DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi i got that code from OReilly's P0455 - they said it was a evaporative system leak of some kind. I called the dealership and they said it could me any one of 20 things. I made an appointment for thursday.

I know my gas cap is good and i just filled up with fuel. It has been on for two weeks, but i did not drive it for the last week.

Any ideas what i can check myself to avoid the dealer charge?

PS i am checking youtube for vids just in case..

Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks K-Dawg ill check it out late this afternoon, its just tooo dang hot and humid outside right now... i really appreciate it :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OK found no hoses off, the connection at the filler tube seems to be good as well. So i guess the next thing i should do is probably replace the Evap Canister Vent Valve for $20. And if that dont work then replace the fuel tank pressure sensor -but i dont find a pressure sensor online - is there one on this model?

Does that sound like the way to go about this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same code. Dealer said it was seal where the fuel pump is attached to tank and quoted me $900 to fix. Blew it off, reset the light every now and again.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Wow thats alot of money...

I was told to replace the vent solenoid first, if the light did not go out then change the purge solenoid next, then if same issue replace the leak detection pump itself. If that didnt fix it then it could be anywhere, a small hole in a hose, a rotten hose where the hose clamp meets the rubber, a leaky canister, fuel pump seal, or even nothing at all (false reading)

So i could not afford the dealership fee after i paid the bills so i just crawled under there by the canisters and grabed some stuff and moved it around gently by hand. The next morning the light went out.

Im sure it will prob come on again sometime but for now its good. I also found out that if its a bad leak as it says, then you should smell fuel at some point.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
i GOT A WARNING FOR 2 SECONDS TO CHECK MY GAUGES, THEN THE TRUCK IMMEDIATLY SHUT OFF. lUCKILY i WAS DRIVING SLOW. i KNEW i HAD PUT A QUART OF WRONG WEIGHT OIL IN IT, BUT ON THE WAY TO GET AN OIL CHANGE, SAME THING HAPPENED. gOT 4 DIFFERENT CODES 150 MILES AWAY AT o'rILEYS. SORRY FOR CAPS. They said check after oil change. On the way, got same check guage and engine shut off again. Any clues. Just happy I wasn't in the mountains when this happened.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts