DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out a problem I'm having with Engine Pinging at part Throttle and some times at WOT. Everything is new and rebuild 11 months ago and this issue started a month ago. There's no check engine light and has not been since the rebuild. The picture is what I saw kind of weird. What do you think

Picture 001.jpg Picture 002.jpg

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'm not sure how to read those voltages and percentages (or at least how to make any sense of them). Have you tried stock tune to see if it still does it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea stock tune does the same. Sean from Hemifever and I have been tuning the Truck and we had to remove lots of timing to just stop the pinging which kills the purpose of tuning for anything. today I have found the water coolant reservoir bottle but it is called degasser has a slight crack under the radiator cap. I just ordered another replacement and I have heard air in the system would likely cause engine pinging as well. is this true ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think that Harbor Freight tools has a Engine Stethoscope you could use while the engine is running to try to pinpoint the problem. It's only a couple bucks. That might help narrow it down. Depending on all the upgrades, could be anything.

You have a really nice truck, could you give a better list of the upgrades you have done and all aftermarket parts? It could help some professionals on here to help you out a whole lot better. I would hate to have something catastrophic happen. More info could help you out better.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joesph for the comment on how my truck looks, Well I used the Tool that one of the reasons I have it before the rebuild when I found the Valve Tick. Everything seem to be working as it should and sound right. To remind you that the engine pinging is like a lean or timing pinging not a tick or knock . The truck has been doing very well with all the upgrades until last month when all this started. below is the list of upgrades

70mm Throttle Body
AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 2
Electric Fan w/ Controller
SCT Hemifever Performance Custom Tune
180 JET Thermostat
Powerwire
AirRam Jet Scoop
Royal Purple Motor Oil 10W 30 & Filter
275/60 R17
DJM lowering shackles 1/2 inch
C-Max Brake Front and Rear Upgrade
Fully rebuild Block and Heads .020 over pistons and Bore
Sonnex Transmission line Booster 15-30psi

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Possibly the winter gas supply catching up with you. I noticed only a little over a week ago that my truck was indicating about 10 degrees warmer under the usual running conditions. Only time I see it do this is when they "tip the can" and it has the ethanol in it, typically in the cooler months. Always runs cooler on straight gas. Even if your temp gauge hasn't changed, you could still have higher cylinder head temps causing the pings.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'm not sure that this would be the problem, but I'd remove the "power wire". I don't know that the IAT makes timing adjustments, I know it adjusts a/f ratios, but I'm convinced they don't do any good and only do harm. You could unplug it to at least see if it makes a difference. I'm pretty much stumped man...sorry!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Powerwire has been off the first thing I done that I know would cause an a/F change.
There's no Misfire or codes of any kind. The truck feels like a brand new Luxury car Very smooth and quiet .
Are you saying you took off the power wire and it stopped pinging? Or you took off the power wire and it was no change?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Any update?

Not sure if this will help at all but I took some pics of what mine's doing. The numbers bounce around a lot so it may not be a great representation....and I don't really know how to read them anyway. This is at idle while warm.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea mine does the same what I have read the rear O2 sensor needs to be changed and also the catalytic needs to be checked. I have read that if there is barely a reading or any at all that the Catalytic convertor might be getting Clogged. I'm Still dealing with the Issue and I think I'm going to change the cat cause its the last thing to change. I have changed all the Sensors and Cleaned all the injectors nothing is left except the CAT lets hope that's it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts