DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Electronic Power Steering issue

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Troy2013 
#1 ·
Hi All, I recently drove through some creeks and subsequently got water in my steering box where the electronic motherboard is. Steering locked up. I need to replace it but can't seem to locate the board. They want you to buy the whole steering part complete. Has anyone had this issue? I am not sure how water got inside. I drove into water that came up to my upper door. Water also went inside the cab flooring and not sure how that entered either. I thought it should be water tight as should the steering. I would appreciate any help and advice and also where I can find the part I need. Thanks

#2 ·
I have submerged my EPS rack and have not had any issues, however if it is bad the entire rack needs replaced. I know of nobody who sells the components and IDK if it is actually serviceable.

I can't remember any vehicle being water tight at the doors. My 3rd grade teacher opened the door of her Excursion when it flooded at school one time and a bunch of water and leaves came rushing out.

#3 ·
I think the water came in the EPS through the boot but cant be sure. I am afraid you are right and I will have to buy the complete component unless my friend back home is able to find a used one selling just the component.
As far as the water tight cab, it just seems that other vehicles are able to ford creeks and yet they dont get a bunch of water inside.

#4 ·
I have never had any of my vehicles leak as long as you are moving a couple MPH but as soon as you stop that is when the water is going to find a place to come in the cab.

#7 ·
I always just upload to Youtube and copy/paste the link. The video embeds automatically.

#10 ·
Hello Sonnyodle,
Your sentiments expressed here are completely understandable. I do apologize for the frustration associated with your situation. To clarify, have you been to your dealer for this concern in the past two weeks? We’d be happy to learn additional details of your situation to determine how to best assist at this point. Please follow up with us via private message at your earliest convenience.
Laura
RamCares

#11 ·
My EPS went out on me awhile back, caused all kinds of electrical issues. Truck would start but I couldnt shut it off, wipers would just turn themselves on. Called the dealership for a new EPS rack, they said that is unheard off couldnt be, but would sell me a new rack for 3200 dollars!! Found a used rack for 600, no problems since. Maybe they say they've never heard of it there because who in there right mind would buy it for 3200 when I can get a used one for 600?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.