DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to find answers for a week, now. I can't seem to find exactly what I am looking for, however.

I have a 2001 5.2L Ext. Cab.

The radiator shroud was missing when I got the truck. Needless to say, my truck does not stay cool very well. I have been wanting to convert over to a dual electric setup and I want to tackle this in the next week or so. This will be, somewhat of a budget build. If I had Flex-A-Lite money, I would certainly go that route.

I have found that the later Dodge Intrepid fans are a close match (dimensionally) so I am certainly leaning that direction. I am planning on hitting up Pick-n-Pull this weekend to get the fans and harness pigtails (generally 3 wires per fan). I am pretty confident in my mechanic and fabrication abilities, but electrical gets the best of me sometimes.

What I am unsure of is the wiring. Obviously, the exact details will depend on what I find at the salvage yard. I'm thinking I will probably order the Hayden 3652 fan controller with temp probe. However, I do not fully understand how to wire it to do what I need it to do: low fan @ *insert temp* & high fan @ *insert temp* + when A/C kicks on. I have been drawing diagrams the last couple nights, but am just unsure if they are correct.

Where do the relays need to go?
How many Relays do I need?
How many blades should the relays have?
How do I wire the relays from fan to ignition and from fan to A/C?
Should I have inline fuses anywhere?

Like I said I have red many threads on many forums, but I just can't seem to locate the exact answer I am looking for. Honestly, I am sure I am over thinking the whole process. Any help is appreciated.

Thank You,

·
Registered
56 Posts
honestly I think you would be better looking into Jegs or summit and getting a conversion kit this is something that has to be precise or you could do damage to the engine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the system mapped out, I am just unclear which A/C wire I need too tap into in order for it to control the high fan as well.

I am doubtful I will get a helpful response, but here goes nothing. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
well on cars with electric fans the fan will stay on and run as long as the Ac is on then when the ac is off it will switch back to coming on and off with the temp sensor so you could see what wire off the ac compressor lights up with a test light then use that to a relay to turn on the fan hypothetically

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess that would be the easiest way to do it. The book says there are 3 wire thatbgo to the A/C, from the ECU. One is labelled lowpressure sensor, the other two should be a ground amd a power, right? I will check it out with a test light and see.

Thanks for the response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts