DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when going at higher speeds (55+) my engine, i noticed yesterday, would do a little hiccup thing. to me, it feels like a fuel delivery issue. either a clogging fuel filter, or dying fuel pump. with 214k miles on the clock, i have no idea whats been replaced..anyway, thats my thinking. its not a surge, or jump..it feels like a momentary dead spot, as if its not getting fuel...thats the best way i can describe it, and again only at higher speeds. confirmation?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
when going at higher speeds (55+) my engine, i noticed yesterday, would do a little hiccup thing. to me, it feels like a fuel delivery issue. either a clogging fuel filter, or dying fuel pump. with 214k miles on the clock, i have no idea whats been replaced..anyway, thats my thinking. its not a surge, or jump..it feels like a momentary dead spot, as if its not getting fuel...thats the best way i can describe it, and again only at higher speeds. confirmation?
Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail, if the pressue is lower the 43 PSI +/- 3PSI, replace the pump. If the pump passes then look into an ignition coil problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it suppose it would behoove me to invest in a good repair manual for specs reference. :p hopefully a fuel pressure gauge can be rented from oreillys or autozone.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
it suppose it would behoove me to invest in a good repair manual for specs reference. :p hopefully a fuel pressure gauge can be rented from oreillys or autozone.
You should be able to rent one, if you have a harbor freight you can buy one for real cheap. My fuel pump died at 125K miles, 16 years old though. Tell me how it goes for you. Ever need help I am more then happy to answer them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you get this resolved? I'm having similar problems and its driving me insane!!

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
with that mileage, i would do a SEA FOAM treatment, just in the fuel system

I wouldn't put it in the oil, you may clean something out that should stay dirty with build up

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sea foam does work good. Just don't put it in the vacuum lines, take your air hat off, pour it directly into the TB until engine dies, then pour a little more..let it sit 10 minutes, then start the truck, don't rev it much, just keep it running and let it run 5 minutes or so, then rev it, and really burn the junk out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts