DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Strange thing happened Saturday while turning through an intersection. Truck seemed to die or lose power when I noticed the ETC warning light come on. I lifted off the accelerator, only to find in a second or two I had power again.

It's been two days, and a hundred miles or so with no sign of this again. Anyone had experience with their truck dying or losing power like this, and getting this red ETC bolt symbol pop up?

10k miles on this truck, and previous 10k have been flawless until this little electronic gremlin surfaced. :4-dontknow:

Attachments

·
Addicted to the Z
15,440 Posts
Well you got the "electronic gremlin" part spot on. :str: I'm no expert on this particular system however I do alot of control related coding. The pedal you are pressing to go is not physically connected to the throttle. There is a computer and software in between. I expect the power loss was the systems fail-safe response to a loss of signal from the pedal (your input). Displaying the fault on the dash is the systems way of telling you that something is not quite right. I would definitely have the pedal actuator checked by the dealer since you still have warranty. Without running some diagnostics there is no way to tell if it was a glitch or if there is actually some hardware fault somewhere. :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you got the "electronic gremlin" part spot on. :str: I'm no expert on this particular system however I do alot of control related coding. The pedal you are pressing to go is not physically connected to the throttle. There is a computer and software in between. I expect the power loss was the systems fail-safe response to a loss of signal from the pedal (your input). Displaying the fault on the dash is the systems way of telling you that something is not quite right. I would definitely have the pedal actuator checked by the dealer since you still have warranty. Without running some diagnostics there is no way to tell if it was a glitch or if there is actually some hardware fault somewhere. :4-dontknow:
RansRam: Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking the same thing the more and more I read about this little quirk. Everything from a wire harness problem, to a PCM problem. More times than not the underlying theme is one bad wire giving a false read or a sensor cause this to occur.

I feel a little more empowered knowing I might have been in "limp mode" when this occurred, but man it's scary when it happens. WTF was the first thing that came out of my mouth but luckily when I looked down I did see this warning light that helped start this process. Course...I have a bunch of Chevy guys in my truck heading to a football game when this happens right? Luckily we weren't stranded on the side of the road I would have never heard the end of it. :i_rolleyes:

I'd like to get it to my dealer for diagnosis, but I can't be without a vehicle this week. Never fails right? Thanks again for the input.... :smileup:

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
The good thing is there are only a few things it could really be. Electronic throttle control actually really simplified things. Inside the TB there are 3(IIRC) TPS sensors, for redundancy, and a small electric motor that moves the throttle blade.

I'd check connections at TB and pedal, and get the dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had this happen for about 1.5 sec as I made a low speed right angle turn at an intersection. Happened about 10 days ago. Drove about 900 mi since then with no issues. Sometimes I wish we were back in 1998.... or even 1968 when it was easy to figure out and repair my car on my own, and you didn't need the "special computer"

·
Registered
45 Posts
2011 ram electrical problem

I have had my truck into the shop 4 times to try to figure out why this is happening, the third time they replaced the brake peddle sensor and they were guessing then.
I took my truck into the shop this AM at 9 and am waiting for a call to see if they have a solution, at least I have a loner from them.

It is very scary when it happens and you lose power in the middle of a busy intersection, it always happens to me always when make a ninety degree left hand turn never a right turn. interested in what others have to say about this issue also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is happening to me right now! Started about three months ago - loss of responsiveness in the pedal and the flashing lightning bolt!! Took it to the shop and spent about $450 on a new gas pedal. Worked for a week - now I'm having the same issue up to 5 times a day! Turn off the truck and start - and it's fine again. Dealership had no clue what was causing it! Pretty frustrating!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
ETC problems 2012 Bighorn Hemi crew cab!

I have this same problem, it has happened about 10 times now, 6,000 miles and three trips to the dealer and the last time to the dealer They had it for a week and a half. Dealer has not done any work on it they are only trying to duplicate problem I even ask them to let a tech drive home and around town still no luck, they stated they had opened something with Chrysler to see if they have any reports. The dealer also told me that they could not dig into the physically without Chrysler's approval without voiding my warranty, now I know they are not planning on doing anything for me. This is my first Chrysler product and will be my last unless they at least try to fix this.
I have about 20 years of experience with drive-ability Problems and know i could probably fix this in one day or less, but since I am retired now and the truck is under warranty I should not have too. It only happens while on a rough section of road or while turning left, We have a intersection at a railroad crossing and this is where it happens most. That only leaves a couple things it could be either a shorted wire, loose connection, loose ground or maybe even a bad ECM, I remember back in the late 80's GM had a lot of bad boards in their ECM's, you could tap on the side of it and it would either die or sputter.
I am now retired, disabled and don't have the equipment anymore.
When the weather gets better I will get out and check the wires and connections.:4-dontknow::LOL:
Anyone figure this out please let me know and if i find it I will post the fix on here.

BTW I checked all the fuses under the hood and found all the larger ones not plugged in good each one popped into place when I pushed on them, I thought that was it till it did it again yesterday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had that pesky light come on too. The shop flashed the PCM to the most current version and it still was happening. Long story short, it was the temp sensor shorted out. They replaced that and it's been fine since.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Throw me into the boat please... It scared the Heck out of me at highway speed to have it suddenly stumble and lose get up and go. Flashing lights on the EVIC and then that stupid picture of an engine and tranny is lit up now. 2nd time same error first time shop updated PCM and TCM guess that didnt work since it has only been 5 days.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok so I am still having the ETC Failure issue and the most recent one returned an OBD2 Code of P1DD2 I cannot find this one does anyone know what it is?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having the same issue....engine light came on last week and I did a scan and got trouble code P0344. I cleared the code and the truck has been running fine. This morning I start it up and pull out of the driveway...engine light comes on, anti-skid light comes on, and truck will not shift properly. I turned key off, then started again and took the truck to Autozone and have them scan it...showed trouble codes:
P0344
U1424
P1DD2

I have found that P0344 is described as "Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1"
I have found that U1424 is described as "Implausible Engine Torque" received
But I have found nothing on P1DD2...guy at Autozone said it is a "dealer code" and he does not know what it is.

Can anyone provide additional information on each of the above codes and what they actually mean? I've researched them all online, but find little to no actual explanations of what the issue is...only what the code means.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone found an answer?
I'm dealing with this now. Just replaced the TB and did a hard reset on the computer and it did it instantly. Sending my truck to the stealership tomorrow. Sucks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
After taking my truck into a Dodge dealership last Friday...I was told that it was simply an update that was needed on the ECM...so they flashed it and sent me on my way. All good until later that day...then the engine light came on again. A quick scan showed the same trouble codes that I reported in my prior post. So.....back to the dealership Saturday morning. To make a long story short.. they are now telling me that it is an electrical issue in the Camshaft Sensor Position wiring system...but they would need me to leave the truck with them for a few days so they could take time to try and find the gremlin. In the meantime I was told it was OK to drive...and should only be concerned if the engine light starts flashing. I plan on trying to get it back into the shop soon, and will provide an update when it hopefully gets fixed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I stumbled upon a possible culprit, Since I received the first issue, I noticed it takes forever for the temperature gauge to climb from the cold peg. For the past week, I have been starting my car remotely and letting it warm up a bit 2-5 min and have not had the issue. Seems that the two things are linked in some odd way?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I stumbled upon a possible culprit, Since I received the first issue, I noticed it takes forever for the temperature gauge to climb from the cold peg. For the past week, I have been starting my car remotely and letting it warm up a bit 2-5 min and have not had the issue. Seems that the two things are linked in some odd way?
Very interesting...I was was wondering the same thing myself this morning. I noticed that the engine light and the traction control light both come on when the engine is cold. Once the engine warms, I can restart the engine and the traction light will go off and not come back on. As well, when I restart the truck, the engine light typically does not come back on.

Definitely seems like a coincidence....

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK....follow up.....before leaving this morning, I remote started my truck and let it warm up for 5 minutes before leaving....NO ETC LIGHT AND NO TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT CAME ON after I drove the vehicle!

As stated previously, it occurred to me just a couple of days ago that both the ETC and TC lights came on almost exclusively when the truck was "cold", and after driving the truck for a while, and then stopping/re-starting...the light would go off and would not come back on.

So...there may be something to the Temp Sensor control issue that a prior member had posted about. Going to try and take the truck into the dealership in a few days and see what they say about it. Will continue to post findings here....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for updates!
Mine didn't have the traction control light come on. Just the ETC and CEL would come on after. Mine (ETC light) would just kick on instantly after it was warmed up and it would lose power and shut down.
After I changed my throttle body and put in a new air cleaner, I did a hard reset and it started up great. I let it sit in the driveway for 20-25 minutes before going for a test drive, and the ETC kicked on and the tuck died 2 houses down.
It is still at the dealership. Supposed to be Monday when they will let me know what is wrong.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts