DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be having issues with my EPS on my 2013 1500 Express. I've had the truck since new in Aug 2013 but this winter the power steering assist has started changing its feel from day to day. When I first noticed it, the truck started loosing it's positive feel down the road and I had to do more correcting of the wheel to maintain a straight line. This varied from day to day, sometimes better, sometimes worse. Then when the temps drop below -20C the steering gets real firm and does not loosen with driving. If the temps increase during the day, the steering feels a little better when I fire the truck up later in the day. Overall the steering assist has become heavier and I have lost the easy light effort the truck once had with cold days being worst. The on-centre feel has become rubbery and I feel like I'm always fighting the wheel to keep a straight line. I've taken the truck in for service twice regarding this but my dealer says that they can't find a fault, no codes and mechanically everything checks out. When I've gone to the car wash and sprayed the underbody and done an engine wash, the steering becomes miraculously light and precise when I leave. The next morning we're back to heavy effort. From my research on the net, I'm worried that the whole rack assembly may be at fault, but if I can't convince the dealer I may be screwed once my bumper to bumper warranty is up later this year. Anyone else have similar issues?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Mine went early on it was fine when I stopped for gas but when I went to leave it was almost impossible to turn the wheel even when going down the road it took all of my might to turn. They wound up changing the whole assembly but sat at the dealer for a couple days. I would start letting them know how much of a safety issue this is and if they dont react to the warning they will be held liable.

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
If the EPS rack fails you still have steering, and if you are going fast it will be easier just FWIW.

Are you sure its the EPS? Cold weather can do weird stuff to electrical components, but are you sure it doesn't just need an alignment? I don't necessarily want to say that's the issue, IDK how/where you drive or how many miles are on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I originally thought my alignment may be the cause and when I went to the dealer the first time, I told them if it needed an alignment I wanted the before and after alignment specs for my records. When I got the truck back, they said they couldn't find anything wrong, so I assumed that the alignment wasn't an issue. Now that I look back at the service invoice, there's no mention of an alignment check, just steering components. Hmmm. Maybe I'm just noticing the stiffer feel when cold because I have to correct a lot more these days and EPS doesn't necessarily warm up like a hydraulic system. When I went to the car wash, maybe the steering warmed up from the hot water enought to feel lighter. Only thing that sucks is that alignments at a properly equipped shop seem to be about $129.99 around here, pretty expensive if that's not actually the problem. More to look into I guess.

For the record the truck only has 27,000 km (16,875 mi) on it and I don't off-road or drive gravel roads, but the frost heaved, pot hole filled roads here in Winnipeg can be brutal on alignments, tires, and rims.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine went early on it was fine when I stopped for gas but when I went to leave it was almost impossible to turn the wheel even when going down the road it took all of my might to turn. They wound up changing the whole assembly but sat at the dealer for a couple days. I would start letting them know how much of a safety issue this is and if they dont react to the warning they will be held liable.

Had the same issue on my '14 Express within a week after I bought it. Only a couple hundred miles on the clock, was just driving down the road and the wheel became hard to turn and the service EPS light came on. Dealer replaced the entire steering rack and it was fine ever since.

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
The shop I go to charges $25 for an alignment check and credits that towards the $100 cost of the alignment if you end up needing one. I thought that was a pretty standard thing

·
Registered
708 Posts
My whole trucks electrical system shuts down. All the lights on the dash go crazy and speedometer jumps all over and I lose my steering when I'm moving . Going to dealer on the 9th . I took video of it so the dealer can see the issue.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
My whole trucks electrical system shuts down. All the lights on the dash go crazy and speedometer jumps all over and I lose my steering when I'm moving . Going to dealer on the 9th . I took video of it so the dealer can see the issue.
Keep us posted on the outcome at the dealership and let me know if there's anything I can do to be of assistance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What happened to this thread? Walter I have the exact same problems as you with my 2015. Just changed the control arms and it's still the same. It's intermittent, sometimes steers fine, sometimes I can't even turn the wheel at 100kph with all my might. This is becoming very dangerous and I'm terrified the dealer will deny my warranty because of my lift kit.

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
What happened to this thread? Walter I have the exact same problems as you with my 2015. Just changed the control arms and it's still the same. It's intermittent, sometimes steers fine, sometimes I can't even turn the wheel at 100kph with all my might. This is becoming very dangerous and I'm terrified the dealer will deny my warranty because of my lift kit.
Are you sure there is nothing interfering with it? Lifts change steering geometry

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are you sure there is nothing interfering with it? Lifts change steering geometry
Absolutely positive. I have had the lift for almost 2 years with no issues. The problem is intermittent. Sometimes it steers fine, sometimes hard to steer in one direction only, then the other direction, with no patterns. I know its not ball joints, tie rods, or anything interfering. Ive had the front end apart a few times and I am convinced the steering rack is going.

I will update what the dealer says, and if they honor the warranty or not.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Seems like the problem has fixed itself for the time being. I will have to wait until/if it happens again before leaving it at the dealership.

·
Registered
87 Posts
PROGRESS!!

I was convinced it was the steering rack, but i replaced the upper ball joints and tie rods just to be sure they weren't the culprit (they were aftermarket parts from my lift). I took it in a few times since, but the problem was intermittent and would never show up at the dealership.

I finally got them to duplicate the problem, they found the u-joint before the steering rack was siezed! This is a 2015 ram with 20,000 kms! They quickly replaced the part, under warranty, and my steering is back to normal (thank god).

If anyone is having steering problems take a look at the u joint in the steering shaft.

·
Super Moderator
34,705 Posts
Weird, but I can see how tat could put more pressure on the boost motor. Thanks for the follow up!

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,435 Posts
It's something else than your EPS. Even if you get a failure of the rack you can still steer with more effort. If you can't turn the wheel at all something is interfering with it.

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,435 Posts
PROGRESS!!

I was convinced it was the steering rack, but i replaced the upper ball joints and tie rods just to be sure they weren't the culprit (they were aftermarket parts from my lift). I took it in a few times since, but the problem was intermittent and would never show up at the dealership.

I finally got them to duplicate the problem, they found the u-joint before the steering rack was siezed! This is a 2015 ram with 20,000 kms! They quickly replaced the part, under warranty, and my steering is back to normal (thank god).

If anyone is having steering problems take a look at the u joint in the steering shaft.
Glad you were able to get that repaired. I knew it wasn't the rack based on you not being able to turn the wheel at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was able to turn it, it just took both hands and alot of force even when travelling at high speed. I thought about the u joints, but thought there was no way a newer U joint would fail prematurely, abruptly, and intermittently. Never had a u joint in the steering shaft fail on any vehicle before.

Thanks for the help :smileup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all - I've just started having steering issues - it's weird as it feels like it's changing boost through the turns - light/heavy/light/heavy - very noticeable at parking lot speeds. My truck is stock with only a few appearance mods. My dealer has great sales staff, but their service is questionable, so I'm wondering what the cost of this steering rack replacement? That sounds expensive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi all - I've just started having steering issues - it's weird as it feels like it's changing boost through the turns - light/heavy/light/heavy - very noticeable at parking lot speeds. My truck is stock with only a few appearance mods. My dealer has great sales staff, but their service is questionable, so I'm wondering what the cost of this steering rack replacement? That sounds expensive.

Bout 1200-1300 bucks... so Yes.. expensive (if your paying out of pocket). So if its still under warranty i would try getting the dealer to fix it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts