DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first thread, thank you for taking the time to read and help me understand this problem. This is my very first Dodge Truck and I just purchased it two days ago, It is a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. The problem is I have to leave the tilt wheel in the same position at all times, if I move it with the truck on it kills power to the entire truck, engine stops and everything else shuts down. The guy I bought it from said his mechanic stated it was some kind of module in the steering column that has gone bad. However this mechanic has moved on elsewhere and we have no way to get a hold of him. So I am turning to this forum to see if anyone knows what the name of this module is, or if it even exists? My first thought would have been an Ignition wire that is shorting out against the housing in the steering column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Resident Technician
14,202 Posts
remove the column covers and inspect the ignition switch and electrical connector for melting. This is not an unusual problem and pretty easy to fix if you're handy with a soldering iron. Parts are available from your dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Hi RamTech,

Thank you for your help. I spent today fixing the electrical problems with my truck. The main problem I originally posted, ended up being the main red wire coming off of the ignition switch. I then found two more wires for the headlamps that pulled loose out of the multi function switch, and my mini overhead trip computer came unplugged out of the back of the computer. It seems like dodge does not give enough wire length. But thank you again, your help was very much appreciated. Now it is on to the next problem, to diagnose why I keep having a misfire in #6.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts