DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, First post here, but I know forums are a really good place to get some other opinions!!! I have a 1995 ram 1500 318. The engine in my truck locked up. I went and bought a junkyard engine. I put in a new oil pump, and rolled a new set of rod and main bearings into it. I drove the truck for a couple of weeks and it started to get a ticking noise. I cut open the oil filter and no metal. I had a hunch it was a bad lifter, so I bought a set of lifters and went to put them in and found the camshaft had a bad lobe. Put a new camshaft in the truck. Pulled the coil wire off and cranked it for approx 20 seconds to build oil pressure. Started the truck and it fired right up. backed it out of the garage and wedged a stick between the pedal and seat to break in the cam. about 10 minutes later I got back in the truck and bumped the stick off the pedal and while trying to get it set back up the truck died. I tried to start it again and it just cranked and cranked. I let off and tried to crank it again and now it is locked up. . . kind of. . . I put a ratchet on the crank and it is locked. go the opposite direction and it will go approx 300 degrees the lock up again. I did put a new timing chain in the truck when I did the cam. I pulled the rockers out of the truck and tried to bar it over and it is still doing the same thing. Has me stumped. Any idea? Thanks for your help in advance

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hard to believe but a bad alternator bearing can cause an engine to actually die and refuse to turn over. Saw it many times on GM trucks.. and a few times on MOPARS.

Loosen the belt and try again.If your engine is a flat tappet I hope you didn't use an SM oil when you broke in the cam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the engine will turn over to a certain point then stop. If I turn the engine the other way it won't quite make it a full revolution, approx 300 degrees, then stops again. I did pull the spark plugs and still the same thing.

It has roller lifters. . . My only thought is that there is a lifter stuck in the bore and when it hits the cam lobe it stops the engine. . . Gonna think about it for a day or so and try to take a look at it on tuesday

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
found out what the problem was. Apparently I dropped a bolt down one of the intake ports. bent an intake valve. bolt was sitting on the of the piston in the number 3 cyl. that is why I couldn't bar the engine over 360. I think it dropped after the truck shut down and I tried to restart it. Hopefully I didn't do too much damage. Will get the head off this week, so hopefully I will find out more then. Just wanted to give you all the update in case someone else has same problem in the future. Live and learn I guess.

·
Banned
7,846 Posts
It really sucks, but from what you were saying, it's exactly what I was thinking. Working in the scrap yard I'd do it on purpose on an engine I knew was bad to get it to stop spinning while I was taking parts off.

I'd pull a plug and drop a bolt in there. So what you were saying made that kind of sense to me. I didn't stop to think that it had been done on accident...well truthfully I did, but I didn't want to say it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts