DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I figured all things best since I care that I would properly give a list of items you should have in your vehicle in the event of a emergency of sort.

This is how it is split up; Basically in a list form with some subtitles with explanations for why you should have this item or what use of it etc...

Expect to spend around 100-250 bucks for all the items if you don't have any. Of course this is just a estimate so give or take maybe 50 bucks idk...

The list and roll...

1. First-Aid Kit
2. Heavy Gauge Jumper Cables - Long ones are recommended
3. Paper Atlas a.k.a Map
{Sometimes GPS could fail} :LOL:
4. Hydraulic Jack
5. Tire Iron
6. Duct Tape
{Sometimes a hose might fail and you can use some tape to help you limp to a place for repair}
7. Electrical Tape
8. WD-40
9. Road Flares
10. Dry Chemical Fire Extinguisher
11. 12V Portable Tire Air Compressor
12. Tire Pressure Gauge
13. Extra Fuses - Check if your vehicle uses Maxi-Fuses
14. Extra Light Blubs - Brakes, Instrumentation, Directional Signal, etc...
15. Emergency Cash and/or Credit Card - Prefer cash as accepted everywhere
16. Flash light and extra Batteries and Blub - Prefer Maglite 2D
17. Terry Cloth
{Helpful to clean up after yourself}
18. Bottle of Brake Fluid - Prefer Valvoline
{In case fluid loss}
19. Bottle of Motor Oil - Prefer Valvoline
{In case fluid loss}
20. Bottle of Power Steer Fluid - Prefer Valvoline
{In case fluid loss}
21. Bottle of Transmission Fluid - Prefer Valvoline
{In case fluid loss}
22. Assorted Welsh Clamps
{In case one snaps but could be used with a terry cloth and duct tape to slow down a radiator hose leak}
23. Go-Jo Hand Wipes
{Clean grease off etc...}
24. Socket Wrench Set - Check if you need SAE or Metric or Both
25. Phillips Head Screw Driver
26. Blade Type Screw Driver
27. Utility Knife
28. Bottled Water
29. Bottle of Hydraulic Jack Oil
{In case jack leaked or is dry etc...}

NOTE ~ 24-27 You could buy a all-in-one tool set for fairly cheap

Specialty Items:
30. Extra Headlight Light Bulbs
{Might be a good idea not only cause you may loose 50% of your ability to see at night but you may also get a ticket from a police officer}
31. Emergency communication device - i.e ~ Prepaid Cell Phone, Prepaid Satellite Phone, CB, etc...
{Be sure to bring travel chargers for the communications devices}
32. A power inverter - 200-400 Watt should do fine.

With all these items you should be set for possibly any emergency you may have! The specialty items seem crazy but better safe than sorry!

TIPS:

# Be sure that you check your spare tire(s) periodically I would say every 3-6 months to make sure it isn't getting dry rot also be sure to check the spare tire(s) pressure and add if needed.
# Check your Hydraulic Jacks operation to make sure it works well and check the Jacks oil level and add if needed.
# Check the expiration date on any items that may expire such as medications, water bottles, batteries, credit cards, etc... Replace if expired!
# Be sure to check the operation of your flash light and replace the batteries if needed. I recommend you check your flash light operation every month and be sure to remove the batteries and check them for any corrosion or leaks, sometimes batteries will leak thus enlarging and will get stuck in the flash light battery tube.
# Whenever you work on anything electrical in the vehicle be sure to disconnect the negative (Black) cable from the battery.
# Whenever using Jumper Cables be sure you connect the negative (Black) Terminals first.
# Be sure to replenish any missing or damaged items right away!
# Replace windshield wiper blades every 6 months.
# Check your vehicles fluids regularly - Every weekend is good!

With all this that has been said I hope you do what is smart and at the least choose to get the items that feel as most important to you. I also recommend seriously that you fallow the tips I have made to keep you safe and healthy along with your vehicle :)

Well drive safely wipers on lights on!

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Good info, I'd need to set up a tool box in back to keep it all in. I keep the basics in the truck under the seat. Don't forget things like a blanket for those emergencies in winter.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, I'd need to set up a tool box in back to keep it all in. I keep the basics in the truck under the seat. Don't forget things like a blanket for those emergencies in winter.
Well I keep forgetting I have a van so I can fit a refrigerator in the back LOL. But anyways you can always keep the stuff in a duffel bag behind the seat against the back wall... I forgot about a blanket mainly because I live in Florida although I am from New Jersey and lived there for like 13 years. Anyways good point about the blanket, but I got all the items to help you fix simples problems with the car and covered emergencies were you might be stranded in the middle of no mans land. Thank you for bringing it up cause I didn't even think of that and I thought pretty hard to come up with all these items.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they actually come in handy in the winter time when you see someone (or yourself) slide into a ditch.. may save a tow truck fee for someone
Good point, but again I made a basic list. There are ways to avoid ending up in the ditch like driving slow and steady (usually wins the race). But you do too bring up good points and ideas.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
I have what i need & a lot more
remember in your FIRST AID KITS, there are no gloves

If your flares are the kind that you strike against a striker to ignite them, put the end cap back on it, it has a TAB that doesn't allow it to roll, it stays where you put it
Here in the wooded areas up the hill it is ILLEGAL to use a flame type Flare, you MUST use GLOW STICKS, they come in several different glow times & in several colors
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First aid glove materials
Gloves are commonly made of latex, but some people have an allergic reaction to this or find latex otherwise uncomfortable.
Other non-allergenic materials used to make gloves are:

vinyl, a synthetic compound that can be made as pliable as latex
nitrile, closely related to rubber, but without some of the allergenic properties of latex
guayule, a pliable rubber produced by Ulex, Inc. a Pennsylvania company. The plant that is used to produce this is genetically modified.
Gloves of any material may react if they come into contact with certain chemical agents such as paint thinner.

Be sure to keep a fresh pair of vinyl, latex or nitrile gloves in your first aid kits. Never use used gloves in a first aid situation. After any first aid treatment, dispose of your latex, nitrile or vinyl gloves properly.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,720 Posts
Good list and looks like someone already added what I would have with the tow straps, but great post man!

- Cajun

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am a firefighter, so my kit is more geared to roadside emergencies than mechanical issues. (new truck=roadside assistance)

BIG first aid kit and extra nitrile gloves and CPR mask
10 lb ABC fire extinguisher
Flashlights- Streamlight Survivor and another with a cone attachment for directing traffic.
Traffic vest
Tool for breaking glass and cutting seat belts
Pair of cut proof gloves
2 blankets
Hatchet
Long tow rope.

Fortunately the Ram has lots of storage areas.

Jeff

·
Registered
296 Posts
My advice for flashlight would be an LED light. they are much brighter and often come with SOS modes and strobe/beacon modes.

·
Premium Member
15,440 Posts
That is an excellent list for when your on the open road in the middle of nowhere, thanks for posting it. I think we need a short list for us DD's who use our RAMs on short trips in the city, that entire package would add quite a bit of weight :Wow1: .

I do have the basics like first aid kit, emerg road kit with flares, Small socket set with standard screwdriver bits, Recovery strap, tow rope, small fire extinquiser, swiss amry knife, goo gone and quick detailer wax (for those dam birds :LOL:), set of assorted fuses, my tomtom GPS. I'm sure there are a few things I've missed mentioning but this all fits in my glove boxes, centre console and rear seat storage area. :smileup:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have what i need & a lot more
remember in your FIRST AID KITS, there are no gloves

If your flares are the kind that you strike against a striker to ignite them, put the end cap back on it, it has a TAB that doesn't allow it to roll, it stays where you put it
Here in the wooded areas up the hill it is ILLEGAL to use a flame type Flare, you MUST use GLOW STICKS, they come in several different glow times & in several colors
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First aid glove materials
Gloves are commonly made of latex, but some people have an allergic reaction to this or find latex otherwise uncomfortable.
Other non-allergenic materials used to make gloves are:

vinyl, a synthetic compound that can be made as pliable as latex
nitrile, closely related to rubber, but without some of the allergenic properties of latex
guayule, a pliable rubber produced by Ulex, Inc. a Pennsylvania company. The plant that is used to produce this is genetically modified.
Gloves of any material may react if they come into contact with certain chemical agents such as paint thinner.

Be sure to keep a fresh pair of vinyl, latex or nitrile gloves in your first aid kits. Never use used gloves in a first aid situation. After any first aid treatment, dispose of your latex, nitrile or vinyl gloves properly.
Well you bring up a very good point about the flares which I didn't even know about again hard for me to know all the laws of all the states but If I need some flares I don't care if I get fined as long as I don't get ran over hehe... Well, I didn't forget about gloves I just didn't put them In there cause some first aid kits I have seen actually did include vinyl gloves, but I didn't see to much a point in saying anything about gloves... To be honest I am just like a boy, just don't touch the cut area and the sterile pad and safe lol...

But thank you very much for adding to this, this really helps to get a little more detailed. I didn't personally want to go to crazy with details and actually was hoping for some people to add to it cause again some thing may be more important to others than what I believe is important, like the tow straps.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is an excellent list for when your on the open road in the middle of nowhere, thanks for posting it. I think we need a short list for us DD's who use our RAMs on short trips in the city, that entire package would add quite a bit of weight :Wow1: .

I do have the basics like first aid kit, emerg road kit with flares, Small socket set with standard screwdriver bits, Recovery strap, tow rope, small fire extinquiser, swiss amry knife, goo gone and quick detailer wax (for those dam birds :LOL:), set of assorted fuses, my tomtom GPS. I'm sure there are a few things I've missed mentioning but this all fits in my glove boxes, centre console and rear seat storage area. :smileup:
You have excellent items the bare basics. I was sort of laughing when I saw detailer wax as an emergency but don't worry I keep a rag and armorol for footprints on the runners and handprints on the dash and I will be putting carpet shampoo for those emergencies...

I do say though to be sure to get a small map atlas cause GPS might not work you never know. I am going to be installing a indash Nav system eventually cause I like to travel, but I will still have a trusty ol' map.

Make sure though you have a flash light with extra bulbs and batteries. Again I like maglite they work very well and last pretty long time. Well be sure to check your flash light's operation like said and to check the condition of the battery every month cause the batteries may enlarge and get stuck in the tube.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My advice for flashlight would be an LED light. they are much brighter and often come with SOS modes and strobe/beacon modes.
Maglite makes a couple LED models. All maglites switches allow you to do a SOS signal. I am just going to cover a basic flash light cause some of the good LED flash lights can cost like 50 bucks for a good brand. A maglite 2D you can get for like 15 bucks and some come with batteries. I have a maglite 6D with Xenon bulbs and it gets like 50,000 Candle Power and 300 Lumens. All my mags actually have Xenon lol... But anyways flash light is very important especially if you have to go under the truck. I am in florida and in bright sunshine I need a flash light, cause Under the truck it is so dark...

But either way LED or Gas Bulb make sure to check batteries and operation cause just like my luck when I need it, it don't work :LOL:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am a firefighter, so my kit is more geared to roadside emergencies than mechanical issues. (new truck=roadside assistance)

BIG first aid kit and extra nitrile gloves and CPR mask
10 lb ABC fire extinguisher
Flashlights- Streamlight Survivor and another with a cone attachment for directing traffic.
Traffic vest
Tool for breaking glass and cutting seat belts
Pair of cut proof gloves
2 blankets
Hatchet
Long tow rope.

Fortunately the Ram has lots of storage areas.

Jeff
Very good list, I would use the phillips head screw driver and a heavy item to break the window (if in water)... Cut seat belts a utility knife usually work but those seal belt cutters are amazing I have seen them very simple.

THE TRAFFIC VEST, very good input I was thinking of adding it to the list but I personally didn't see a need for it, however the vest would only help oncoming drivers notice you and not run you over... Seems like tow rope is a big thing so thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No negative, cause you black negative is your chassis ground and it's best to have both vehicles chassis grounded first.
That's not the way I was taught but that was 45-50 years or so ago so maybe something has changed since then. One of our hired men showed me the correct way after I blew up a battery doing it wrong. BTW, eye protection is a really good idea when working around batteries as is removing any watches and rings. Clothes can be replaced but not eyeballs. It was really loud, too:Wow1:

One of many references (and the way I've been doing it since my learning experience): http://www.carbuyingtips.com/jumpstart.htm

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's not the way I was taught but that was 45-50 years or so ago so maybe something has changed since then. One of our hired men showed me the correct way after I blew up a battery doing it wrong. BTW, eye protection is a really good idea when working around batteries as is removing any watches and rings. Clothes can be replaced but not eyeballs. It was really loud, too:Wow1:

One of many references (and the way I've been doing it since my learning experience): http://www.carbuyingtips.com/jumpstart.htm

Well the real reason they say positive first is because of current flow, current goes from negative to positive in real life but the standard is from plus to minus. I have a few books on electrical engineering as that is actually what I am going to be studying in college however it is all beside the point. I also believe to have ground first, especially now days with cars having solid state electronics which can be easily damaged.

But car electronics can be replaced and body parts cannot you are correct on that 100%. It's not only eye balls but the sulfuric acid burns the skin very bad. I have seen chemical burns from sulfuric acid and it is not pretty to look at. But either way someone decides to do anything it's all a risk. What I think would be the best is those portable car battery chargers there like 100 bucks. Those things are cool and they have a built in inverter.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.