DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time back I posted a question and was involved in a thread about the dashboard being blank in my 2010 Ram 1500. Can't find that thread now so I'm starting a new one here.

Ok, so the basic problem as stated was that my dash was blank, completely blank. One of the apparent more knowledgeable replies suggested checking a couple of fuses and if they were good, it was time for a new dash panel. I checked the fuses, even removed the dash and looked for burned traces and such to no avail, so I take it to the dealership who installed a new dash for just a little under a thousand bucks, diagnostics and labor included.

28 days later, it goes blank again, under warranty so back to the dealership who kept it in the back for a couple of hours and returned it in working condition reporting that they had found a loose connector.

2 days later I happen to be getting a couple of tires installed on my van at the local "fix anything that comes through the door" shop. While there I eavesdropped on a conversation between one of the mechanics and one of his friends. They were talking about an electrical issue on a BMW that a customer had brought in. The mechanic was explaining to his friend that he already knew what the problem was going to be, "it's always that connector under the flux generator" I don't actually remember where the connector was on the BMW, I don't own a BMW and neither do any of my friends so I really didn't pay attention to his comment but then he went on to say "it's just like those dodge trucks, it's always the connectors under the fuse box under the hood".

A couple of weeks later, visiting my kids 3 hours away, my dash went blank again. The first thing I did was to attempt to pull the fuse box out myself, I'm fairly proficient with a set of wrenches but wasn't having any luck with my swiss army knife. Upon arriving back home I ran it by the local fix it shop and asked that same mechanic if he'd take a look at it. He removed the fusebox, unplugged one of the connectors, coated it with dielectric grease and reinserted it. My dash has not failed again. Oh, and the bill for his repair, $10.00. I paid the $10 ticket to the business that he was working for and gave him a $10 tip.

My advise to everyone, if you have any electrical issue on anything on a Dodge Ram truck, before you take it to a dealer and let them rape your wallet as mine was, pull the plugs out of the bottom of the fuse panel, grease them with dielectric grease and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, the take it to a parts changer.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Good post, thanks for following up with your problem, I'm sure someone down the road will benefit from this :smileup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts