DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wonder if any has eliminated the y pipe and just ran duals back by adding a second cat and muffler? If so how much of pain in the ass if at all and if it can't be done

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The catalytic converters are on the down pipes so they are before the y pipe. It would be better to replace the stock restrictive y pipe with a free flowing aftermarket one. A good y pipe setup will outperform a dual setup (unless you run with a x or h crossover pipe).

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It could be done, but probably more of a pain in the a$$ for what you would gain performance wise,if any.I'd just replace the stock Y with a better flowing one,then the muffler with one that's less restrictive.....:smileup::smileup:..Rob

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Removing my Y 3" setup tomorrow and installing dual 3" piping off the headers to the muffler which has a internal X, then dumped after the axle. No cats and will still use the non foulers for the rear o2's.

·
Registered
209 Posts
going to duals really isnt that big of a deal. X pipe instead of the Y.
Either two mufflers or one that is dual in/out. Then either dump it or dual pipes out.
If your truck alread has the duals out of the muffler then its even easier.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I went to my muffler shop yesterday to have him look at my y pipe, he suggested just cutting out the y pipe and going through a dual in/dual out muffler. He says that I will be way happier with that. I trust what he says as he has done exhaust on several vehicles for me and friends and theyve always been happy. He also will not sell or install anything that he wouldnt put on his own vehicles, like flowmaster. Lol. My question is that I already have a magnaflow 14" single in/dual out and it's not loud enough for me. I like to be that obnoxious guy on the road, lol. Which will be louder; a y-pipe change or going dual in/dual out? I do have CAI and a DSP and fastman 80mm throttle body and plan on getting long tubes when the price comes down a little. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
The price of headers coming down ! I don't see that happening . As long as you have people who'll spend that much their gonna keep the price up there . I have a friend who builds serious all out race cars and they don't charge that much for a set of custom made headers .

·
Registered
273 Posts
What they need is competition. Once someone else besides ARH makes a set of long tubes, the price will come down.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I eliminated by going dual in/single out muffler...(basically flippin the muffler around from what 99 percent of everyone does)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts