truck if so i was wanting to know where you put them, what kind of sound you were getting and if there were any negitive effects they have on the engine

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had one on my car before I traded it in. It was a $600 decision and I regretted every second of it. Mine was mounted on the downpipe and right off the back of the turbo.

The sound I was getting was absolutely obnoxious. It was only a 4banger, I couldnt even imagine an 8 cylinder. I litterally NEVER ran with it open. Way to loud, and such an annoying drone.

as far as performance, it accutally made my car slower. Although it was a turbo'd car which needs back pressure to spool better. So I wouldnt know what it would do to a N/A engine.

Just my thoughts..

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have one mouted right under my passenger door
The sound is a deep growl not obnoxious loud
No problems with my engine i ride with it open alot
The only thing i do when its open is drive with it in 5th gear cuz it sounds like shit when it kicks in 4cyl mode

·
Registered
126 Posts
Right after the Y and its okay. Just loud. It did amplify the lope of my cam(s)
Agree^^^especially when its cold or been sitting awhile and i still have it open and start it from my keypad its real aggresive idleing its sounds really good

·
Registered
6,250 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have mine about where the doors meet on the qc. I love it. But I like loud and it is loud. Cost me 140. Then since i do not know how to or have the equipment to weld I paid 50 to have it mounted and ran the wires myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Where did y'all buy the e cutout and what size?

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm running a 3" QTP right after the mag y. No cam so idle is just a little louder, get on it and it sounds like a Nascar truck! Love it. Light throttle is nice too, turns heads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I called the muffler shop to get a quote and they said about $800 for parts and labor. They said I would need 2? I have a single exhaust coming off long tube headers. Does this sound right for electric cutouts, wiring, installation? And does anyone know why I would need 2?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Thats way high if you ask me. And they must be talking about put one on each side right behind the headers but you can just put one after the Y and it will sound good.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
That sounds extremely high for just cutouts. I'm getting my whole exhaust redone this weekend and I was told it would be sightly less that that. And you'll only need 2 if they are going before your y pipe. If not then 1 will be all you need.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I called the muffler shop to get a quote and they said about $800 for parts and labor. They said I would need 2? I have a single exhaust coming off long tube headers. Does this sound right for electric cutouts, wiring, installation? And does anyone know why I would need 2?
thats insane. all you need is a 3" either raceland ($180 shipped) or qtp (220+) 2 butt joint band clamps, a sawzaw, and 15-30 min of your time

·
Registered
50 Posts
^ Without welding it in don't you take a risk of causing an exhaust leak? Also is there any real difference in the sound if you have two? Also do you notice any difference in performance or is it strictly for a badass sound? Also does that throw any CEL? Sorry for all the questions but I want to find out all the information possible before doing this. Thanks

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
^ Without welding it in don't you take a risk of causing an exhaust leak? Also is there any real difference in the sound if you have two? Also do you notice any difference in performance or is it strictly for a badass sound? Also does that throw any CEL? Sorry for all the questions but I want to find out all the information possible before doing this. Thanks
If you did 2 before your y pipe it would be much louder than 1 right after it. As for the performance side of it, I believe chefred said that when he took it to the track it ran slower with the cutouts open than it did closed, but then when he put the NOS on it was faster with the cutouts open, than closed, if I remember correctly. You shouldn't get any CEL I don't think since air is still reaching the O2 sensors and the cutouts don't mess with those.

·
Registered
50 Posts
After reading and watching some videos I think I am going to order the cutout online, take it to a muffler shop just to weld it in, and then do the wiring myself. Any preferences on brands? And has anyone experienced any problems associated with this mod?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
After reading and watching some videos I think I am going to order the cutout online, take it to a muffler shop just to weld it in, and then do the wiring myself. Any preferences on brands? And has anyone experienced any problems associated with this mod?
discountautoperformancve now carries e-cut-outs:smileup:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Check out DMH. They are top quality and probably have the best warranty of any of the brands as well. Its what I have going on my truck, and alot of others have them too.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts