DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there an Electronic Locker currently available for a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 with the Independent Front Suspension?

DJGS 215MM Front Axle

DS7S Conventional Differential Front Axle

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I'm going to assume that you are asking about front lockers rather than rear ones because your post only mentions front diffs.

For a 2011+ Ram 1500 the only aftermarket diff available is the Auburn LSD that recently came out, and of course the Mopar ones. Neither offer a locker, and those that I mentioned are only for the rear. In fact the only Ram you can get lockers for is the Power Wagon which comes with them (and I suppose you could probably buy those aftermarket for a 2500 gasser from Mopar), all other Rams can only be had with LSDs or open diffs from the factory. That said, I'm sure somebody makes aftermarket lockers for the HDs.

There are no replacement front diffs other than the Mopar ones (at least that I know of), and those are all open. Nobody makes a front locker (or LSD) for them, and to be honest you don't want a front locker for an IFS truck, you'd break shafts.

Personally, my ideal setup would be an LSD rear and locker up front, because day-to-day (i.e. non-off-road conditions) an LSD is much more useful, but you would only engage the front when a situation calls for 4wd already anyway. That said I'd never want that setup in an IFS truck, only one with a live axle up there.

The turn off for lockers for me (at least factory ones) is that they can only be used at 5MPH or less and in 4 low, so I can't really think of a situation that I'd ever use them. Unless I was in really deep mud or something, but I've been up to the top of the front bumper in mud and the LSD rear and 4 lock pulled me right out-which is also why I don't really see a need for a locker personally.

I'm sure those factory ones I've mentioned can be overridden to work at higher speeds and in 4 high or even 2wd (In fact I'm pretty sure I've read that the Power Wagon ones can), but again, I've never felt the need for one. The Chevy auto E-locker is pretty cool, but I've also heard they are pretty weak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, as for a front locker goes for an independent front suspension, I really don't need one for heavy-duty usage, but I would like to be able to lock the front so that I could climb a snow-covered hill without the ESC having to brake a slipping wheel to force the wheel with traction to turn. Seems counter productive, the braking that is, it would have to rob some momentum! The idea is to never slip in the first place! I do have the anti-spin rear diff. Truck would be unstoppable with the right tires and a selectable front locker

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Look at the comparability from a jeep grand Cherokee overlander and a Ram 1500. I beleive you can install the lockers. If not check Eaton as they will have one avaiable.

Personally I would want to drive a locked axle at high speed as you will have limited control, also a little grip and somthing will break.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Okay, as for a front locker goes for an independent front suspension, I really don't need one for heavy-duty usage, but I would like to be able to lock the front so that I could climb a snow-covered hill without the ESC having to brake a slipping wheel to force the wheel with traction to turn. Seems counter productive, the braking that is, it would have to rob some momentum! The idea is to never slip in the first place! I do have the anti-spin rear diff. Truck would be unstoppable with the right tires and a selectable front locker
TIRES.... That is what you really need. Fitting a front locker to an IFS truck, as mentioned, will likely end badly. The reason you are getting into the stability control is a lack of tire grip.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Tires are a pretty big part of it; a 2wd truck with an LSD and a good set of all terrains will get you farther than a 4wd with open diffs and crappy stock highway tires. I have 4x4 and LSD and have never wanted for anything more than my open front diff

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'd be more concerned with your premium tcase keeping the front driveline engaged.........that alone might render a front locker useless(if one was available......)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Locking up the front diff is dangerous on off camber snow covered hills.
It greatly increases the chance of sliding off the road when the tires break traction.
A sliding tire is a uncontrolled tire in a situation like that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Locking up the front diff is dangerous on off camber snow covered hills.
It greatly increases the chance of sliding off the road when the tires break traction.
A sliding tire is a uncontrolled tire in a situation like that.
I wheeled the heck out of an IFS rig with a front locker and if you know what you are doing, it's not dangerous. Yes, there are some concerns and skills to be acquired but there is nothing like having "real" 4wd.............you would be amazed where you can actually go and trails you can concur.

Airing your tires down is HUGE!!! Don't underestimate how much traction that alone will provide.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Is there an Electronic Locker currently available for a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 with the Independent Front Suspension?

DJGS 215MM Front Axle

DS7S Conventional Differential Front Axle
Call Randy's Ring And Pinion.. if any one knows of a select-able or full time locker that is available, these guys would.

1-866-631-0196

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wheeled the heck out of an IFS rig with a front locker and if you know what you are doing, it's not dangerous. Yes, there are some concerns and skills to be acquired but there is nothing like having "real" 4wd.............you would be amazed where you can actually go and trails you can concur.

Airing your tires down is HUGE!!! Don't underestimate how much traction that alone will provide.
He said Snow covered Hill.. Dirt and mud is fine.
I'm a big fan of lockable axles but there is a time and place for them. Locking the front up on Snow isn't always the best idea. That is all I was saying.
If you want lockable IFS, Do it, what do I care.

·
Registered
235 Posts
He said Snow covered Hill.. Dirt and mud is fine.
I'm a big fan of lockable axles but there is a time and place for them. Locking the front up on Snow isn't always the best idea. That is all I was saying.
If you want lockable IFS, Do it, what do I care.
I don't disagree, like I said, there are some concerns and skills needed but that would hold true whether IFS or solid axle.

Definitely a time and place for lockers, wheeling locked up F/R all the time actually kinda sucks, unless you're bogg'n or rock hopp'n.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't disagree, like I said, there are some concerns and skills needed but that would hold true whether IFS or solid axle.

Definitely a time and place for lockers, wheeling locked up F/R all the time actually kinda sucks, unless you're bogg'n or rock hopp'n.
That is the beauty of America, you can disagree all you want.
It is also your opinion. Right or wrong.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
To throw my 2 cents out on this axle locker cost versus real trail need.I just recently return from a trip out West and part of the trip was a stop over in Moab for a 1/2 day instruction on winching and 4 wheeling in parts of the Moab park area's.We climbed vertical rock with great ease as tires were air down,with onboard electric air comp.My truck has been heavily modified.The interesting part of the instruction at the base of the start of the rock climbing with the nose of the truck pointed to the sky,was that the instructor disabled my Trac control and told me to leave the 4wd in Auto mode the whole time we were in the park. Wireless headset were included as I reached for the sky the instructor inform me I was now on just 2 wheels pushing ever so slowly up the rock face,and then gently down on the 3 wheel then the all 4's,after that he told me that the 2 tires that were in the air just stop spinning and all the traction was being directed to the 2 remaining tires,he stated like the brakes just stop both wheels from spinning after a few seconds of being in the air. After a 1/2 day of trail riding we proceed back to his office in Moab to have lunch.He owns a fleet of Jeeps, that he uses for his trail rides as well as rents a few out to those who can demonstrate their abilities on rock.He said to me that the Ram 1500 behaves very closely to the Jeeps off-road programing.So do I really need the locker system or is this just some old school 4wd methodology ? I concur with Dadsgotahemi,The truck perform flawlessly on the rock.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Lockers are fitted so that you only need one wheel with substantial traction to move the vehicle. The other way to maintain traction is through large amounts of suspension travel or articulation to keep the tires in contact with the road. Flat and steep is pretty easy. There are plenty of places in Moab where you are not going without lockers, just depends on where you want to go. See if you can climb the Z turn on the Moab Rim trail without lockers or extreme suspension mods, bet you can't.

Bottom line is, you will go more places with lockers off road, than not. The problem comes when you ad them to a driveline not designed for the stresses lockers put on it. There is a reason the Rubicon comes with heavier axles than a standard Jeep, same for the Power Wagon, because using lockers puts a ton more stress on components. You could fit them to a 1500 but you had better be careful when you use them.

I completely agree with the idea that using a front locker on a steep snowy hill is probably a bad idea. Way too easy to spin and then you are off-roading whether you planned to or not. There is a time and place for them, rock crawling YES, very helpful, on the street under 99% of conditions, NO, bad plan for you and the truck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also concur on the trail rides in Moab,my instructor from Moab took us on trials that were rated at first easy then we finished the day with 4 trails that were rated moderate.I never look at what area we were on because he knew the park so well.But the climbs were not by no means easy for you really had to have control of the truck while climbing my hill assist was a great asset for if I left the pedal for a moment it would hold the truck in that position until I applied throttle,kinda strange not to hold the brake with my foot,in a way this allowed me to concentrate on using my remote winch control with my right hand while steering with my left.But the truck push up the grade on 2 wheels with no problem,balance of the truck with the tire carrier located in the bed I think help with the center of gravity in a way.The rear axle spring was completely extended on the right rear as well as the right front lower a arm.The moderate climbs were a bit of challenge for you could not see over the hood of the truck any more and had to rely on the headset for communication, with the instructor outside.And at one point I felt maybe the truck would have slided off trail path on it's side,but the trucks two good track points just kept pushing the truck forward until it came down on all fours,but mind you very gently,and in control.I guess after this class I felt that you can climb and off road it is just a matter of patience,and understanding your line of attack up any grade of rock,as a previous Jeep owner I have come to learn this,and being in 4wd Jeep clubs helps a whole lot,for you learn from the master's at Moab,I grew up about 200 miles away from this system of parks,but had never took a truck their.In some ways also a locker well do I need custom axles to enjoy the park,and I a thrill seeker,in no ways no I have seen Jeeps tumble,and trucks as well,even with lockers as well,for if not in control of your locker you can literally drive you truck or jeep right over either on your side or your top.So I guess lockers have their place,but just realize you have power to all 4 wheels while climbing,and even when you drop to 3 or yet 2 wheels slipping the power via the ECM to those remaining wheels while applying throttle,is it a bad thing.But I still had a great time,and it is always fun to go to Moab,I plan to go in the spring or winter when the trail are not so congested,on some trail's we had to wait our turn,adding to the suspense.As far as the Z trail well I just not that bit of a thrill seeker,and also do not what to tear up a good truck for the sake of a You-tube thrill.Just some fun outdoors and enjoy the site's of a beautiful park.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just to put it out there, my IFS rig was an '04 Tacoma Double Cab that was heavily modified............and I ALWAYS carried a spare cv axle(cost less than a $100 with lifetime warrenty) and I could swap out a broken cv on the trail in 30 minutes (got lots of practice between my rig and others in our club). Funny thing was the drivers side never broke, had the original one on it the day I sold it with 99k on the odometer.

I ran a Lock-Rite up front but I did a twin stick conversion on my tcase so I could use 4lo and disengage the front end, helped relieve a bit of stress on the front end, sold the truck before I destroyed it, wanted to SAS it but the CFO did not approve ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts