DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post. I purchased a 2014 Ram 1500 Express regular cab a week ago and I absolutely love this thing!!! Only issue so far at only 450 miles on the odometer, my electric power steering just cut out on me on my drive home from work today. Has anyone else had any issues with this electric power steering? This thing is extremely hard to steer with 20's and I won't be able to get into the dealer until this weekend.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There's a member on ram1500diesel.com who's electronic power steering rack was overheating and shorting out. Dealer fixed it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got it back yesterday from the dealer. They found an internal failure in the electric power steering module and had to replace the whole rack and pinion gear. All is well now.

·
Super Moderator
34,287 Posts
Good to hear. From the few other times I've heard of this happening, EPS failure requires a whole new rack to fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Electric Power Steering Module Failure

This appears to be a known problem with the 2013 and 2014 RAM 1500's. My 2014 RAM EPS has failed 6 times now in cold weather. The truck has 32,000 miles and still under warranty. The problem is intermittent, and the dealer has verified the code (C2217-00 Electric Power Steering Internal Failure). However, it is now RAM corporate's official position that they will not replace the unit unless it is in a failed state when you bring it to the dealership. In other words, your PS has to fail completely - and hope you don't wreck the truck - before they will do anything. I have a case open with RAM customer service and they have verified this position while at the same time admitting that this is a significant safety issue. I bought this truck to tow a trailer, and frankly, I love it. It tows so well, that my wife doesn't even mind driving. However, if the PS were to go out while towing a trailer over one of the passes here in Colorado, it would be a life-threatening event - especially if my wife was driving. RAM admits all this, but apparently their official corporate position is now that they would rather threaten the safety (and lives) of their customers than do warranty work. The NHTSA has documented complaints from owners of '13 and '14 RAM 1500's that have crashed due to the PS failure. Is anyone at RAM listening?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This appears to be a known problem with the 2013 and 2014 RAM 1500's. My 2014 RAM EPS has failed 6 times now in cold weather. The truck has 32,000 miles and still under warranty. The problem is intermittent, and the dealer has verified the code (C2217-00 Electric Power Steering Internal Failure). However, it is now RAM corporate's official position that they will not replace the unit unless it is in a failed state when you bring it to the dealership. In other words, your PS has to fail completely - and hope you don't wreck the truck - before they will do anything. I have a case open with RAM customer service and they have verified this position while at the same time admitting that this is a significant safety issue. I bought this truck to tow a trailer, and frankly, I love it. It tows so well, that my wife doesn't even mind driving. However, if the PS were to go out while towing a trailer over one of the passes here in Colorado, it would be a life-threatening event - especially if my wife was driving. RAM admits all this, but apparently their official corporate position is now that they would rather threaten the safety (and lives) of their customers than do warranty work. The NHTSA has documented complaints from owners of '13 and '14 RAM 1500's that have crashed due to the PS failure. Is anyone at RAM listening?
If it were me and they told me this, I would find a way to make it fail completely, just saying.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wasn't aware of this being a known problem. I think this is only the second or third time its ever come up in the several forums I visit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
PS Failure.

If it were me and they told me this, I would find a way to make it fail completely, just saying.
Agreed... working on that. BTW.. it was 12 degrees here this morning and it failed again. Took a video. An hour later I started it and it was fine again.

Frankly, I'm completely appalled that RAM's position is that I have to drive a vehicle that is clearly unsafe until it has a potentially catastrophic/life-threatening event before they will fix it under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
34,287 Posts
I wasn't aware of this being a known problem. I think this is only the second or third time its ever come up in the several forums I visit.
Yeah I have seen maybe 4 cases of this now, and that is on forums where people go to complain. I do not believe this to be widespread at all, but as always YMMV. I have 64,000+ miles on my original EPS rack and its still going strong

·
Registered
6 Posts
2014 RAM 1500 PS Rack Failure

A few quick internet searches for me turned up dozens of complaints. Like this complaint #10899221 to the NHTSA where the driver wrecked his truck because the PS Control Module failed while he was making a left turn. In addition, Ford had a recall on some 2014 F150s for a similar problem with an electric PS rack made by the same manufacturer that RAM uses.

I have had two professional mechanics do research on it and they told me the same thing - known issue with the 2013 and 2014 RAM 1500s, and that it will eventually fail. The dealership also told me that it was a 'known' issue that they had encountered multiple times, and that they used to fix them under warranty based on the failure code in the system. But more recently RAM has cracked down on warranty work and now requires that it be in a failed state when you take it to the dealership before they will pay for it. RAMs customer service has verified this stance, while at the same time admitting that it is a safety issue.

Regardless of whether or not the issue has ever existed before, for a car company to tell a customer that they will not fix what they admit to be a safety issue, is just unbelievable.

The PS control module is built into the PS rack, so the whole rack has to be replaced. The genuine Mopar part retails for about $1,200 and the book says it takes 1.5-2.0 hours to replace.

So to save $1,500 (their cost is surely far less), RAM is willing to knowingly risk their owners safety.

I want to be clear... I love the truck. Towing our travel trailer with it is a dream. Last year, my wife and I travelled over Monarch Pass here in Colorado 8 times with our travel trailer. At least twice, she was driving. There is no way in hell I will do that again until this part is replaced.

All I want is for RAM to stop being such cheapskates and do what is right.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Yeah I have seen maybe 4 cases of this now, and that is on forums where people go to complain. I do not believe this to be widespread at all, but as always YMMV. I have 64,000+ miles on my original EPS rack and its still going strong
Widespread or not is the issue. With Ford, it only affected a few thousand vehicles out of the tens of thousands sold that year. Yet they still issued a recall. It is definitely an issue with 'some' '13 and '14 RAM 1500s. The dealership has verified that.

The bottom line is that it is clearly a safety issue (which RAM customer service acknowledges) and they are refusing to pay for it under warranty.

What does that say about RAM?

·
Super Moderator
34,287 Posts
Widespread or not is the issue. With Ford, it only affected a few thousand vehicles out of the tens of thousands sold that year. Yet they still issued a recall. It is definitely an issue with 'some' '13 and '14 RAM 1500s. The dealership has verified that.

The bottom line is that it is clearly a safety issue (which RAM customer service acknowledges) and they are refusing to pay for it under warranty.

What does that say about RAM?
Thats the thing, if its not systemic then no company is going to issue a recall for a statistically insignificant number of vehicles. You do not lose steering when the rack goes, just the assist; its the same as if a hydraulic PS pump went out.

I saw two posts where people had casting voids in their LCAs and they broke causing the wheel to swing out. That's arguably a worse safety issue, but if its only 2/400,000 or however many truck do you think a recall would/should be issued?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thats the thing, if its not systemic then no company is going to issue a recall for a statistically insignificant number of vehicles. You do not lose steering when the rack goes, just the assist; its the same as if a hydraulic PS pump went out.

I saw two posts where people had casting voids in their LCAs and they broke causing the wheel to swing out. That's arguably a worse safety issue, but if its only 2/400,000 or however many truck do you think a recall would/should be issued?
Thunderhorse: I appreciate where you are coming from. So let me try to clarify a couple of things...

I have driven nothing but Dodge/RAM trucks for 17 years now. I liked all of them. I love this truck. I just want RAM to step up and do the right thing, instead of trying to weasel out of legitimate warranty work to save $1,500. I am not asking for a recall. My truck has only 32,000 miles, it is still under warranty, and RAM is refusing to pay for a legitimate warranty repair. That is the core issue.

I am very, very sympathetic to mechanics and shops especially, and the auto manufacturers regarding the "my car is making a noise" syndrome. Or "my car is pulling to the right" when the person drives back and forth to work on a crowned road. This is not that.

My power steering has FAILED 8 times now in cold weather - including this morning (2/25/17). The system code shows that it has failed. The dealership has told me that they have seen this before and that eventually it will fail completely, and that RAM used to allow them to do the warranty work. But that more recently RAM will not pay for the warranty repair until it fails completely and I have it towed to the dealership. RAM has verified that this is their stance. That is just wrong. This isn't an AC unit where a failure while driving (on a two-lane mountain pass) would be an inconvenience.

If you any suggestions about how to effectively deal with the mindless bureaucracy that makes such stupid rules, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
6 Posts

"I saw two posts where people had casting voids in their LCAs and they broke causing the wheel to swing out."

Assume for a moment that you were owner of one of those "2" trucks that had casting voids in the LCA. Also assume that both you and RAM KNEW FOR A FACT that the LCA casting void existed in your truck. Assume also that your truck was still under warranty.

Would you drive the truck, towing a trailer? Would you drive it at all? What would you think if RAM agreed that the problem existed on your truck but refused to replace the part, even though your truck was under warranty?

That more accurately represents the position RAM has put me in.

·
Super Moderator
34,287 Posts
Thunderhorse: I appreciate where you are coming from. So let me try to clarify a couple of things...

I have driven nothing but Dodge/RAM trucks for 17 years now. I liked all of them. I love this truck. I just want RAM to step up and do the right thing, instead of trying to weasel out of legitimate warranty work to save $1,500. I am not asking for a recall. My truck has only 32,000 miles, it is still under warranty, and RAM is refusing to pay for a legitimate warranty repair. That is the core issue.

I am very, very sympathetic to mechanics and shops especially, and the auto manufacturers regarding the "my car is making a noise" syndrome. Or "my car is pulling to the right" when the person drives back and forth to work on a crowned road. This is not that.

My power steering has FAILED 8 times now in cold weather - including this morning (2/25/17). The system code shows that it has failed. The dealership has told me that they have seen this before and that eventually it will fail completely, and that RAM used to allow them to do the warranty work. But that more recently RAM will not pay for the warranty repair until it fails completely and I have it towed to the dealership. RAM has verified that this is their stance. That is just wrong. This isn't an AC unit where a failure while driving (on a two-lane mountain pass) would be an inconvenience.

If you any suggestions about how to effectively deal with the mindless bureaucracy that makes such stupid rules, I'm all ears.
Yeah I gotcha, they should absolutely cover it under warranty. I am not sure if the dealer is BSing you or not, but if they aren't then I might "encourage" my rack to fail completely so they'd cover it. I thought you were saying there should be a recall.
"I saw two posts where people had casting voids in their LCAs and they broke causing the wheel to swing out."

Assume for a moment that you were owner of one of those "2" trucks that had casting voids in the LCA. Also assume that both you and RAM KNEW FOR A FACT that the LCA casting void existed in your truck. Assume also that your truck was still under warranty.

Would you drive the truck, towing a trailer? Would you drive it at all? What would you think if RAM agreed that the problem existed on your truck but refused to replace the part, even though your truck was under warranty?

That more accurately represents the position RAM has put me in.
If they knew then sure, but its not widespread enough or able to be narrowed down to a production run so short of X-raying everyones arms that's not really possible.

If it happened I would expect it to be warrantied, and I'd also expect them to cover the resulting body damage

·
Registered
427 Posts
I absolutely agree the repair should be covered under warranty if it fails, but see no evidence of widespread failure.

Do you have anything in writing from FCA stating it's a known issue? If so, please share it with the forum in case we need it down the road. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had an extremely disappointing dealing with Chrysler regarding an issue with my transmission. I took me complaining extremely loudly and threatening a lawsuit to get it fixed. It only took 6 weeks!

All just for FCA to save a few bucks. The service manager at the dealership I went through said it was a wonder I didn't drive the truck through the showroom window!

Call Chrysler Care and threaten a lawsuit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
A few quick internet searches for me turned up dozens of complaints. Like this complaint #10899221 to the NHTSA where the driver wrecked his truck because the PS Control Module failed while he was making a left turn. In addition, Ford had a recall on some 2014 F150s for a similar problem with an electric PS rack made by the same manufacturer that RAM uses.

I have had two professional mechanics do research on it and they told me the same thing - known issue with the 2013 and 2014 RAM 1500s, and that it will eventually fail. The dealership also told me that it was a 'known' issue that they had encountered multiple times, and that they used to fix them under warranty based on the failure code in the system. But more recently RAM has cracked down on warranty work and now requires that it be in a failed state when you take it to the dealership before they will pay for it. RAMs customer service has verified this stance, while at the same time admitting that it is a safety issue.

Regardless of whether or not the issue has ever existed before, for a car company to tell a customer that they will not fix what they admit to be a safety issue, is just unbelievable.

The PS control module is built into the PS rack, so the whole rack has to be replaced. The genuine Mopar part retails for about $1,200 and the book says it takes 1.5-2.0 hours to replace.

So to save $1,500 (their cost is surely far less), RAM is willing to knowingly risk their owners safety.

I want to be clear... I love the truck. Towing our travel trailer with it is a dream. Last year, my wife and I travelled over Monarch Pass here in Colorado 8 times with our travel trailer. At least twice, she was driving. There is no way in hell I will do that again until this part is replaced.

All I want is for RAM to stop being such cheapskates and do what is right.
I am surprised they didn't tell you it is the characteristic of the truck. my 2000 rpm vibration is the characteristic of the truck. it even say it in a work order I have..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts