DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Ram 5.9. Looking to switch to an electric fan and get rid of the clutch fan. Need better fuel mileage. Whats the best way of doing this and what is all needed to be done. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Taurus fan seems like a cheap way to go about things and I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as it keeps the truck cool. Florida heat is brutal some days.

·
Registered
31 Posts
what year taurus if you dont mind me askin?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Definately go with an electric fan. Don't expect big number gains, but every little bit helps. The biggest difference you'll notice is an increase in your low end torque. After you hit about 45mph, your clutch disengages and the fan spins freely because there's more air getting pushed through the radiator than the fan can pull. At this point, you won't feel any difference between pre-electric and post-electric install.

You can buy an aftermarket fan from AutoZone for $75. It has all the mounting hardware to marry it up to the radiator. It's little more than one way zip ties...make sure its right the first time. LOL.

They also sell a temp sensor kit that will turn the fan on and off...up to you if you want to use it. The clutch fan always spins, so leaving the electric fan running won't hurt anything. The electric will start to free spin at 45 mph or so and will generate some CEMF (counter electromatic force)...if you've got a sensitive audio setup, you could get some feedback. Put on a good ground and you'll be set.

It's a piece of cake and while you're in there, change your antifreeze out. It should be green....mine was brown. LOL.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Great write up bigtallcambell. I would suggest going with a proper fan that is made for your truck. If the fan you get is not getting enough cool air you can overheat the motor. I was looking into getting one of thes fans and I was looking at the Flex-a-lite made for the Hemi. I also have heard guys using the Taurus efan as well.

If you get a fan that is too small you will be pretty pissed off when you are sitting in traffic stopped and there is smoke coming from under the hood!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts