DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2011 RAM 2500 but it did not come with an engine block heater cord so I purchased one. Anyone know how to install it? It seems that it should just plug into a receptacle somewhere on the engine...just can't seem to find out where!

·
Registered
3 Posts
did your engine come with a blcok heater installed in it? it could have been an option. if it doesnt have the acuall block heater there will be nowhere to plug your cord into. you will need to install a block heater

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
^^This is important to know. If it came with the winter driving package, then the block heater cord should be under the hood near the front of the bay. I'm not sure of the exact location of the 6.7L's position on the '11s, but my dad's '08 has his right between the passenger-side accessory battery and the grille support pillar.

Also, welcome to the Z, take the time to look around, and introduce yourself in our Newbie Section to get the official welcome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found the engine block heater outlet...finally

I feel a bit foolish...I was looking for the cord outlet on the driver's side and could never find it. I logged on to justanswer and a dodge mechanic sent me a diagram showing that the engine block heater is on the passenger side of the engine. I found the block heater and cord...that cost me an additional $23 for the help...not to mention the cost of a heater cord. In my defense, it was tucked way up under the grill...Newbie here and a newbie truck owner...live and learn! Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Is it just me or is this cord really, really short? I just bought my truck a few days ago so I went looking for the block heater plug and I found it quickly thanks to this thread, but the cord seems really short. Are you meant to leave it under the hood? Are you supposed to open your hood every time you want to plug in your truck?

·
Registered
78 Posts
The heater part is acutally already installed on the vehicle. To the left of the oil filter on the passenger side there is a black cap, unscrew the cap and you'll see the two prongs inside. Line up your cord to the prongs and screw the ring down. The cord should have plastic push pins attached to it. Along the frame rail (Inside towards the motor) you'll see the holes that these pins go into. The pins all line up. Then route the cord between the raditor and frame and above the tow hook. You'll see more holes for the rest of the push pins. I reached through the wheel well and undid the plastic cap and screwed in the cord and got under the truck to install the cord. Took no more then 30 minutes if that to do the job. The cord can be had for about 30.00 off ebay or Geno's Garage. I got mine off eBay and it came within a few days. It was OEM Chrysler not made in someones basement. Works great. When tucked up inside the bumper you don't even know it's there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you want to sell the extra cord? I just bought my truck and it has a heater but no cord. Let me know. Thanks. Roger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts