DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post here, but after browsing through some threads, it seems like this is the place to find the best answer to my questions.

The first thing that happened a couple months ago is that the stereo konked out on me... no clock, nothing. That wasnt a big deal though, so i just let it go.

The problem as it stands now is that I have no functional running lights, front or back. The headlights work properly, and so do the brake lights and turn signals. In addition, (I'm assuming this is related) the gauges do not light up at all either. the low fuel light comes on, and the turn signal blinkers still function properly.

The best way to describe it is when I pull the knob out to turn on all the nighttime lamps....all i get is the headlights. I can still rotate the knob counter-clockwise and get the dome lamp and cargo lights to come on properly, but no dimming or funtionality at all other than that.

Any input will be GREATLY appreciated. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but electrical problems are certainly not my area of expertise.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Your fuse panel should have 2 larger fuses in it. one should be a blue 15 amp fuse. test it, I don't care if the little metal band LOOKS good, pull it and test it for continuity with a multimeter or slave in a known good fuse. This fuse operates both the instrument lights and the tailights, parking lights, side markers. If you have a good fuse in there, go to the back and look for a trailer plug. find where it plugs in and pull the plug, some plug in behind each taillight and some plug in in the center somehow right in front of the bumper. when people put these in, seldom do they worry about the new harness chafing thru and shorting out against some sharp metal part on the body. The interior light and cyclops light and cargo light are independent of the tailight instrument light circuit. Have you an add on stereo reciever or the factory one? If its factory, Sounds like your ground is loose, or corroded, or once again, the fuse is blown. check for continuity across the fuse, the fuse guide should be right there on the fuse board cover on the side of the instrument panel you can see it when the drivers door is open, its a mini fuse. hopefully the lid is still there, cuz the mini fuse extractor is latched to the lid, with the fuse guide. If the stereo is aftermarket, take it out, chances are theres a rigged up wiring mess back there, instead of being done right, and either theres afuse blown, with bad twist and tape connections to boot. Should be an obvious fix. Good luck!! let us all now what you find!!!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
After check fuse change the switch in dash. Gm is great for that problem ive replaced mine in my s 10 with all the same issues. And now a friend of mine has the same problem with his silverodo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lighting problems

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota quad cab and after about 15 minutes of driving, the interior and exterior lights go out with no warning. I have replaced the switch. Can anyone offer a suggestion? This is very frustrating.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
I had a problem with possessed lights on my ex-wife's caravan it wound up being the BCM. The lights would come on and go off at any given time, day or night. Weather someone was in it or not. The '01 Dakota uses a Central Timer Module located behind the driver's kick panel.

It controls the electronics including the lights.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Problem

Hi,

I'm dealing with the same problem with a 2001 durango. I have tried replacing the fuse multiple times, including going form 15mA to 20mA. The replacement does not blow immediately. It will work for about 15 minutes until it goes out again. I cannot isolate any specific switch that is being turned on that would cause a surge that would cause the fuse to blow. This makes the car almost impossible to drive in the evening so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
I'd check the to see if it has a Central Timer Module as the Dakota.

Also If you can hear it clicking you might want to try a circuit breaker instead of a fuse. They cost a couple dollars more but reset them selves after a few seconds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same Problem

Hi,

I'm dealing with the same problem with a 2001 durango. I have tried replacing the fuse multiple times, including going form 15mA to 20mA. The replacement does not blow immediately. It will work for about 15 minutes until it goes out again. I cannot isolate any specific switch that is being turned on that would cause a surge that would cause the fuse to blow. This makes the car almost impossible to drive in the evening so any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hey man, no idea if you will see this but I have a 01 2500 v10 with the same issue, when I first turn on the lights at night my truck will go 15-20 miles then blow the fuse under the hood, then when I replace the fuse it only lasts a mile or so. Did you ever figure out what was wrong with yours?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.