DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I’m new to this forum, and as far as I can tell, my problem is new to this forum too. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L 4x4 with 180,000 km (~112,000 miles). First off, I’ve had a few issues that are potentially relevant to my current issue:

1. 6 months ago, I noticed my RPMs were bouncing around a little bit. I changed the Throttle Position Sensor and cleaned out the throttle body. Everything was fine after that.
2. About 4 years ago, my passenger side hi-beam and my passenger side daytime running quit working. In both cases, the driver side headlight worked. Once the lights are turned on, both driver and passenger sides worked. After searching the forums I decided it is probably my TIPM, which I haven’t spent the $$ on. To make sure I could see in the dark, I added some secondary lighting (not an ideal workaround, but it works for me as I don’t drive the vehicle near urban locations and the secondary lights are not blinding, just adequate).

On to my current issue. A couple weeks ago, a few very strange things started happening, and it seems like too much of a coincidence that they are unrelated. One thing all these issues have in common is that restarting the vehicle and/or pulling the battery cable off the post often makes the problem go away. Anyway, the following has been happening/has happened:

1. My engine was revving very high at idle (3000 rpms) and staying there. This has lasted between 1-20 minutes, and is intermittent.
2. My transmission was having trouble shifting in between all gears. This has lasted between 1-20 minutes, and is intermittent.
3. My battery gauge bottomed out. This goes away immediately after the vehicle is restarted. The first time it happened, I drove for 20 minutes with gauge at zero volts, and nothing happened. I got home, shut the truck off, restarted the truck, and it was back to where it was supposed to be. It was then that I realized that I did not actually have a permanent short. I should also mention that the first time this happened was when I hit a big bump, so it seems like I get a temporary short that drops the voltage to 0, but that it goes away immediately after.
4. My cruise becomes disabled completely. This is also intermittent. Yesterday it was working for about 10 miles, then just quit and would not work anymore at all.
5. The gas pedal seems to stick occasionally on start-up
6. Oil pressure goes to 0 occasionally on start-up, but quickly corrects itself. Also, it was bouncing to zero a few times while driving around yesterday, but always fully recovered. I regularly perform oil changes and the oil level is fine too.
7. Rear driver signal bulb blew in the last few weeks.
8. Occasionally on start-up, there is a ticking and it feels like the truck is missing. This is new, and it doesn’t usually last more than a few minutes.

The only codes that have come up are P0121, P0123, and P0308.

The weird thing is, there is no rhyme or reason for when these issues come up. If I went to go drive my truck today, it would be a coin flip as to whether or not it would run as it was supposed to, or if these issues would be present. I bought new spark plugs and I will change them all out, and I bought a new signal bulb.

It seems to me that these issues are electronic, but I am not sure.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Jarutski

·
Registered
40 Posts
I see this was posted last month, did you figure out your issue? I had an experience with a coworkers 06, It turned out to be his main fuse box under the hood shorting out and causing all your issues plus his 4x4 shifting in and out while driving, no high beams, gauges acting funky!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not much progress. My issues have mostly gone away, except the oil pressure issue. I replaced the power control module and the front control module hoping that my the oil pressure issue would go away. No change. I am guessing now that it is the oil pressure sending unit or something like that. I now have a larger issue though. I had P0300, P0307, and P0308 codes come up and now my truck is missing and banging away like crazy. Not having too much fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts