DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine light came on yesterday (the coldest day so far -17 deg Cel) while driving in the city.
The truck runs perfect so I have no idea why it happened.
I put my code detecter on when I got home and it came up 0300 , 0301 , 0302 and 0307.
Any sugestions please.
As I say it runs perfect, starts and drive perfect.
2002 5.9 Gas, 170,000 kilometers (about 100,000 miles.
Thanks and merry Christmas
Paul

G

·
Here ya go:

P0300 - Multiple misfires detected
P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire detected
P0307 - Guess... LOL

Might be some condensation in the cylinders or the distributor. There might have been a bit of ice!

·
Registered
738 Posts
what I could recommend is to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for about 15mins. reconnect and then see if the light comes again, this way you can confirm if you have a continual problem or just a 1 time hiccup

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I agree, It may have been ice, or just a glitch. As stated ^, you can unhook the negative terminal on the battery...but cycle the key once to drain the system, and re-attach it. It'll save the 15 minute wait.

The extreme cold may have contributed to the engine thinking that the plugs were misfiring, but they actually weren't.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
If it were me on top of unhooking the neg. terminal I would pull a spark plug on and see what they look like, but as stated more than likely it is condensation or ice!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok that makes sense as it was sitting out in the cold and freezing rain. It was very cold when I started it so I hope that it was this.
I will try doing what you suggest today.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Regards
Paul

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went to my garage today and he tested the Distributer cap and leads and sure enough they were shot.
Replaced them and all is fine now, the light went out as soon as this was done so Im happy now.
Thanks everyone for your help.
Have a great New Year

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts